Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-11-06, 01:46 PM   #1
dzr

Send a message via AIM to dzr Send a message via MSN to dzr Send a message via Yahoo to dzr
Default NVIDIA driver and DPMS: backlight never switches off

Despite having configured DPMS according to all the docs I could find, whilst my laptop screen will blank after a while the backlight never switches off. Any suggestions?

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 8200

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go

Kernel and driver details:
$ uname -r
2.6.13-1.1532_FC4

$ rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia | sort
kernel-module-nvidia-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4-1.0.7676-0.lvn.2.4
nvidia-glx-1.0.7676-0.lvn.3.4
Xorg log says DPMS is loaded and enabled:
$ sudo grep -i dpms /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(**) Option "dpms" "true"
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
And xset seems to confirm that DPMS is enabled and the times for standby, suspend, and off set in xscreensaver are picked up:
$ xset -q
[snip]
DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 1800 Suspend: 2700 Off: 3600
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On
[snip]
Also,
$ sudo xset dpms force [standby|suspend|off]
doesn't work either.

This used to work a couple of Fedora Cores and NVIDIA drivers ago. However, I cannot remember when it stopped working (although it was a while ago). I've been searching on the NVIDIA forums and through the NVIDIA readme, and I can't seem to find anything. It'd be nice to get this working again --- I often leave my laptop on overnight and I'm beginning to get afraid that the screen will burn out at this rate.

Best, Darren
dzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 04:29 PM   #2
dzr

Send a message via AIM to dzr Send a message via MSN to dzr Send a message via Yahoo to dzr
Default Re: NVIDIA driver and DPMS: backlight never switches off

Okay, after more research I think I've narrowed down the problem.

First, I just installed the 8178 driver and there is still no improvement.

The one thing that I didn't mention before is that I have in /etc/modprobe.conf the following:

options nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0

as that is necessary to prevent a garbled screen. I know that the NVIDIA driver readme says that NVreg_Mobile=1 is the correct setting for Dell notebooks but that setting does not prevent the problem. I just searched the NVIDIA forum to check the details of that particular fix. It's in this thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40490

and in this Livna bugzilla report:

http://bugzilla.livna.org/show_bug.cgi?id=320

Interestingly in this message in this related NVIDIA forums thread,

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...72&postcount=4

the NVreg_Mobile=0 fix is also reported to break DPMS.

So, it seems my problem is this: in order for the NVIDIA driver to work in with my laptop I need to use the NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 option, but that breaks DPMS. Is there a workaround? Perhpas NVIDIA aren't even aware of the problem --- should I post a bug report?

Best, Darren
Old 01-12-06, 01:56 AM   #3
debian_penguin
Linux Addicted

Hi dzr!

Interesting solution the one you suggest here. I'll give a try ASAP. However, if you want a workaround, you can do as I did: have you ever heard about vbetools? They are tools which talk directly to the dft bios, so that they can control it regardless of the driver you use for the video card. Well, you should test them and, if they work (e.g. with the command: vbetool dpms standby [you must be root to do that]), you can then write your own acpi action to be performed when the laptop lid is closed. I can even post the one I wrote for my laptop (with the same issue), it's really simple.

Hope this helps, thank you for the hints,
best,

d_p
Laptop HP Pavilion zv5000: AMD Athlon 3000+ (32 bit); Nvidia GeForce4 440 Go! 64 Mb, 8774 driver revision; 768 MB PCI2700; nForce3 mobo chipset and audiocard, other uninteresting stuff... Debian unstable-experimental, custom 2.6.17 kernel debian-patched
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
debian_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 07:21 AM   #4
dzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by debian_penguin
Hi dzr!

Interesting solution the one you suggest here. I'll give a try ASAP. However, if you want a workaround, you can do as I did: have you ever heard about vbetools? They are tools which talk directly to the dft bios, so that they can control it regardless of the driver you use for the video card. Well, you should test them and, if they work (e.g. with the command: vbetool dpms standby [you must be root to do that]), you can then write your own acpi action to be performed when the laptop lid is closed. I can even post the one I wrote for my laptop (with the same issue), it's really simple.

Hope this helps, thank you for the hints,
best,

d_p
Hi d_p, thanks for the reply. I think that perhaps you misunderstood my problem. My problem is not with ACPI or lid events. My problem is that if I leave the machine as is, lid up, after 30 minutes the screen should go into DPMS standby mode, then 15 minutes later it should go in to DPMS suspend mode, and the 15 minutes later should be switched off altogether. That does not happen.

