Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-22-05, 02:57 PM   #1
DiscipleDOC

Question Popular benchmarking tools?

With the box I have below, I'm starting to get back into the overclocking business. What are the popular benchmarking apps out, and why do you recommend it?
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-05, 04:52 PM   #2
OWA

Default Re: Popular benchmarking tools?

3DMark (various versions) -- probably most popular so easiest to compare results (although, there is some debate about how well it translates to actual game play)

SuperPI -- cpu type benchmark but memory settings also have an effect (the first few rounds are pretty quick and this can also be a good test for overclocking -- stability -- when running the longer ones)

Doom 3 timedemo -- good opengl benchmark

Fear built-in benchmark -- recent, plus this game heats up my computer more than most so it's also a good check for stability

Fraps -- for monitoring framerates in any game and for taking screenshots (it also has a benchmark function)

Benchemall -- lets you benchmark a bunch of popular games with various settings pretty easily
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-05, 08:48 PM   #3
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

What OWA said + Aquamark3 for CPU/Memory (like mem latency) & GFX testing. the gfx part might not be that effective in this benchmark though esp with the new high-end video cards & SLI/XF configs.

VIAVGA Doom3 benchmark - this benchmark is even better & more stressing than Doom3's own.. it was a good place to test 1) my Opengl performance , 2) dual-core CPU performance , 3) my video cards overclocking potential.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-05, 10:34 PM   #4
OWA

How could I forget Via's doom 3 benchmark! Good call since that one really stresses things.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote