Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-03-06, 05:12 PM   #1
barakor1

Default Black screen for NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 under Ubuntu Breezy (7174)

I have an NVIDIA RIVA TNT2, and recently installed Ubuntu on my computer. Initially, the "nv" driver only recognized the 640x480 resolution. I played with the configuration and got to 1024x768, which is the resolution of my 15" FPD. The problem was the image was shifted vertically. The top of the screen was just above the middle of the display, and the bottom of the screen was just above it. I tried many things including various packages like linux-restricted-modules, nvidia-legacy, etc.

Nothing helped.

I later tried the "nvidia" drivers (7174) but this didn't work as well. Initially I got a conflict with an 'nvidia.ko' in the .../volatile folder, but now afer reinstalling, I don't get in anymore. Instead, it looks like everything works, but I get a black screen.

I can connect to the computer using SSH, so the computer is working. If I try "startx", it says "server already active for display 0". Again, I only see a black screen.

I've generated the nvidia-bug-report.log, so I'm attaching it.

Please advise, thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (80.3 KB, 169 views)
barakor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-06, 05:17 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Black screen for NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 under Ubuntu Breezy (7174)

According to your bug report, X is running at 1024x768. If you're not seeing anything on your display device, then perhaps the failure is elsewhere. Does X work with the 'nv' X driver?

Which motherboard & BIOS version are you using?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 02:21 AM   #3
fhj52

The problem here does not appear to be either the TNT2 or the driver. It appears to be a configuration problem with the monitor.

You can use CTRL+ALT+BKSP to stop the X server.
That will drop you to a terminal where you can work on the system. No need to use SSH.

You can also use ALT+F1 or any* function key other than F7 to get a terminal. According to the log, X is running on VT 7(virtual terminal 7) so ALT+F7 will take you back to the X Windows screen.

It *sounds* like you should verify
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

Also, verify the

HorizSync 28-51
VertRefresh 43-60

are correct.
And add the correct display size for your monitor to the "Monitor" section.

If you are using the RGB input on the monitor, you have to use the monitor's RGB parameters in the Xorg.conf file, not it's digital (LCD) parameters. Those look like digital rates... but maybe that is what you need. ...

{
X cannot get the correct parameters from the monitor as is indicated by:

(WW) NVIDIA(0): Failure parsing EDID parameters for display device CRT-0 )

so you will need to help X a little.
}

A "Monitor" section should look like this, but use YOUR monitor's parameters:
  • Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "MonitorLocation" ## same name as in "Server Layout"
    VendorName "VendorName" ## OPTIONAL info
    ModelName "123435xyz" ## OPTIONAL info
    DisplaySize 337 270 ## this is in mm
    HorizSync 31-82
    VertRefresh 50-90
    Option "DPMS" ## power saving OPTION
    EndSection

FAIR WARNING:
Be very careful in editing the Xorg.conf file. If you "play" the wrong way, you can permanently damage your monitor. Make sure you use the exact parameters that the manufacturer specifies for your monitor.

HTH

"any" is not quite true for Ubuntu or many others. Only VT1 -VT7 get setup these days so only ALT+F1 thru ALT+F7 will do anything.

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 04:27 AM   #4
barakor1

Thanks for the prompt replies. I'm replying late to Lonni not because I'm not eager to solve this problem, but because I'm in GMT+2 - I was sleeping ;-)

First - replying to Lonni. Here are the details:
  • Motherboard name: Intel Warm Springs WS440BX (1 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
  • Motherboard chipset: Intel 82440BX
  • BIOS Type: Phoenix (11/04/99)
  • BIOS vendor: Intel Corp.
  • BIOS Version: 4W4SB0X0.15A.0019.P14

The monitor only has a DVI connector, and is connected to the NVidia card that only has an FPD connector. I have a digital DFP to DVI cable. I don't use (and don't have) a VGA connector.

If i'm using Load "GLcore" and Load "dri" (I commented them out for using the "nvidia" driver), I'm able to use either "nv" and "vesa". As I said before, when using the "nv" driver, the display is misaligned vertically. I'm attaching a few images to show this.

