Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-03-06, 03:34 PM   #1
Remowylliams

Default Why continue with NVIDIA?

It has been a year now. I've done everything I can to get a response from NVIDIA and no luck. They are a chip maker, they don't support their product. And this is why I really can't see why anyone would want to use their products any more.

I have an HP zd7140US laptop with a GoFX 5200 Nvidia graphics chip. This machine has not had the ability to recover from standby or hybernate since updating to the last video driver 6681 more than a year ago.

I use to be a strong supporter of Nvidia, I felt they made an amazing number of 3D graphic enhancements and innovations in their time. But it wasn't till I got a laptop with an Nvidia chip that I truly came to understand why others might want to use a different company like ATI.

I have used their support facility and gone round and round trying to get some response but none showed up. More than a few times I asked HP if a new driver came out and they had not heard of one.

What's the use of having a product from a company if they won't support it? Now with the new wave of drivers, many chips are being left to their last set of drivers and the chip pile will slowly increase. What problems will Nvidia avoid solving by depreciating old chips with their drivers?

I was ecstatic when I saw the Go 7800 driver but reading quickly let me know that it was only for a select few Go 7800 chips and wouldn't work with my chip.

I wasn't looking for any more functionality out of my graphic chips other than what it should do. Recover from Standby or Hibernate without me needing to power off and back on the machine. I've noted that this problem has been around for a while.

Anyone with info on how to work through this problem I would enjoy hearing from you. Anyone who knows how to really get support from Nvidia. I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks and happy new year everyone.

Remo
Remowylliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-06, 06:23 PM   #2
yooyo

Send a message via ICQ to yooyo
Default Re: Why continue with NVIDIA?

1. Only laptop vendor give driver support. This mean, ASK HP for fresh display driver.
2. Since HP, Toshiba and other laptop vendors doesn't release fresh drivers, some guy at www.laptopvideo2go.com (l-a-p-t-o-p-v-i-d-e-o-2-g-o) have made a mod's for "regular" drivers. So, just download fresh driver and get moded .inf file from lv2go site and install.

I have my 5600Go on ACER laptop and Im using this moded drivers without any problem.

yooyo
Old 01-04-06, 09:29 AM   #3
Remowylliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooyo
1. Only laptop vendor give driver support. This mean, ASK HP for fresh display driver.
2. Since HP, Toshiba and other laptop vendors doesn't release fresh drivers, some guy at www.laptopvideo2go.com (l-a-p-t-o-p-v-i-d-e-o-2-g-o) have made a mod's for "regular" drivers. So, just download fresh driver and get moded .inf file from lv2go site and install.

I have my 5600Go on ACER laptop and Im using this moded drivers without any problem.

yooyo
This is the answer to a long awaited want. Thank you Yooyo very much, the modified inf file from www.laptopvideo2go.com worked like a charm. I'm running 81.98 and hibernate and standby work perfectly.

I'm practically giddy. I can use my laptop on battery again and not fear it's gone into a state I'll have to shut it down to bring it back. Many thanks to the people who know this mumbo jumbo and can make it work for us the great unwashed masses. Time to take a bath.

Thanks again and happy new year!

Yes NV News saved my sanity and sense of good choice for picking a laptop with an Nvidia chip. A satisfied patron.
Old 01-04-06, 09:39 AM   #4
Blackcat

Tweaks R Us also makes good laptop modded drivers. Here is a link. http://www.tweaksrus.com/index.php?o...163&Itemid=41/. They are both very good.
Old 01-04-06, 12:33 PM   #5
evilchris

NVIDIA can't be expected to support laptops. Laptop vendors add the chip to a custom motherboard. How can NV possibly be expected to support all the variations?
Old 01-04-06, 02:32 PM   #6
ricercar
fugue master

Arrow I have to ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remowylliams
I've done everything I can to get a response from NVIDIA and no luck. They are a chip maker, they don't support their product. ... I have an HP zd7140US laptop
It's good you're running again.

But I have to ask: why are you expecting NVIDIA to support a Hewlett Packard product? You don't contact Sharp if your Dell LCD goes bad; you don't contact 3M if the Scotchguard is bad on your automobile seat covers, and you don't contact DuPont if a plastic toy breaks prematurely.

After fifteen years in the electronics industry, I still don't undertstand why people expect OEMs like NVIDIA to support products sold by other vendors. Meh. OEMs don't provide end-user customer support. You must contact the manufacturer of the product you bought.
Old 01-04-06, 03:22 PM   #7
Remowylliams

Default Re: I have to ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricercar
It's good you're running again.

But I have to ask: why are you expecting NVIDIA to support a Hewlett Packard product? You don't contact Sharp if your Dell LCD goes bad; you don't contact 3M if the Scotchguard is bad on your automobile seat covers, and you don't contact DuPont if a plastic toy breaks prematurely.

After fifteen years in the electronics industry, I still don't undertstand why people expect OEMs like NVIDIA to support products sold by other vendors. Meh. OEMs don't provide end-user customer support. You must contact the manufacturer of the product you bought.
Because you get use to getting drivers from the source. If you buy a Nvidia card from eVGA and you want the latest drivers made. You go to eVGA and look and there it is, a driver set that is a month older than your card. You snatch it up and install it in your system and you see you still have a problem.

Then you see that Nvidia has the latest latest driver that's not a 66 version but a 72 version. Holy cow that's gotta fix you problem. You hear how other people have fixed this problem or that problem on various websites just by installing this Beta driver whatever.

Then of course there's this fact that Nvidia doesn't put out a FAQ explaining laptops are a special situation. That requires direct manufacturer support. And when the Manufacture says we're waiting for another driver from Nvidia and it doesn't come. Well where do you need to look?

All you see when you try to install the driver for your laptop with one from the nvidia site is. 'This driver is not designed to work with your video card....' It kind of makes you go Hmmm did they just make the Go chip and are now not going to support it? Blah blah blah.

If 'You' understand where and how these drivers come about. Did you get that info from your general experience with computers Like any user would or did you get it from exposure to more technical experiences etc?

I can't tell you how many times I've heard techno-geeks say yeah well all you have to do is this and this.. install the latest block driver interface yadah yadah... like it should be plain and simple as breathing air.

A user is told. Well if this isn't working for you, your machine is unstable etc. Get the latest driver and see if that fixes it. This is of course a user not a techno-geek. They think ok well the latest driver is April 2004 and it's January 2006.. crap maybe I can get something from the chip maker. It's got an nvidia chip, there's a sticker right on the computer that says so.

Deride me all you like for looking to NVidia to fix my problem. I'm a little more savvy computerwise than the average computer user. So I know when something isn't working generally where to look first. But in the end. NVidia did provide the fix for my problem. I just needed a tweaked .inf file to make it install right.

So I ask you ricercar, why couldn't NVidia have said go ask folks at NVnews, go look at www.laptop2go.com, sent back even 1 email reply to my question?

No I don't go to 3M to complain about Scotchguard. Generally because 3M isn't going to come out with a driver I can install to fix the functionality of the product

I would go to Phillips however if I found 1000 units had a chip made by them failed and ask if they have a newer chip to fix it.

Again I thank the patrons of this site. I wouldn't have learned any of this if it wasn't for you and me finding the place and asking the question.

Happy New year
Old 01-04-06, 03:40 PM   #8
MikeC
Administrator

Happy New Year too you. I'm glad you have found the fix to your problem.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote