Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-03, 07:25 AM   #1
demonized
R420

Default Will we ever see Squaresoft release....

Will we ever see Squaresoft release its final fantasy games on other patforms? Do you guys think Microsoft could do something like maybe offer them millions of dollars they can't resist.
2GB OCZ PC3200 EL platinum.
ATI X800XL
SB Audigy gamer
NEC 2500a 8x8x32
Liteon 52x24x52
demonized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-03, 08:18 AM   #2
St Lobus

Send a message via ICQ to St Lobus

As far as releasing a Squaresoft game on the Xbox, which would be awesome, I don't think it'll happen. I know the Japanese as a whole aren't too thrilled with Microsoft's big heavy box. But I do know they are realeasing Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (I think that's the title) on Gamecube. They're talking about using a GBA as a controller for it so you have all your stats on the Game Boy screen. It sounds like a neat idea, but we'll see if it ever comes out in the states. After (and if) Square and Enix finish their merger, maybe we'll see some games come out for the XBox, but not any time soon.
Old 01-19-03, 06:20 AM   #3
StealthHawk

i find it somewhat interesting that Square isn't releasing FFXI on Xbox. i thought that originally they mentioned they would, but i guess things haven't turned out that way after all.

you'd think with the popularity of Xbox Live an Xbox port of the PC version would be an easy and smart thing to do.
Old 01-20-03, 02:06 AM   #4
St Lobus

Send a message via ICQ to St Lobus

I do know that Japan hasn't taken a real strong liking for the Xbox, which is probably the main reason behind a lack for FF XI on it. Which is a shame, but that's Square's marketing, nothing I can do about it.

Personally, I don't think it'll be that big a loss not getting FF XI ported over. The graphics I've seen for it just don't seem that great, and I can't imagine Final Fantasy would translate well into an MMORPG. Final Fantasy's strongest points have always been story. You can't get awesome stories into an MMORPG the way you can fit them into a normal RPG. But, I haven't played it yet, so I could be horribly mistaken.

My couple of pennies worth.
Old 01-20-03, 02:43 AM   #5
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

Shortly after the XBOX came out, there was talk of both Grand Theft Auto and Final Fantasy software for the console. Not to long after, Sony bought into both Rockstar and Square and pretty much squashed both posibilities.
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-03, 04:32 AM   #6
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

I could certainly be wrong about this, but I think Sony owned a controlling share of Square before the Xbox came out. I think that happened around the time the original PSX came out because Sony wanted Square on their side in the war between the N64 and the PSX. Hence, why you haven't seen a Square title on any Nintendo system up until now (if their title actually gets released for the GC).

Again, I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-03, 07:03 AM   #7
StealthHawk

and all those damn rumors kept popping up about a Final Fantasy7 port showing up on N64. i was always hoping for that to happen. i should have just stuck my Nintendo fanboyism in a hole and purchased a PSX. oh well, live and learn.