Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-06, 05:14 PM   #1
dartmusic

Default Any help for a total n00b?

I seem to find conflicting info and guides for installing the 8178 drivers and am having no luck. Not only that, but whichever drivers (which weren't actually being used until yesterday) were installed when I loaded Suse don't actually give me an option of the correct or appropriate size/resolution (why are they listed as two different things in the display settings?) and look much worse than (what I suppose was) the nv driver.

I'll try to give as much info as possible.

I'm running Suse 10 OSS (KDE) on a stock HP zd7015us notebook. (3GHz HT, 512MB, nvidia Go5600) I downloaded and followed the instructions to load the 8178 drivers from the nvidia site, but they list two different methods of installing: on the nvidia site they mention that if you're running Suse 10 you MUST install from the terminal and give specific (actually, NOT terribly specific) instructions on how to do that. I tried it, exactly as they described with no luck. On the nvidia site it's also noted that you can do this update via YaST. I'm afraid that I can't seem to figure out HOW to make that happen.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. And as clear as the responses would be would be very helpful. I'm familiar with DOS (though I don't relaly remember most of the commands now) but I'm really not familiar with Linux terminal commands or syntax.

Anyway, thanks again, in advance.

PS: I'm trying to use the 17" widescreen on the HP AS WELL AS the TV Out. I'm attempting to set up MythTV so that I can completely dump Windows.
dartmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 02:58 PM   #2
linix

Default Re: Any help for a total n00b?

Hiya,

I am new too (christmas) and i have a different comp to you but i figured the poor instructions out somehow so i will fill the gaps to do the yast install of the nvidia driver however on my comp it only gives me the 76.76 version i have the n6200 card

first click on the green icon in the lower left corner
the go to system in the pop up menu
then go to controlcenter (yast)
sign in root it will ask you to
the choose online update
it will do stuff
when its done just click next in lower right corner
it should retrive update
then in the center of the screen click , installable patches and a list pops down
change this to
installable and installed patches
scroll down the list that fills the center box to find the entry with nvidia(r) and tick
just in case it is not properly installed from your past attempts right click the nvidia entry and mark it update
then click accept in lower right corner
when it finnished close and your done
if you have found out how to get the newest 81.78 with yast please tell me stepby step like i have done

hope this haelps

Nick
linix is offline   Reply With Quote