Anyway, this means that everything is hooked properly.

Here's some information about the video card:
  • Device description: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Pro AGP (Gateway)
  • Adapter string: NV5
  • BIOS string: Version 2.05.1304
  • Chip type: NV5
  • DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
  • Memory size: 16MB

As for the comments by HTH. For some reason, I can't always switch to alternate consoles, so I'm using SSH. In some cases I use the alternate terminals. The BusID, HorizSync and VertRefresh are right, at least to some degree, because they work for the "nv" (partially) and "vesa" drivers.

Again, my problem may occur because I'm using a digital output and need more configuration there.

One last piece of information - I'm not a Linux expert so I might be off here, but maybe the driver started successfuly, and X is up, but GDM didn't. When I try /etc/init.d/gdm start it fails ([fail]). Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nv-login.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	15407  Click image for larger version

Name:	nv-desktop.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	15408  Click image for larger version

Name:	vesa-login.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	15409  
Old 01-04-06, 02:21 PM   #5
barakor1

Update - I've changed the H/V rates based on some config files I found on the internet (Gateway doesn't keep any FPD1500 manual on their site). I see the following lines in the Xorg.0.log:

(WW) NVIDIA(0): Failure parsing EDID parameters for display device CRT-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): Generic Monitor: Using hsync range of 30.00-61.00 kHz
(II) NVIDIA(0): Generic Monitor: Using vrefresh range of 56.00-75.00 Hz

These values don't help - I still get a black screen. Please help...
Old 01-04-06, 03:53 PM   #6
CozmicFoetus

I think I know what causes your problem, since i stumbled over it trying to solve my own. Checking NVIDIA's website I found a link to "Supported products": http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html
At the bottom of that page you can find a list with unsupported cards, amongst which are yours and mine (GF2 GTS)..
I'm a complete newbie to Linux - as a matter of fact I installed Breezy Badger tonight for the first time. I found out so far that an earlier driver version which in principle should work is: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-6629.html
There's no list of unsupported cards for this driver version, for as far as I know.
However, it posed another problem for me and might also do so for you:
In order to install this driver, the installation tool needs some files from "Binutils" which it can's find. My current understanding is that this app is not included in Breezy Badger, due to a security leak in an earlier Ubuntu release. Is this so and how can this be installed anyway? My search hasn't turned up anything yet..

Hope we can solve this..

Dennis
CozmicFoetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 04:16 PM   #7
barakor1

The version I'm using (7174) is the latest that supports my card. I'm not using the newest version, which is probably what you're looking at. As for binutils, Use apt-get install binutils (if you line command line) or the Synaptic package manager (GUI) to obtain it. I'm still waiting for something from Lonni or other experts...
Old 01-04-06, 05:33 PM   #8
CozmicFoetus

I was referring to your version 7174 (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...1.0-7174.html).. It has a column on the left with the link to supported hardware. Yours doesn't seem to be one of them.

As for Binutils; i tried your string in console, and it gave this reply:
"E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission deinied)"
"E: Could not lock the list directory"
I can't find the Binutils in the applications menu, although under "Add applications" i did see Synaptic package manager is installed.. Can't find any direct link to that however. Thanks for your advice so far
CozmicFoetus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-06, 06:15 PM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

barakor1,
Please provide the output from running 'lspci'.

If you remove vga16fb and all framebuffers at bootup, does that have any impact on this problem?

Please start X with the following command:
startx -- logverbose 5

and then generate and provide another bug report for review.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 08:04 PM   #10
fhj52

Quote:
Originally Posted by barakor1
Update - I've changed the H/V rates based on some config files I found on the internet (Gateway doesn't keep any FPD1500 manual on their site). I see the following lines in the Xorg.0.log:

(WW) NVIDIA(0): Failure parsing EDID parameters for display device CRT-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): Generic Monitor: Using hsync range of 30.00-61.00 kHz
(II) NVIDIA(0): Generic Monitor: Using vrefresh range of 56.00-75.00 Hz

These values don't help - I still get a black screen. Please help...
That looks better. Too bad that did not have the right magic but it is only one part of the spell.
Did you find an accurate display size, in millimeters(mm)?
Even using a measurement is better than nothing at all. Measure the screen for horizontal & vertical size, not including the frame of course. Include those values, in mm, in the config file.
FYI:
Resolution is an X Windows calculated value and it needs to know what size the screen is to get the correct possible resolutions. It can usually get that from the monitor(EDID info) but some monitors lie and others don't have it.

