Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-23-05, 12:25 AM   #1
Telomerase

Default General Cedega support

when using Cedega's new internal scheduler is it unnessacary to use the renice option or to renice the wineserver. would it be detrimental to performance to renice the wineserver in conjunction with the internal scheduler?

Telomerase is an enzyme that adds telomere repeat sequences to the 3' end of DNA strands. By lengthening this strand DNA polymerase is able to complete the synthesis of the "incomplete ends" of the opposite strand.
Telomerase:

* is a ribonucleoprotein;
* Its single RNA molecule provides an AAUCCC (in mammals) template to guide the insertion of TTAGGG.
* Its protein component called TERT ("TElomere Reverse Transcriptase") provides the catalytic action.
* Thus telomerase is a reverse transcriptase; synthesizing DNA from an RNA template.
Telomerase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-05, 10:44 AM   #2
a7v

Default Re: General Cedega support

Not that this has much to do with Nvidia's drivers but...
For the games I've tried I've found it better to use the older renice option instead of the new scheduler. Anarchy Online takes a lot longer to start up with the new scheduler and I haven't noticed any improvement compared to the old scheduler. For Fallout 1/2 I've found that the best solution is to use "nice -n 19" to get smooth and fast fade effects.
Graphics Cards: TNT2, GF 2 MX, GF 2 Pro, GF4 MX, GF FX 5500, GF 6600, GF 7600 GT, GF 9800GT
a7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-05, 11:16 AM   #3
LubosD

Send a message via ICQ to LubosD

Renice increases priority - it can only increase process' performance when there are some other CPU eating tasks.
I used to use renice but I don't need it anymore since I've enabled preemptible kernel.

BTW - please decrease font size of your signature
LubosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-05, 05:29 PM   #4
Telomerase

i'm mainly trying to get a smoother experience in gta: san andreas... renice wineserver option is enabled along with the internal scheduler on kernel 2.6.14.4 (pre-empted low latency desktop, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~/.transgaming/config
[AppDefaults\\gta_sa.exe\\d3dgl]
"Windows" = "winxp"
"PixelShaders" = "N"
"FBO" = "N"
"NV_VAR" = "Y"
"DynamicVBO" = "N"
"IndexVBO" = "N"
"Scheduler" = "Y"
"VertexShaders" = "Y"
i use "cedega gta-sa.exe -dxlevel 90"

any suggestions?

Telomerase is an enzyme that adds telomere repeat sequences to the 3' end of DNA strands. By lengthening this strand DNA polymerase is able to complete the synthesis of the "incomplete ends" of the opposite strand.
Telomerase:

* is a ribonucleoprotein;
* Its single RNA molecule provides an AAUCCC (in mammals) template to guide the insertion of TTAGGG.
* Its protein component called TERT ("TElomere Reverse Transcriptase") provides the catalytic action.
* Thus telomerase is a reverse transcriptase; synthesizing DNA from an RNA template.
Telomerase is offline   Reply With Quote