Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-06, 07:42 AM   #13
Cimi

Send a message via ICQ to Cimi Send a message via AIM to Cimi Send a message via MSN to Cimi Send a message via Yahoo to Cimi
Default Re: Thank You Nvidia for providing rock solid Linux Driver support!

the drivers are NOT rock solid. Please spectate to a dm-asbestos botmatch (ut2004) or play in true combat elite with FSAA 4xtap9. THE SYSTEM WILL FREEZE.

Last edited by Cimi; 01-04-06 at 09:34 AM.
Cimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 10:58 AM   #14
Thunderbird

For most users who posted in this thread the drivers work great. Myself I have been using the nvidia drivers since the first release (since xfree86 3.x!) and I haven't experienced much issues at all.

It isn't fair to say that the nvidia drivers suck just because it doesn't work fine for you. In general the nvidia drivers are very stable and they also perform well and also compaired to what the competition offers they are great. Ofcourse there are people who have issues but even those don't have to be nvidia's fault. There are allways driver bugs which affect a small number of people. Nobody can make a bugfree product. Second quite often the problem lies in the hardware of the user. The user might experience freezes because his powersupply is not powerfull enough, because of not enough cooling in his system case and there are dozens of other causes like this.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 11:16 AM   #15
Cimi

Send a message via ICQ to Cimi Send a message via AIM to Cimi Send a message via MSN to Cimi Send a message via Yahoo to Cimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
For most users who posted in this thread the drivers work great. Myself I have been using the nvidia drivers since the first release (since xfree86 3.x!) and I haven't experienced much issues at all.

It isn't fair to say that the nvidia drivers suck just because it doesn't work fine for you. In general the nvidia drivers are very stable and they also perform well and also compaired to what the competition offers they are great. Ofcourse there are people who have issues but even those don't have to be nvidia's fault. There are allways driver bugs which affect a small number of people. Nobody can make a bugfree product. Second quite often the problem lies in the hardware of the user. The user might experience freezes because his powersupply is not powerfull enough, because of not enough cooling in his system case and there are dozens of other causes like this.
I've used an ati card under linux for 2 years, swithced to nvidia.
No freeze under windows, only under linux, also with optimal cooling, and with any option enabled/disabled, and with different power supply.
Please have a look at the Xid crashed thread so you can suggest that you're only lucky.
Old 01-04-06, 11:46 AM   #16
Thunderbird

I don't deny that there are no issues but compared to (I guess) the ten thousands of users of the nvidia linux drivers this is a small amount.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 11:55 AM   #17
Cimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
I don't deny that there are no issues but compared to (I guess) the ten thousands of users of the nvidia linux drivers this is a small amount.
have you tried to play ut2004 on dm-asbestus? (the first that comes in my mind) or true combat elite?
Old 01-04-06, 12:15 PM   #18
MikeC
Administrator

This is not a complaint forum Cimi.
MikeC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 12:26 PM   #19
MikeC
Administrator

NVIDIA's Driver Teams are the best in the business. Nothing is perfect but they strive for perfection and for that we can be thankful.
Old 01-04-06, 12:31 PM   #20
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I love watching Linux dopes whine. It brings me great joy.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-06, 12:48 PM   #21
joffe

And my experience is that they do reply to bug reports e-mailed to them. No matter how much you whine about your problem you always get a polite answer.
For me that goes a long way.
Old 01-04-06, 01:36 PM   #22
rsrtfm
Suse user

Question Re: Thank You Nvidia for providing rock solid Linux Driver support!

well lets not burn the messenger,... maybe we should,....

do think the nvidia developers, doing their best effort, maybe understaffed, to meet the challenge,... unfortunately, it's also the distribution what lacks,
like with all wealth, or info,....example,... take suse 10.0 from novel, do an yast online update, and get an 7676 unpatched version, with an death of black screen,....
so maybe we go the send the messenger back to the Nvidia King, and keep the head, just in case we have visitors, and we can show the best of the best.
the point is , no matter how good the drivers are, since tousands of users, and major distributions, still don't work,..... need to get them more current,...

maybe all the NVIDIA users, could travel , to the Burning Man, and bring a nvidia product, a patch printout, an linux distro, with a black screen plague, and have a happy gathering, see how high we can pile that shi^&t, bring some fireworks, throw some bugs in it, roll in the mud, have a party, have a ball,
since you won't be playing any games in linux for fun,....have another drink,
prost, oh, feel free, pray to the Nvidia good, or the burning chrome,
life is good, buy an PS3, run OSX on it, and forget all your problems.
cheers, Robert Schultz, ---------------- (NVIDIA)
happy new year! Frohes Neues, Jahr! Bonne Anne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joffe
And my experience is that they do reply to bug reports e-mailed to them. No matter how much you whine about your problem you always get a polite answer.
For me that goes a long way.
Old 01-04-06, 01:39 PM   #23
Cimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC
This is not a complaint forum Cimi.
like you can say that all is perfect also I can say that for me it's not true. I'me entusiast for many features of the driver (it's the reason why I chose nvidia) but this is much different from saying them that their driver is great!
Old 01-04-06, 01:57 PM   #24
MikeC
Administrator

I didn't say all was perfect I said nothing is perfect. I must also ask that you stay on thread topic. This isn't a complaint or problem solving thread.