Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-13-05, 07:54 AM   #1
cyberjun

Default [UNSOLVED] DPMS+Go5200 monitor suspend,standby,off not working properly

Hi,
I have searched google, this forum and many others but somehow am unable to find a solution. If anybody from Nvidia can confirm that this is a driver problem and will get solved in a future release, even then I will end my quest.
Well the problem is:
I am running Gentoo linux with kernel 2.6.13.2 on a Satellite M30 laptop. It has this nvidia go 5200 graphics card. I have installed nvidia's latest driver(7676 version). Almost everything is working smoothly. However this one issue is irritating me quite a lot. I have enabled DPMS in my xorg.conf file, the log file confirms that it gets enabled. Now when I use xscreensaver or xset commands to put my monitor in suspend, standby and off modes, I face problems while resuming it. First of all, all these three states produce the same result. They switch the monitor off. That part is ok. However now when I want to work and I move the cursor of press any keys, the display doesn't come back. Only a console switch gets me the display back. Once it is back everything is normal again.
One interesting aspect is that the monitor automatically switches off if I close the lid and comes back on when I open it even though I haven't specifically defined anything in my acpid.conf file.

Pleaseeeee offer some suggestions. I am pretty sure this is a driver issue since an earlier version (6629 probably) would not turn my monitor off (irrrespective of the arguments to xset). This latest version although turns the monitor off but doesn't get the display back.

Anybody else facing the issue? I am quite hopeful that someone will surely reply (can nvidia confirm if this is indeed a driver issue).

Thanks a lot.

--cyberjun

Last edited by cyberjun; 10-16-05 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Changing title to [UNSOLVED]
cyberjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-05, 02:08 PM   #2
goblindojo

Default Re: DPMS+Go5200 monitor suspend,standby,off not working properly

I'm having the exact same problem on a Toshiba Satellite with a Go420 chip. At least the backlight might live a bit longer now that it actually does turn off...
goblindojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-05, 05:29 PM   #3
joaorf

Send a message via ICQ to joaorf
Unhappy Re: DPMS+Go5200 monitor suspend,standby,off not working properly

I am facing that problem with a Geforce4 420 Go. When Xorg (6.8.2) goes into stand-by, suspend or off, it does not turn on, no matter how much I move the mouse or touch the keyboard. I need to press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart X.

I even logged in through SSH from another machine and ran:
xset -display ":0" dpms force standby
The result is the same.
joaorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 12:53 AM   #4
cyberjun

Hi,
This confirms its a driver problem irrespective of hardware. Can anybody from Nvidia please comment on this ?

Thanks,
--cyberjun
Old 10-22-05, 10:30 AM   #5
joaorf

Send a message via ICQ to joaorf
Question Re: DPMS+Go5200 monitor suspend,standby,off not working properly

I found a way to "ressurect" the screen after it goes into stand-by:
  1. (force a stand-by running xset -display ":0" dpms force standby in a shell)
  2. After the monitor switches off, press Ctrl+Alt+F1
  3. Press Alt-F7
And the monitor turns on.
I just don't see why it doesn't come up when the user presses any other key or the mouse/touchpad...

I am running SuSE 10.0 (kernel 2.6.13 and Xorg 6.8.2).
joaorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-05, 09:31 AM   #6
xwang

I have the same problem with my Toshiba m30 (go5200 32mb), Suse 9.3 and nVidia driver 7676.
Pressing ctrl+Alt+F1 sometimes doesn't solve.
Xwang
xwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-05, 12:42 AM   #7
cyberjun

Unhappy Re: DPMS+Go5200 monitor suspend,standby,off not working properly

Hi Xwang,
Well pressing just CTRL+ALT+F1 doesn't solve the thing by itself. Unfortunately you have to press CTRL+ALT+F7 after that. This takes you to the X session again and your video card/driver is reinitialized and hence you get the display back. Even for me just CTRL+ALT+F1 does nothing ( I mean the display doesn't come back on).

Hopefully NVIDIA guys will fix this in their much hyped and much awaited 1.8xxx release (don't know when that will happen though). Till then....

Cheers,
cyberjun
Old 11-18-05, 05:50 AM   #8
bigsur2k4

same here:
"xset -display ":0" dpms force standby" turns of the graphics and backlight. Using the FN-Keys (fnfx) F6+F7 turns the backlight on again, but not the graphic. It appears by switching to another console...

Tried on a Toshiba Satellite Pro M30 with GeForce FX 5200 GO.

bigsur
bigsur2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-05, 06:25 AM   #9
rbirdman

It works ok for me. I have a Go5200 in a Dell Inspiron 8600. I have had the screen blanking since getting it. I use Fedora and a modified version of a script I found on the web.

I cut and pasted bigsur2k4's command thinking it might be somewhat different to the scripts I use but it too works fine.
rbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-05, 07:16 AM   #10
bigsur2k4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbirdman
I use Fedora and a modified version of a script I found on the web.
What does this script do? In the best case we would need no script to get the dpms working

Thanks
bigsur
bigsur2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-05, 10:43 PM   #11
rbirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur2k4
What does this script do? In the best case we would need no script to get the dpms working

Thanks
bigsur
It looks in /tmp for X lock files and turns them all off. Ultimately it gets down to running the equivalent of
Code:
xset dpms force off
I can post the script if you like put if xset is not working for you I can't see it helping. I use it to call from the lid close open event.
xset dpms force off works just fine from a terminal as well. A swipe on the touch pad and display comes back fine.
rbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-05, 11:04 PM   #12
cyberjun

Hi rbirdman,
Are you using agpgart? I have agpgart compiled as a loadable module and it gets loaded irrespective of the value I pass to NvAGP in xorg.conf. Can you please let us know what are your settings. Please give the output of the following commands:

1. lsmod
2. cat /proc/driver/nvidia/registry
3. cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
4 cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0

What about others who are facing this problem ? are all of you also using AGP ?
Am just trying to find out the difference between rbirdman's setup and mine.

cheers,
--cyberjun