Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-28-05, 11:41 PM   #1
Thetargos

Send a message via ICQ to Thetargos Send a message via AIM to Thetargos
Default Widescreen resolution support.

Hi all... I've got a question I hope you can answer.

How good is support for widescreen resolutions with the latest nVidia Linux driver? I as because I'm considering getting a 24.1" Eizo monitor and was wondering about any issues with resolutions and the Linux nVidia driver. I am aware that for full screen 3D applications support for the resolutions is application dependant rather than driver/system dependant.
Thetargos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 03:26 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Widescreen resolution support.

In order to use a widescreen resolution you need a modeline for the resolution in question and then it works fine. More people have done this before for instance look for threads regarding Apple's Cinema Display and those Dell widescreen flatpanels.

Note that you need to watch out that your videocard is powerfull enough. The problem is that a flatpanel (especially at high resolutions) should be connected using DVI but most boards contain a single link DVI interface which is limited to pixelclocks of upto 150-165MHz. This corresponds to resolutions of 1280x1024/1600x1200 and depending on the modeline some higher resolutions. I don't know what the maximum resolution of the flatpanel is but look into this problem. (All 7800 cards ship with a dual link DVI interface which doesn't have this issue; the same for various Quadro boards)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 04:11 AM   #3
Thetargos

Send a message via ICQ to Thetargos Send a message via AIM to Thetargos
Default Re: Widescreen resolution support.

Thanks, Thunderbird. The card I currently own is an AOpen Aelous GeForce FX 5900 with VGA-TVO-DVI connectors, I ignore if it is a dual link DVI or not (but from what you say, it most probably isn't). I am considering getting this monitor as I do some graphics design and I share my system with my girlfriend who does much more seriou graphics design, and she's been all over this monitor, hehe.

Now that you mention the modlines and stuff. I have been having trouble with one resolution (and this is application dependant for some reason), 1024x768. Some fullscreen applications will (for some reason I fail to see) introduce scanline-like lines accross the screen. When I see my CRT's OSD for information about sync, it appears as if the 1024x768 resolution is overclocked as it sets a vsync of 87 instead of the maximum supported by the monitor of 85. The oddest thing is that this only happens with certain applications, but not all (most notabl example being Neverwinter Nights). I tried to correct this issue with a modline, but I've been unable to tell exactly what a modline's syntax should be or if given that this (most notably) happens with this application, maybe something could be wrong with th application itself rather than my system's configuration.

Edit:
I've run a test case of NWN at 1024x768, and the OSD of my monitor says 35.5 kHz/87.0 Hz. When running another application (in this case UT2K4) at the same resolution, I see 68.6 kHz/85.0 Hz... I'll have to look further into this issue.

Last edited by Thetargos; 12-29-05 at 04:23 AM.
Thetargos is offline   Reply With Quote