Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-24-05, 02:10 PM   #1
Elvin Presler

Angry More on the hijacking popups here

OK, they hijack the entire browser window, all of it, including the title bar, tool bars, and address bar. Then clicking anywhere acts as a link to the popup. So it's more being forced to click links than popups. Then it just goes on and on. Every 30 seconds - 2 minutes a new one.

It ONLY happens on this site! So if I am infected with spyware/adware, whatever...I got it here and it only attacks me here. This has been going on for weeks and several clean Windows installs. This is not a knee jerk reaction.

This was the main page when it started just now

This was the first popup, flash, but url's are in the title bars on some of them. Probably bull**** urls but....

Then, as I am typing this post, this one, when closed it spawns the next one...

The fake warning is spawned from the last popup, then this new one poped up with it as I was trying to printscreen.

This URL was on the address bar of one of them not pictured here:
http://inqwire.com/index_tiny.asp?st...=3&fld=15&sp=0
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 06:17 PM   #2
einstein_314
w00t!!

Default Re: More on the hijacking popups here

Have you tried using a different web browser? This is really weird. I have yet to have a pop up from this site. I don't know why you're the only one having this problem. Kinda weird. Makes me think its not the site. But I've read your other thread and it doesn't look like you'r'e infected. Weird.
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 07:13 PM   #3
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314
Have you tried using a different web browser? This is really weird. I have yet to have a pop up from this site. I don't know why you're the only one having this problem. Kinda weird. Makes me think its not the site. But I've read your other thread and it doesn't look like you'r'e infected. Weird.
He's not the only one. I had a problem with this as well though I haven't had a pop up again in a few days.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-05, 09:14 PM   #4
Elvin Presler

I should have clarified that. That would be because I name it that as a joke. I have a registry file I made that I double click to make a few registry changes quickly when I install Windows that includes my bandwidth connection tweaks and other stuff, including "popup generator pro". I've had it like that for years.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Window Title"="Popup Generator Pro"

I am not hijacked. This site, or one of it's banners, or something is the source. I have installed Windows, fresh (not from my backup image even) completely offline, then came straight to this site first thing after connecting my network cable. Nowhere else. And the popups started here...and nowhere else.

If you don't get them, maybe you have a popup stopper working for you or whatever, but these popups are coming from this site. My built in Windows popup stopper is set to medium and Spybot is updated and blocking whatever it blocks...and they still popup here. Not every time I visit, just sometimes.
Old 11-24-05, 09:25 PM   #5
Elvin Presler

Actually, I didn't. Hahaha. I just thought it was funny, so when I learned to change it years ago, that's what I named it.
Old 11-24-05, 11:05 PM   #6
einstein_314
w00t!!

Well, I just spent half an hour on this site using IE with no pop up blockers, I don't have spybot installed, no MS antispyware. Nothing. IE security set to medium (It won't let it go lower than that for some reason). No pop ups. No freezing. No nothing . Everything was 100% normal.
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 09:44 PM   #7
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

In the 6yrs I've been here, I've never once experienced a popup produced by browsing this site, this includes using IE, Firefox, Opera or any other browser. You have spyware on your machine but it wasn't produced by this site or our web host.

Stupid question: have you tried a different browser? I also find it hard to believe you did a fresh windows install, immediately browsed this site and got pop ups. Doesn't make sense but then again, maybe there's something I'm missing?
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 09:53 PM   #8
oldsk00l

I disabled popup blocking just for kicks and uhm, elvin nvnews doesn't generate popups.

Your own system is the source of your problem, sorry to put it that way but...ya gots to hear the truth sometimes

Old 11-28-05, 10:13 PM   #9
Elvin Presler

Cool Re: More on the hijacking popups here

Quote:
Originally Posted by |JuiceZ|
...You have spyware on your machine but it wasn't produced by this site or our web host.