Best, Darren
Old 01-12-06, 07:26 AM   #5
dzr

Looking back over some of the links I posted earlier I am now confident that this problem first started with driver 6629. Before that my UXGA (1600x1200) screen was always detected correctly by the NVIDIA driver without any options in modprobe.conf and DPMS worked correctly. Since then I have had to have the "NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0" option and DPMS no longer works. Surely this is a regression? Xander?
Old 01-12-06, 08:25 AM   #6
debian_penguin
Linux Addicted

hi dzr,

Sorry if this did not help. I did understand your problem, but I don't have a solution to this. With older driver dpms worked, so that my backlight could switch off with xset (which is the command invoked by xorg/xfree to suspend/standby/switch off your screen).

I have a laptop, so that's why I've suggested to work with the acpi lid as a workaround (this way I simply close the lid and the backlight is switched off). Maybe you can think about a similar workaround, but I have no simple idea on how to realize something aware of X activity, so that you can trigger a timer to switch the monitor off after a certain time has passed.

I've also tried to enable soft edids again, but with still no change.

I hope nvidia devs will work to get the dpms functionality working soon, but I understand it's not one of their priority.

Sorry for the slight misunderstanding,

best,
d_p
Laptop HP Pavilion zv5000: AMD Athlon 3000+ (32 bit); Nvidia GeForce4 440 Go! 64 Mb, 8774 driver revision; 768 MB PCI2700; nForce3 mobo chipset and audiocard, other uninteresting stuff... Debian unstable-experimental, custom 2.6.17 kernel debian-patched
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
debian_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 08:14 AM   #7
mindegy

I own an Inspiron 8000 with an nVidia Geforce 2 Go and screen sized 1600x1200. My current config is kernel 2.6.14-ck6 and nvidia-kernel-8178 with the latest patches automatically applied by gentoo.

I noticed the same problem, but I have a workaround for it:
first I have to enter "xset dpms force on" manually in order to switch my LCD off, but after that it can do it on its own depending on the settings in xorg.conf.
please verify this with your pc.

(btw. I'm trying to get suspend2 hibernation working now, but I think I give it up for a while...)
mindegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 02:04 PM   #8
zbiggy

My DPMS also seems to not work. xset -q says: 'DPMS is Disabled' however I have Option DPMS "1" in xorg.conf and XOrg.0.log says (**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS Enabled.

I have geforce 6150 on Asus A8N-VM CSM mainboard with ACPI Enabled. See attached Xorg.log for more details.

bash-3.1# xset -q
Keyboard Control:
auto repeat: on key click percent: 0 LED mask: 00000000
auto repeat delay: 250 repeat rate: 30
auto repeating keys: 00ffffffdffffbbf
fadfffdfffdfe5ef
ffffffffffffffff
ffffffffffffffff
bell percent: 50 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
Pointer Control:
acceleration: 20/10 threshold: 4
Screen Saver:
prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
timeout: 0 cycle: 600
Colors:
default colormap: 0x20 BlackPixel: 0 WhitePixel: 16777215
Font Path:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/
100dpi,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype
Bug Mode: compatibility mode is disabled
DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 1200 Suspend: 1800 Off: 2400
DPMS is Disabled
File paths:
Config file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Modules path: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules
Log file: /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (31.1 KB, 121 views)
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-06, 09:14 AM   #9
dzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindegy
I noticed the same problem, but I have a workaround for it:
first I have to enter "xset dpms force on" manually in order to switch my LCD off, but after that it can do it on its own depending on the settings in xorg.conf.
please verify this with your pc.
That doesn't work for me, I'm afraid. "xset dpms force on ; xset dpms force off" does not switch my screen off (or even blank it properly).
Old 02-08-06, 05:07 PM   #10
zbiggy

I upgraded X.Org to 6.9.0 and DPMS works now.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-06, 05:35 PM   #11
dzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy
I upgraded X.Org to 6.9.0 and DPMS works now.
Interesting, I'm using FC4 and I'm still on 6.8.2:

$ rpm -q xorg-x11
xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2

I'll be interested to see what happens when I upgrade to either 6.9.x or 7.0.x, which will probably be when FC5 is released. I don't think I'll try to upgrade before then, there's just too big a chance I'll end up breaking more than I might fix ...

But thanks for the info. I hope it solves my problem here. Without DPMS I'm seriously worried about the long term health of my screen.
Old 02-08-06, 06:59 PM   #12
bck

I think my son has the same laptop, with SuSE10.0, and I have a Latititude D800 with SuSE9.2. We've both tried most of the NVIDIA drivers with little problem. The problem of turning off the bulb when the screen is blanked seems to involve obscure configuration files and routines. Almost every time we change kernels, drivers or distributions we lose the ability to turn off the bulb, but we've always found something that worked eventually. My son uses 8178 and has the bulb turning off - certainly didn't happen until he found the correct configuration file. I still use 7667 because I have need for DGA. In SuSE, the screensaver seems to be the program that succeeds or fails to get the bulb to turn off. I suggest not giving up until you've enabled every example of "enable DPMS" in xorg.conf and screensaver - keep poking around.
bck is offline   Reply With Quote