Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-28-03, 11:47 PM   #73
kareemy

Hey,

Its been a while. My friend noticed that the same exact bug exists in windows the latest nvidia drivers as well.

Does anyone here have windows and maybe we could call tech support for the problem in windows and see what the fix is or could be? Because if the bug exists in windows, they must be working on some type of fix for it in the next set of windows drivers, i would hope.

Oh well, its late. I hope this info can help get some ideas about how we can approach nvidia to get the linux drivers fixed.
kareemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 12:28 AM   #74
puterguy

Still waiting for nVidia to respond/acknowledge problem...
Intel P4 2.8GHz
1.5GB PC2700 DDR Kingston
Leadtek Ultra A250 GF4 4600 128MB with VIVO/TVO
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
puterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-03, 11:31 PM   #75
joev

Send a message via ICQ to joev Send a message via AIM to joev
Default similar problems

I've also had this error every once and a while. I have a Geforce 4 4200 Ti and a ViewSonic VG191 (1280x1024, 60hz) and am using the DVI interface. The error didn't occur very often, however, so I've since forgotten why they were there and how I made them go away. More recently, though, I've been having problems where some pixels seem to be leaking to the right and left... that is, scattered around in the video are rows of about 10 or 20 pixels of the same color, centered on a pixel which really is that color. For example, if the video was all black with a thin vertical white line running down the center there would be (seemingly randomly placed) white horizontal lines of about 20 pixels centered on that white line.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm getting these kind of jaggies instead of the old kind of jaggies that I used to get, but the conditions are exactly the same... that is, it only happens with hardware video overlay (and not in 3d or anything) and only once I size the video up to about full screen. The only difference between the situations that you guys are having and that I am having is that my jaggies have always occurred at 60 Hz (why would you care about higher refresh rates on an LCD, anyway?).

It was easily repeatable and, in fact, I couldn't figure out how to get rid of them. I booted into windows and noticed THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM with windows mediaplayer at full screen. So, there's nothing linux-specific about it.

I recently hooked up my analog monitor and started using twinview on clone to see if my analog monitor would show the jaggies too (I wasn't sure what the problem was at that point), and, for some reason, that seems to have fixed the problem. Neither display exhibits either kind of jaggies! It may be that the twinview mode forces that aspect scaling mode... who knows.

Also, because you guys were mentioning the problems having to do with refresh rate, I just checked, and my LCD is now running at 75 Hz. So, maybe that's what did it.

I'm sure NVidia will start looking into this sooner or later (since it's a problem on windows, too), but at the moment it's such a minor issue that I don't really care too much -- the way I have it set up now works fine without any jaggies... and it sounds like that aspect-scaling fix works well, too. It *would* be useful for them to put that in the FAQ somewhere, though.
joev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-03, 11:42 AM   #76
hkmaly
GeForce MX 2??

Default Re: Good detective work

Quote:
Originally posted by puterguy
You are right about VertRefresh (and about my having an LCD as my profile shows
Setting it to 60 Hz does resolve the black line question.

But... I still have a couple of questions:
2. I'm still not sure why starting another video first also "solves" the problem, since this should not effect the refresh rate. What is going on?

3. Won't setting refresh to 60Hz (rather than the 75Hz max of my LCD) adversely affect fast moving action like games?

Any other thoughts on next steps?

Jeff
2) Maybee because problem is only with video accelerated using overlay and your card/driver combination can't use two overlays ...

3) You mean you need 75 fps ? Really ? I though quake stop at 50 fps because noone see difference ... and TV's and DVD's have 30 fps or 24 fps and even in fastest scenes it seem enough.
hkmaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-03, 08:30 AM   #77
irv_sfs

doom was capped at a certain fps, no subsequent games are as far as i know. however the fps can be tied to your refresh rate with vblanking, so there is a need for > 60hz in many cases.

still not even an acknowledgement on this, has anyone tested the 4620 beta drivers to see if its been addressed? if nobody has I'll give them a go and report back...
irv_sfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-03, 01:47 AM   #78
puterguy

Just some more confirmation that problem is due to the card/driver and not due to the LCD display. I have now tried 3 different LCD displays from different manufacturers and have had the same "jaggie" problem on all of them.

Still waiting for nVidia to at least acknowledge problem and give some heads up on when and/or whether they intend to address the bug.
Intel P4 2.8GHz
1.5GB PC2700 DDR Kingston
Leadtek Ultra A250 GF4 4600 128MB with VIVO/TVO
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
puterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-04, 01:20 PM   #79
irv_sfs

using 5328 and STILL, jaggies using > 60hz and dvi.

can NVIDIA _please_ put this into known issues at least. or go nuts and fix it.
irv_sfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-04, 09:40 AM   #80
Timmmm

Default Re: BUG: Interleaved black lines when playing video at full screen

Well, using the aspect-scaled option *mostly* fixed it for me. It still has a few intermittant lines annoyingly. These aren't present at 60 Hz.

And I just found a dead pixel. Godamnit.
Timmmm is offline   Reply With Quote