Stupid question: have you tried a different browser? I also find it hard to believe you did a fresh windows install, immediately browsed this site and got pop ups. Doesn't make sense but then again, maybe there's something I'm missing?
Whatever. Believe what you choose, but I did come straight here from a clean install, about 3 times over the last month or so in fact. My system is absolutely clean. The only remote possibility is a banner or something from this site is loading a cookie (I block 3rd party cookies), java script, or whatever. I don't get popups ANYWHERE ELSE, unless of course it's a site known for them...then I fire up Ad Muncher before I go there.

I'm not interested in using another browser. I used Firefox and Opera for a bit and didn't care for them.

I don't always get the popups here either, but when I do, they always behave the same (hijacking the entire browser window), and always happen here, and here only. If I close my browser, delete cookies and clear cache then come straight back, usually all is well....for a while. I have not had any popups for about 3 days now. If I had any kind of spyware, that would not be the case.

The popups were caused by this site or something on it. Period. So don't try to make me look like a clueless fool because "the powers that be" can't keep the advertisers here clean.
Old 11-28-05, 11:07 PM   #10
OWA

I use IE and Ad Muncher and I don't get any popups. Have you tried updating ad muncher's filters? There was an update not too long ago.

Edit: Actually, are you saying you still get them when ad muncher is running or only when it isn't. I've been running with it off for a while this evening and didn't see any but of course, you say you haven't seen any lately either. Also, when I had ad muncher running, there was a "munched" near the beginning of your post. So, it seems something you posted was being blocked by ad muncher.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 11:21 PM   #11
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin Presler
Whatever. Believe what you choose, but I did come straight here from a clean install, about 3 times over the last month or so in fact. My system is absolutely clean. The only remote possibility is a banner or something from this site is loading a cookie (I block 3rd party cookies), java script, or whatever. I don't get popups ANYWHERE ELSE, unless of course it's a site known for them...then I fire up Ad Muncher before I go there.

I'm not interested in using another browser. I used Firefox and Opera for a bit and didn't care for them.

I don't always get the popups here either, but when I do, they always behave the same (hijacking the entire browser window), and always happen here, and here only. If I close my browser, delete cookies and clear cache then come straight back, usually all is well....for a while. I have not had any popups for about 3 days now. If I had any kind of spyware, that would not be the case.

The popups were caused by this site or something on it. Period. So don't try to make me look like a clueless fool because "the powers that be" can't keep the advertisers here clean.
Why don't you get that chip off your shoulder and insert some logic into your thinking before you start making accusations. Tell me do you not find it odd that out of the millions of pages views this website receives every month, if it was indeed causing popups, don't you think there would be a lot more users complaining about it besides just you?
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-05, 12:52 AM   #12
Elvin Presler

There are some others who said they had the same problem. As I said, it's not constant, so it's only going to happen when the bad banner, or whatever it is, gets loaded. The only way others would notice this is by visiting with no popup stoppers running, and if the offending banner (or whatever) happens to load, so no, I don't expect the place would get flooded with complaints. It's just a rogue banner or something.

I also said I have had no popups for about 3 days, so it seems the problem, whatever it was, has gone away on it's own. If I had any spyware/adware or whatever on my system, this would not be the case. I would still be getting popups...here and everywhere else.

If I run Ad Muncher, I do not get any popups here. I usually don't run it though except when I am going "surfing" in unknown territory.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder. I only brought this up to inform whoever might want to know about it. It's not a problem for me, I can just block all ads on this site. The point is, I didn't think I had to.

The reason I seem testy about it, is the people who "find it hard to believe I did a fresh windows install, immediately browsed this site and got pop ups" (calling me a liar) and insist I have spyware when there is no way in hell I do, and I think I pretty well demonstrated that in my other thread with all the hijack this logs and task manager screens. Not to mention I already said I have reinstalled Windows, from scratch, completely offline (unplugged network cable) then plugged in and came straight here, and only here, and got the popups. I did this between my first and second posts in this very thread...to make damned sure I wasn't just making an ass of myself.