Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-14-03, 11:40 PM   #1
Mr Pink

Default 3123 to 4191 Upgrade Problem

Hello everybody,
I was using the 3123 release of the NVIDIA driver and everything was working great.

Recently I tried to upgrade to 4191 using the tar.gz format and X server won't start anymore!!!

I reinstalled both the NVidia_kernel and NVidia_GLX package and I replaced my call to 'modprobe NVdriver' with a 'modprobe nvidia'.

The driver loads but when X starts it displays the NVidia SplashScreen then the X Background and crash immediately after (before showing the login prompt).

I've tried setting the AGP speed to 4x down to 1x when loading the driver but with no good result!

After inspecting the XFree86 log file it seems that it does not load the glx extension and it has problem with my Speedo fonts initialisation.??? (Those problem aren't happening with the old drivers.)

I wanted to update the drivers 3123 cause I suspected these to cause X to crash when I open any text file in any graphical text editor or that I run wine. Anyone has similar problems with the 3123???

Thanks to everyone,

Mr Pink

P4 1.6
GForce4 64m TV-out
SB Audigy
ATI TV-Wonder
on LinuxFromScratch
Mr Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-03, 04:07 AM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Problems with 3123 are most likely (barring something I dont know about, which is always possible) NOT the driver.

I would expect that your system has conflicts other than the driver itself, as I never had any issues with 3123 and the behavior you're describing. I regularly ran winex GL games under 3123. I'm under RH 8.0 tho, also used 3123 with 7.3.

Is your XFree86 version recent?

Have you allowed the XConfig program (either XConfigurator, or xf86config rebuild your config file?

I'm far short of linux guru myself, so I probably dont have the answer to your question...
LordMorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-03, 07:11 AM   #3
bwkaz

Default Re: 3123 to 4191 Upgrade Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Pink
After inspecting the XFree86 log file it seems that it does not load the glx extension and it has problem with my Speedo fonts initialisation.???
What are the messages in the log file regarding this? Something about __divdi3? I see you're using Linux from Scratch; I'm having that problem with 4191 on LFS 3.3, when I used gcc 3.2 to compile everything (which I believe is the default in LFS 4 now). nVidia knows about it, but I haven't heard anything back in a while.

The problem also happened with 2960, and I was told it would be fixed with 3123. It was, obviously, but then 4191 broke again... anyway, if that's the message you're getting (something about __divdi3), then you won't be able to use 4191.

The speedo fonts thing ... I'm not sure. In the "Module" section, do you have a Load "Speedo" line?

Does "any graphical text editor" include gvim? I would think it does... that works fine here, but it's really the only editor I use, so I don't know about others. WineX (CVS) works fine as well, but Wine is so freaking complicated that it's not always a good test of anything -- unless it works. Do tuxracer or similar programs work?

What does /proc/interrupts say?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-03, 09:47 PM   #4
Mr Pink

Default a couple of answers

Thank you very much to all of you for helping me,

First I'm really really sorry, I probably misleaded you. The glx extensions and the Speedo font problems were caused by something else.....I forgot to do a modprobe NVdriver (I know it's fuc$^% stupid!)

I'm using LFS 4.0 but I used gcc 2.95.3 to compile everything including the drivers.(I had too much trouble with gcc 3.2 for many things such as compiling uClibc apps)

I've posted another topic to explain my x crash problem in greater details cause I've done more tests and I've attached the XFree86.0.log and the .xsession-errors hopping it can help.

Thank you again for taking the time to help me!

Mr Pink
Mr Pink is offline   Reply With Quote