I would not load anything that is not required until the system is stable. Not being able to switch between the VT *sometimes* is very odd and should not occur. Something is amiss, somewhere.

The Gnome Display Manager(gdm) won't start if it is already running.
You have to be root to stop or start it. Being root user in Unbuntu is not easy ... but it can be done. You might be able to get around that with su root which will provide you with the same authority and responsiblities.
The gdm is listed as gdm-binary or something like that when it is running. You can top to find it, get its process number and kill it.(as root)

If you were root and tried to start gdm properly and it failed, there might be a lock file that is not being cleaned and is still hanging around. The lock file should be removed if/when gdm is not running. It signifies that gdm is running so if gdm is not running and the lock file exists, gdm cannot start.(ubuntu might or might not use the lock file...)

Use the Linux 3-fingered-salute(ctrl+alt+bksp) to stop X before trying to start X some other way(i.e., startx, starttwm, startgnome, etc...). Otherwise you will receive 'X is already running on display :#' error.

All X Windows systems come with the twm (Tiny Window Manager) desktop and also with a simple but functional login manager. IOW, using gdm is not mandatory so you can bypass it if you think it is the problem. ...

And, BTW, thanks for the info about the DVI on the TNT2. Mine is older card and I did not think there had been any TNT2 manufactured with DVI connectors. ...

Hope That Helps

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-06, 04:28 PM   #11
barakor1

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the delay in providing more information. My wife decided to rearrange the furnitures around the room, and my computer was offline for about a week...

Anyway, I'm attaching the lspci output and a recent bug report with "logverbose 5". I don't know how to "remove vga16fb and all framebuffers at bootup", so I'd appreciate any suggestions/links regarding this. I tried Googling for these keywords, but didn't get anything meaningful (at least to me).

I did set runlevel 3 for no X, so I can manually start x and check for things. Again, it looks like the driver "thinks" it's working, but I don't see a thing. I also tried fhj52's suggestion (Now I understand what HTH means...) and specified the display's size in mms. Didn't do the job. Two directions I would like help with: (1) Could it be that the driver simply doesn't work with the DVI output? If that's the case, I'm in trouble, I don't have a VGA output on my display card, nor do I have a VGA input on my monitor. (2) Is it possible that an earlier version of the NVidia drivers might do the job? I looked for the latests that supports my card, but I don't mind trying an older one. I really just want a decent driver, nothing too fancy.
Attached Files
File Type: log lspci.log (989 Bytes, 138 views)
File Type: log Xorg.0.2006-01-14.log (26.3 KB, 127 views)
Old 01-23-06, 05:31 PM   #12
barakor1

I didn't get any replies to my previous post (I suspect it's because I sent it over the previous weekend, and it got too low by the time it was Monday), so here's some more information. It turns out the log (as generated by nvidia-bug-report.sh) doesn't include a very important line that I see on the screen when I'm trying to startx. On the screen I see:

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Again, this is when I manually try to startx after booting in text mode.

I looked in this forum, and found this post: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59911

I followed what it said there, and indeed, I now have the following in /usr/lib (after ls *vidia*tls*):
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root    25 2006-01-04 00:22 libnvidia-tls.so.1 -> libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.7174
-rwxr-xr-x  1 barak barak 2004 2005-03-22 17:36 libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.7174
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  root  2320 2006-01-04 00:22 libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.7174.old
Now I'm back to square one, because now, even when I run startx manually, the screen turns black. I see the HD light flashing, so the computer is definitely doing something, but I get no X.