Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-04-05, 03:30 PM   #1
piranha2001

Question Nforce 430 -> RAID5

Hello,

is there anyone here, who can tell me if it's possible to realise a RAID5-Linux-Installation with the Nforce430-chipset?
I asked in an earlier post if it's possible with the Asus-board (which doesn't seem to be that good as mobo) but now I just if it's possible with the chipset in any way???
(I don't want to end up like some other early-adopters here in the forum)

Thanks a lot in advance,
Sebastian
piranha2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 07:45 AM   #2
piranha2001

Default Re: Nforce 430 -> RAID5

Nobody here to help me?
I really would like to buy a nv430 / Geforce6150-Board and install a RAID-sytem but I don't want to buy for HDs if it won't work!
piranha2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 01:24 PM   #3
Devils-Hawk
Gentoo User

nv430 chipset is supported in Linux kernels from 2.6.14 up, (maybe 2.6.13) and works more or less. But as far as I know the nv430 raid5 implementation is "software" raid only, please NVIDIA guys correct me if i am wrong , and is not supported by the Linux DeviceMapper tools => short: NVIDIA raid5 NOT supported, raid0,1 supported! But you can use the Linux Software RAID implementation. just google after a tool called mdadm, it is really pretty easy to set up and Linux Software RAID is more often than not faster than other software raid implementations. Linux Software RAID supports modes 1,0,10,5,6
Devils-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-05, 04:15 AM   #4
fhj52

Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha2001
Nobody here to help me?
I really would like to buy a nv430 / Geforce6150-Board and install a RAID-sytem but I don't want to buy for HDs if it won't work!
Modern Linux distros will setup RAID during the install. I have seen 0(not really RAID), 1(2 disk mirroring) and 5(3 disk minimum striping with parity). Through some effort with md or using EVMS, RAID 10 is possible. I do not see a good use for RAID 6...

I have recently installed CentOS 4.2(=RHEL4) and its install setup Linux SW RAID 5 with a 3 disk + 1 spare array for me. It was a no brainer to get it done.

So, you can run with Linux SW RAID. This particular mobo has the nforce pro 2200 and 2050 combo. I have done it in the past on other mobos with other distros, too.

The only real distinct difference, as I understand it, is that with the nVidia controller running the show, the parity calculations are handled by it and therefore not offloaded to the CPU(s). The nVidia RAID is still, mostly, software RAID.
I do not have any benchmark information at all that compare throughput of a Linux SW RAID with the nVidia HW+SW RAID. In the past, I have seen throughput benchmarks for Linux SW RAID that surpassed some complete HW RAID implementations. Most benchmarks were pretty close until things got really heavy/loaded at which point the HW implementations always had better marks.
What you need to know is that in those circumstances of heavy load, you need a complete hardware solution. Onboard NV RAID won't do it, IMO.

If your question is really: " will the parity calculations be done by the nVidia controller ", I don't have an answer for you. I wish I did. It is one of the questions I have too.

HTH
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 11:28 AM   #5
Chrome

When I used the Cent4.2 OS Server CD, the hard drives (in SATA 1 and SATA 2) were not recognized by the OS during the setup.

I am running an Asus AVN-CSM w/ (2) WD Raptor HD's. My goal is to run them in RAID1

What did you do to get this to work?

Thank you
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote