Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-03, 01:19 PM   #61
irv_sfs

i'm using a hitachi lcd and using the latest nvidia drivers i've been experimenting with the

Option "FlatPanelSettings" stuff... absolutely no difference for me, but if someone else could try a few combinations?

full info is in /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README
irv_sfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 04:53 PM   #62
rkh

Default w00t

irv_sfs: you da man! I knew must've been a doc somewhere with all the options in it. I couldn't turn off the scaling in my display, but when I added this:

Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = aspect-scaled"

right near my NVAGP option, everything started working for me. YMMV, but I'm spending some quality time with totem now
rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 05:18 PM   #63
irv_sfs

rkh: YOU are the man!

that's sorted it for me also, i must just have been blind to that string :P

NVIDIA: how about putting this in known issues or the FAQ or something?
Old 08-21-03, 10:51 PM   #64
puterguy

Quote:
Originally posted by rkh
Puterguy:

Bear in mind that DVI is a digital interface. There's a protocol involved, and I bet that part of that involves specifing scaling(I'm not going to register with the DDWG to get the spec, can someone confirm this?). I did look up your panel, though, and found this:

http://www.viewsonic.com/pdf/VG171_171b.pdf

The second bulleted item states, "Displays a native resolution of 1280x1024 for incredible detail and clarity[haha] lower resolutions are scaled to full screen using a third-generation processor with variable sharpness control"

I bet that NVIDIA's driver on Linux is opting for the panel scaling by default. Here's a lame review of my screen:

[
Very interesting... but I am not sure that this type of scaling is the problem. It seems that the above quote is talking about how the monitor which has a physical resolution of 1280x1024 scales up other screen resolutions (which is a tricky but classical problem in image interpolation).

This shouldn't apply to the problem of this thread since I am already running at the native 1280x1024 resolution.

The "scaling" that a video player does is different. It is simply resizing a window that lies naturally within the 1280x1024 screen (note: the jaggies problem occurs even if you don't scale the image to fullscreen -- I get it when I simply stretch a video-playing window to somewhere between approx 1.5x and 2x)

I would have thought that the monitor itself would be unaware of this since in all cases it is displaying a 1280x1024 screen (the only thing that changes is what proportion of the screen is devoted to the video window).

Please let me know if I am thinking about this wrong...
Intel P4 2.8GHz
1.5GB PC2700 DDR Kingston
Leadtek Ultra A250 GF4 4600 128MB with VIVO/TVO
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
puterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 11:04 PM   #65
puterguy

Default Re: w00t

Quote:
Originally posted by rkh
irv_sfs: you da man! I knew must've been a doc somewhere with all the options in it. I couldn't turn off the scaling in my display, but when I added this:

right near my NVAGP option, everything started working for me. YMMV, but I'm spending some quality time with totem now
Not near my computer now, so I can't try it...
But this would explain some things.
For example, it would explain why if you have two videos working, the second one doesn't get jaggies. The reason being that the first one probably uses the built-in display scaler but the second one then is forced to use the nvidia scaler (which is what the aspect-scaled option does).

It would also be interesting to know whether the "scaled" option also works or whether you need to use "aspect-scaled".

However, still not clear why the scaler works at 60Hz refresh but not at 75Hz and why it works at some screen resolutions but not at others (including the native 1280x1024 resolution!)

Also, presumably if the scaling is broken on the display, then similar problems should happen when running windoze video players (unless they by default use a software scaler or drop down to 60Hz refresh).
Intel P4 2.8GHz
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
Old 08-21-03, 11:06 PM   #66
puterguy

Default Re: w00t

Quote:
Originally posted by rkh

One more question, does using nVidia software scaling slow down performance on other video applications (e.g., games or glgears)? Also, does software scaling add a significant drain on cpu power?

It would be good to know if there is a price to pay here and how significant it may be.
Intel P4 2.8GHz
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
Old 08-25-03, 06:33 AM   #67
irv_sfs

well really i think we need to determine why the native scaler doesnt work for all of us, even when we're at the native resolution. that still sounds like a driver problem to me and this is just a temporary fix.

as for the performance implications, i couldn't say. my box is an old nintendo cartridge slot A athlon and everything seems slow to me these days. I can play fullscreen dvd with no slowdown with mplayer though.

someone with time ir their hands should benchmark it :P
Old 08-25-03, 06:34 AM   #68
irv_sfs

whoops, nearly forgot.

no, "scaled" does NOT work, only aspect-scaled.

Old 08-25-03, 07:08 AM   #69
Who_cares

The 'aspect-scaled' option just changes the resolution back to 60hz which doesn't really solve anything because we already know that works. Find me some soltuion thaqt works with 80hz

Greetz
Who_cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-03, 08:33 AM   #70
irv_sfs

yes well, we don't know why this is happening and NVIDIA refuse to even acknowledge it, so bug them about finding a solution
Old 08-25-03, 02:16 PM   #71
puterguy

Anybody know why nVidia seems to be almost purposely ignoring this bug?

This thread has more contributions and more pageviews than almost any other non-official nVidia thread. Moreover, the bug itself has been rigorously documented and replicated by multiple users. Multiple users have notified nVidia of the problem multiple times.

Yet, nVidia remains silent!!!

Why are they unwilling to help resolve (or at the least acknowledge) this bug!!!!
Intel P4 2.8GHz
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
Old 08-25-03, 03:32 PM   #72
rkh

puterguy:

you're right.. even if we got some acknowledgement.. even just a "hey, we'll do some testing and let you guys know what's up" it would be a marked improvement..

I hope they realize that HL2 will be out at the end of september. I'm going to need a new card a week or so before that hits. hint.. hint..
rkh is offline   Reply With Quote