Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-06-06, 09:23 AM   #13
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: horrible 2D performance

@PrakashP: current NVIDIA Linux drivers use the processor's PAT to mark frame buffer and/or AGP aperture mappings write-combined, a MTRR is not installed for the relevant I/O apertures.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 09:48 AM   #14
Enverex

hmm, Turning Render Accell on got me down to 3.66 in Monochrome AA mode, but the same 10.X score with Subpixel Hinting turned on. My machine also hardlocked after a while of using Cedega with RenderAccel turned on (it's never locked before). So it seems I'd only gain when using not AA'd fonts anyway.
Enverex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 11:19 AM   #15
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
@PrakashP: current NVIDIA Linux drivers use the processor's PAT to mark frame buffer and/or AGP aperture mappings write-combined, a MTRR is not installed for the relevant I/O apertures.
Interesting, I thought you needed kernel support for that? I read in the mailing list archive that Terrence Ripperda once posted a patch for PAT in the kernel, but it wasn't merged because of Intel erratas or alike.
PrakashP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 11:27 AM   #16
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@PrakashP: ideally the kernel would configure and support a WC entry in the PAT, but in addition to basic support that's trivial to implement on Linux (even taking into account the errata you refer to), there's been interest in establishing a mechanism to prevent the creation of mappings with conflicting memory types. This is relatively simple for the NVIDIA driver to ensure internally, but non-trivial to implement globally.
Old 01-06-06, 11:43 AM   #17
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

@zander

Good to know, maybe you want to put that info into the README that the user doesn't need to mess around with mtrr anymore then. At least I couldn't find anything about this issue there...
PrakashP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 11:51 AM   #18
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@PrakashP: on most systems, it was very rarely necessary to manually adjust the MTRR configuration established by the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver even before the transition to using the PAT. The official NVIDIA README never suggested this in the first place. ;)
Old 01-06-06, 12:25 PM   #19
ppd

I think I'll stay with the nv driver.
The latest nvidia driver feels extremely unsnappy, at least after a suspend to disk. The 7667 is smooth and fast, but it won't work with suspend2.
The nv driver is slow, the gnome rubberband lags, but it works a million times better with suspend to disk than the nvidia driver and 2d performance is acceptable compared to the latest nvidia driver.

max
ppd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 04:32 PM   #20
ViRgiLiO

zander, I know you heard this question several times, but will we have a subpixel AA in the next release?
ViRgiLiO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-06, 06:13 PM   #21
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRgiLiO
zander, I know you heard this question several times, but will we have a subpixel AA in the next release?
ViRgiLiO,
I'm aware of the issues involved and hope to get acceleration for it into the next release, but I'll have to do some more testing and unfortunately can't make any promises.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 08:14 PM   #22
ViRgiLiO

Ok, thanks AaronP for your quick answer. I'm glad to hear that someone is working on that problem. I really hope that you find the solution.
ViRgiLiO is offline   Reply With Quote