Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-15-05, 10:17 AM   #1
Adam_eM

Default An old Riva TNT 2 Ultra on SuSE 10

Hi there

Please, show some mercy since this is my first post here
I'm looking for a solution of how to install the nvidia 7174 driver on SuSE 10.0. Yast did not succeed during the installation attempt, so I decided to do it manually, as igiven in SuSE HOWTO readme file. Unfortunatelly it comes to nothing because my x-server fails to run (sax as well). I attach my SaX.log file, and xorg log
Attached Files
File Type: log SaX.log (22.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (14.0 KB, 103 views)
Adam_eM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 10:44 AM   #2
debian_penguin
Linux Addicted

Default Re: An old Riva TNT 2 Ultra on SuSE 10

Hi Adam_eM!

As I see from your Xorg.0.log, it looks like the nvidia module dies after framebuffer initialization, just before recognizing the card model and BIOS. There are lots of possible reasons, could you please post your system's hardware specs, config, kernel...

Then I'd try some of those:
1) in a shell type "lsmod |grep fb". If you see something like "nvidiafb, or rivafb", try with "/sbin/modprobe -r nvidiafb (or rivafb, of course, or whatever)". Then try starting X again.

2) Looks like your card is not recognized, have you tried the last 8174 driver from nvidia's ftp site?

3) does X work if you use a different driver (i.e. xorg's nv, or maybe even the generic vesa driver)?

Good luck,

d_p
Laptop HP Pavilion zv5000: AMD Athlon 3000+ (32 bit); Nvidia GeForce4 440 Go! 64 Mb, 8774 driver revision; 768 MB PCI2700; nForce3 mobo chipset and audiocard, other uninteresting stuff... Debian unstable-experimental, custom 2.6.17 kernel debian-patched
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
debian_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 11:18 AM   #3
Adam_eM

Thanks for your reply.
I'm just downloading the drivers (both: 7174 and the latest one). We'll see if it works, but first I'll give you some details as asked.

The card is RIVA TNT2 Ultra (32 megs onboard), the X works well when i'm using an nv driver. My preffered resolution is 1280x1024 (the highest my hardware can handle) - all those on a SyncMaster 763 MB display, which actually is unrecognized by the system, so I use vesa as my monitor model.
The distribution is - as I said - SuSE 10.0 kernel: 2.6.13-15-default the xorg version is 6.8.2. One more thing: when I was trying to gain the solution on some irc channel, one dude told me that the driver doesn't fit my xorg/kernel version since I have undefined sybmols (an entry in my xorg log/sax log as I suppose). Maybe this would help a bit in seek of solving my problem.
Old 12-15-05, 12:14 PM   #4
debian_penguin
Linux Addicted

Hi Adam_eM, thank you for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_eM
Thanks for your reply.

The distribution is - as I said - SuSE 10.0 kernel: 2.6.13-15-default the xorg version is 6.8.2. One more thing: when I was trying to gain the solution on some irc channel, one dude told me that the driver doesn't fit my xorg/kernel version since I have undefined sybmols (an entry in my xorg log/sax log as I suppose).
This is quite strange: I couldn't see any "unresolved symbol" warning in your Xorg log, actually no warning at all, just the ending fatal error. However, usually unresolved symbols do not cause problems as far as the module is correctly built and loaded into the kernel (as it seems to be the case). I have two questions now which may (or may not...) be useful:

1) does X start just after installing the video driver? I mean: without a reboot.
2) try and have a look if you have those files, and if they are writable:
/dev/nvidia# and /dev/nvidiactl. They should exist and be writable by the user.

One last thing, could you post also the /var/log/nvidia-installer.log file and a bug report? I think they are useful for the devs to help you finding the problem (if we can't manage to do it here).

Best,

d_p
Laptop HP Pavilion zv5000: AMD Athlon 3000+ (32 bit); Nvidia GeForce4 440 Go! 64 Mb, 8774 driver revision; 768 MB PCI2700; nForce3 mobo chipset and audiocard, other uninteresting stuff... Debian unstable-experimental, custom 2.6.17 kernel debian-patched
Old 12-15-05, 12:18 PM   #5
debian_penguin
Linux Addicted

ops, one last thing: I've never used suse on nvidia systems, but if I'm not wrong they have a really good forum for hardware issues. Maybe you can have a look there, too, if you didn't already.

best again,

d_p
Old 12-15-05, 12:27 PM   #6
debian_penguin
Linux Addicted

Here I am with the error!!! How stupid I was!

Sorry, I didn't know SAX reported also messages from dmesg, or other!

Here's the trick! It looks like the module you compiled didn't load in your kernel. I'm such a stupid, but I didn't see it before. It seems to be clear that the module you compile with 7174 release doesn't load on your kernel (undefined symbols are not important for the Xorg's modules, but they are critical for kernel module interfaces). So, now it's essential to understand why. If it is just a compatibility problem (I don't remember which one was released before, if your kernel or your nvidia driver), it will for sure be resolved by a newer driver. Otherwise... it would be useful to have your nvidia-installer log to have a look at.

I apologize again for the disattention,
best regards,

d_p
Old 12-15-05, 03:31 PM   #7
Adam_eM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debian_penguin
If it is just a compatibility problem (I don't remember which one was released before, if your kernel or your nvidia driver), it will for sure be resolved by a newer driver. Otherwise... it would be useful to have your nvidia-installer log to have a look at.

I apologize again for the disattention,
best regards,

d_p
Well thank you for your help anyways. The latest driver my card can handle is the 7174 release, the newer ones doesn't support it anymore... so what should I wait for actually ? The newer driver won''t help since it will not support the card as well . Is there any possibility to cope it anyway somehow, or am I forced to wait untill the legacy gpu drivers come out, which sounds just like a myth...
Old 12-15-05, 03:46 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

A new legacy driver release is planned for early 2006.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-05, 03:56 PM   #9
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Which unresolved symbol is this? Please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log file. Please also note that there's several update patches available for 1.0-7174 that may resolve your problem, see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50150.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 02:44 AM   #10
debian_penguin
Linux Addicted

well, there's something else you can do, if you can't manage to get newer drivers to work: somewhere in this forum there's a patch for the older 6629 driver that worked great 'till newer kernels (2.6.14 for me). It should be here with instructions to get it work: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56926.

Hope at least this helps,

best,

d_p