Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-17-03, 06:48 PM   #13
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
Believe what you will....
a few tiny snips
'The DirectSound application programming interface (API) has not been significantly revised for DirectX 9.0. However, many performance enhancements have been implemented.'
'Less reliable connections should now perform better with improved DirectPlay protocol behavior.'

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...o/dx9intro.asp
we've heard MS sing this tune before. MS has claimed many times in the past that performance optimizations have been made in new versions of DX. they even used to say upgrading DX alone(no programming side changes) would result in higher performance. never happened.

additionally i've seen statements at MS saying DirectPlay was improved before, and never have i ever seen my packet loss decrease, or my ping decrease etc.

i think i'll leave it at that.
Old 01-17-03, 07:22 PM   #14
Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
we've heard MS sing this tune before. MS has claimed many times in the past that performance optimizations have been made in new versions of DX. they even used to say upgrading DX alone(no programming side changes) would result in higher performance. never happened.

additionally i've seen statements at MS saying DirectPlay was improved before, and never have i ever seen my packet loss decrease, or my ping decrease etc.

i think i'll leave it at that.
Although every public release from MS claims bug fixes and performance increases, I do believe the DirectX9 does contain some of these things becuase they are discuss in the developer newsgroups. They are very minor improvements though. They may only effect specific networks and specific hardware. For example, Direct Play may now work better with firewalls and software vertex processing might work a little faster on Pentium 4s. That kind of thing. Kind of like the way our Detonator drivers get better with every release
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-03, 07:32 PM   #15
SavagePaladin
info*****

well i'll leave it at it seems better to me too

and i'm still in a bad mood, so last post in here
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote