Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-03, 02:09 AM   #1
darron

Default Please Help!

I am tring to install the newest NVIDIA Drivers for my TNT2 M64 card under RedHat 7.3. I followed the installation instruction. When I tried to start the X server. The system froze. I checked the log file, no error happened before the system hanging: Modules was loaded ...

What's wrong with that? Thanks in advance.
darron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-03, 02:48 AM   #2
crimsun

When you boot into Linux, do you have a graphical penguin logo in the upper corner of your screen (signifying framebuffer mode)? If so, the Nvidia accelerated drivers provided on their website are known to not play nicely with rivafb or vesafb. You need to make sure those modules aren't loaded and the kernel isn't compiled with those options marked 'y' or 'm'.

Further troubleshooting will be made easier if you post as attachments your /etc/X11/XF86Config and /var/log/XFree86.0.log
crimsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-03, 07:39 AM   #3
cdrradar

Another place to look is the kernel command line, be it in LILO, GRUB, or Loadlin. The thing to look for is the line that starts with "vga=", followed by a number. If that's the case, change it to say "vga=normal", or "vga=extended". normal results in a 80x25 terminal, while extended results in a 80x50 terminal. You lose the penguin, unfortunately...
cdrradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-03, 12:46 PM   #4
darron

Thanks, Crimsun and Cdrradar. There is no penguin in my screen. But seems I have via chip in my motherboard.

I attached a zip file which includes XF86Config-4 XFree86.0.log, and modules.conf. I hope some can figure out what wrong there.

I am tring to install the newest NVIDIA Drivers for my TNT2 M64 card under RedHat 7.3. I followed the installation instruction. When I tried to start the X server. The system froze. I checked the log file, no error happened before the system hanging: Modules was loaded ...
Attached Files
File Type: zip config.zip (5.6 KB, 122 views)
Old 01-11-03, 07:31 AM   #5
azerty

I think you have the same problem than me. You'll probably get the drivers working if you disable the AGP by setting Option "NvAGP" "0" in the Device section of de XF86Config. I can't get the AGP working in any way and I've tried a lot of things, look at the post lockup & ascii junks.

P.D: excuse me for my english

Last edited by azerty; 01-11-03 at 07:46 AM.
azerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-03, 01:12 PM   #6
darron

Default I've have a solution

Thank Azerty! I've find out my problem now: It's becasue of my ATM network card. After I unplugged it, everything works great. I am not good at X, so I can't explain that. The box can't even bring up the WindowsXP with the card. Guess the card takes some system resource which is essential for the OS.