Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-06, 11:24 AM   #13
Slyder
AMD + Nv = pro gaming rig

Default Re: Guild Wars: Factions Announcement!!!

Brilliant news about the exp pack. Man this so pwns WoW so much hardcore style.
Maxtor 6Y080L0 7200rpm 80 gig DiamondMax Plus 9 HDD
Gigabyte Dual 6600GT SLI Enabled
CTX VL701B 17ins CRT 0.27dpi 72khz MPRII Black
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
BenQ DW1655 LS DVD-Rewriter with BCDB f/w (ohh yes, get on)
LiteOn 48246S CD writer with SS0E f/w
NTL 10 meg cable connection thru Ambit 250 modem. Ethernet connected
Linksys BEFSR41 v3 router with 1.05.00 f/w
Enermax 535 watts SLI-Ready PSU
XP pro with SP2
Playing multiplayer games online and lan enabled untill the day we die.

What I think of the word Blog
Slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-06, 08:46 PM   #14
TierMann
Bite my shiny, metal @ss!

http://www.guildwars.com/default.html
Quote:
How do I get a key for the Guild Wars: Factions Global Free-For-All PvP Weekend?

We will be providing keys on the official website, www.guildwars.com, starting the afternoon of Friday, January 13th. All gamers are invited to join the event, whether they are a Guild Wars account holder or not. One regional key will be distributed for each of the American and European regions. This means that there's no need to worry about having a separate key for yourself and each friend who wants to play; all players from America will use a single key and all players from Europe will use another single key. The keys will be distributed via the official website, but you're also free to share with friends via email.

I am a Guild Wars account holder. Do I need to get a key?

Existing Guild Wars players do not need to acquire a key. They will obtain access to the Guild Wars: Factions Global Free-For-All PvP Weekend at the time that it launches. Oh, and players may want to pay close attention to the game world in the days preceding the event; things are changing in many interesting ways.

When can I set up my Guild Wars: Factions Global Free-For-All PvP Weekend account?

Anyone who owns Guild Wars does not need to do anything to activate the new content or to join the event. Those who do not own Guild Wars, or who intend to set up a different account for the Guild Wars: Factions Global Free-For-All PvP Weekend, can start account setup upon obtaining the key and they then can return to play at the start of the event.

Will I have more character slots for the Guild Wars: Factions Global Free-For-All PvP Weekend?

Character slots will remain at four. However, those with an existing PvP character slot are invited to create a new PvP character to try out the new professions: The Assassin or The Ritualist. You are also welcome to use one of the global access keys to create a second account, if you wish.

How will I get Assassin or Ritualist skills during the Guild Wars: Factions Global Free-For-All PvP Weekend?

You will start with a limited number of skills for the profession that you choose, and you will be able to acquire more skills through the unlocking process based on the gain of Faction during PvP gameplay.

If I unlock Assassin or Ritualist skills during the Guild Wars: Factions Global Free-For-All PvP Weekend, will I be able to keep them?

Yes, you will keep the Assassin and Ritualist skills that you unlock during the event. They will remain in your skill listing, but they will be inactive until you acquire the retail version of Guild Wars: Factions. On the other hand, the things you acquire on your normal retail account -- Faction Points, Fame, increases in Rank, Guild Wars Ladder ratings -- would remain on your account.

If I delete a character to make a Ritualist or an Assassin, will my character be replaced at the end of the Guild Wars: Factions Global Free-For-All PvP Weekend?

No, your character will not be replaced at the end of the event. So be sure you choose carefully and that you are aware that the characters that you create with the Ritualist or Assassin as a part of the profession setup will need to be recreated or “rerolled” after the event.

Will you be able to merge my Guild Wars: Factions Global Free-For-All PvP Weekend account with my existing account?

No, we will not be able to merge accounts. If you wish to keep your attainments from the Guild Wars: Factions Global Free-For-All PvP Weekend event, we heartily recommend that you play on a PvP Character slot on an existing Guild Wars account, in order to retain your unlocked skills.

Will the account that I create for this event be useful in the future?

The account that you use for the event could be converted into a regular retail account with the purchase of Guild Wars: Factions. The account also may be used for subsequent events, as long as you acquire the key that pertains to any future event.

Will there be future Guild Wars: Factions events?

Yes, definitely! Watch for more events in advance of the release of Guild Wars: Factions.
Quote:
The Guild Wars Team would like to invite gamers everywhere to join us on the weekend of January 20th for a Guild Wars: Factions Global Free-For-All PvP Weekend Event! This event will take place on the Battle Isles, the new PvP continent. Players can visit this new area of the world to to try out a brand new arena, to visit the new combat training zones, or to experience the PvP explorable areas. Join us to get an early look at how PvP will evolve with the coming of Guild Wars: Factions!

The Event Schedule
Start of Event: January 20th: Midnight Pacific Time; 8:00 a.m. GMT; 5:00 p.m. Seoul
Closing Time: January 22nd/23rd: 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time January 22nd; 7:59 a.m. GMT January 23rd; 4:50 p.m. Seoul January 23rd

Your Key to PvP

American Players:
888D9-H27PG-NM72D-PLHJ1-2HG11

European Players:
66DG9-C4RHB-9FKD6-287BJ-LRGCJ

Feel free to share this key with your friends, guild mates and gaming partners!

Download the Guild Wars game client now!
Weee! So players that allready own the game down have to get a key or download a different client. That's pretty cool.
Athlon XP 3000+ | ECS KM400M2 3.0 | 512mb DDR333 | PNY 5200 Ultra
TV-Tuner | Silver Aspire X-Qpack w/Windows | WinXP MCE 2005 | 200Gb Storage
DVD Collection -- MySpace
TierMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-06, 07:14 AM   #15
emailthatguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angshuman
I just hope the new chapter has a story that was not written by a 13-year old. And as for role-playing content, you actually get to make ONE choice in the game - the faction you want to belong to! It's not much, but hey, it's a start in trying to fulfil its claim of being a "Role Playing Game".

I'm still going to pre-order it though ... I think it's a fantastic co-operative and competitive action/adventure game
as far as i know all the story is written by the same dude. i cant find the link but its the same guy that did all the story for balders gate
No more ati | Athlon64 X2 6000+ Black | Asrock Mobo | 4GB RAM | 250 GB Maxtor Sata | Soundblaster X-fi XtremeGamer | EVGA 8800 GTS | HP w1907 Monitor | Logitech Z-680 Speakers | Audiovox PNP3 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner | Sidewinder Mouse| Vista Home Premium | Logitech G15 Keyboard
emailthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-06, 01:59 PM   #16
slick
Play with conviction.

Richard Garriot. Same guy that made all of the Ultima's and Lineage's.
Old 01-25-06, 02:15 PM   #17
superklye

Why do so many people hate the story? The parts that I have seen have been pretty good and it's a HELL of a lot better than the "story" in WoW. In fact, after all the time I spent playing, I couldn't even FIND a story in WoW.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-06, 02:57 PM   #18
killahsin

yeah wow is mainyl just a bunch of silly little sub stories weaved around small quests
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-06, 09:36 PM   #19
j0j081

Quote:
Originally Posted by angshuman
I just hope the new chapter has a story that was not written by a 13-year old. And as for role-playing content, you actually get to make ONE choice in the game - the faction you want to belong to! It's not much, but hey, it's a start in trying to fulfil its claim of being a "Role Playing Game".
I thought they stated it's neither an rpg or mmorpg.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-06, 05:21 AM   #20
angshuman
Pink GBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0j081
I thought they stated it's neither an rpg or mmorpg.
The official term is "CORPG" -- Competitive Online Role Playing Game. They are not staking any claims to the game being an MMO, but they do insist on the Role Playing part.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Anet for the fact that they made an effort to integrate a story into a cooperative online game, something that is not quite straightforward. Their Mission system with its varied objectives is quite good. My only gripe is that the effort was halfhearted.

And then there's the voice-acting. It is really, really bad. If you want an example, go do an infusion run and listen to the dialogue between the Seer and the PC. It really sounds like a couple of coders were paid overtime to read the dialogue out of a manuscript. It sounds so cheesy I felt embarrassed to just listen to the damn thing when I played it the first time.

Now compare that to the voice-acting in a game like KOTOR.
Rig 1: Athlon64 X2 4800+ Toledo | BFG GeForce 7800GTX 256MB | MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI | 1GB DDR400 Corsair ValueSelect | 80GB Hitachi SATA + 160GB WD IDE | Samsung DVD+/-RW | Sony DVD-ROM | Enermax 535W | Logitech Z-3 | Logitech MX1000 | Dell 1905FP

Rig 2: Athlon64 3300+ Clawhammer | eVGA GeForce 6200A | ECS 760GX-M Micro ATX | 512MB DDR333 pqi | 10GB WD IDE | Liteon DVD-ROM | Athenatech A106 Case with 200W PSU | Logitech Cordless Desktop Express | Logitech X-530
angshuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-06, 01:54 AM   #21
j0j081

I think the voice acting is okay with some characters. I haven't gotten very far into the game yet but Warmaster Hammer or whatever his name is sounded pretty good for a dwarf.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote