Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-18-06, 12:07 AM   #13
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Cannot install Nvidia Geforce MX 4000

Have you followed the instructions in the error message?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-06, 12:49 AM   #14
ruuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Have you followed the instructions in the error message?

Thanks,
Lonni
First, the instructions in the installer message only provides for bug reporting. There are two reasons why this is inappropriate. I have installed this same source on non-scsi systems and have successfully compiled new kernels. Second, the gcc.gnu.org site indicates that they are only taking bug reports on newer versions of gcc.

In my area of expertice (networking), we troubleshoot down to a definitive problem. Once the problem is isolated, we correct it. Now, I know that sometimes the shotgun approach works. But, for me, I just spent over 100 hours following advise that got me nowhere. I am really interested in hearing from someone who can tell me how to isolate the problem.

Please escalate this to someone who can help me. Your assistance will be appreciated.
ruuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-06, 04:55 AM   #15
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@ruuster: we understand your frustration, but this problem is clearly not caused by a bug in the NVIDIA driver - the source for the NVIDIA kernel module, even if it was broken, should not be able to crash the system compiler. Since you are using Linux 2.4, however, you can safely try to build/install the driver with a different version of gcc 3.x (e.g. gcc 3.4) by using `CC=/path/to/gcc IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 sh NVIDIA...`. Please contact Slackware developers for assistance with the compiler shipped with Slackware 10.2.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-06, 12:41 PM   #16
ruuster

Angry Re: Cannot install Nvidia Geforce MX 4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
@ruuster: we understand your frustration, but this problem is clearly not caused by a bug in the NVIDIA driver - the source for the NVIDIA kernel module, even if it was broken, should not be able to crash the system compiler. Since you are using Linux 2.4, however, you can safely try to build/install the driver with a different version of gcc 3.x (e.g. gcc 3.4) by using `CC=/path/to/gcc IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 sh NVIDIA...`. Please contact Slackware developers for assistance with the compiler shipped with Slackware 10.2.
I can understand that and I do not expect Nvidia to correct non-Nvidia problems. However, when the help I am provided does not know what a scsi.s kernel is, and then, tells me I have one of three problems, which takes countless hours to eliminate, I can only conclude that I am getting very bad advise/support. That does not mean that I am demanding a fix from Nvidia. I only expect good advise and support here for the Nvidia products. I am resentful about the poor advise that was not even accompanied with "you may want to try...", or "I think it is possible...". I got statements that I had one of three problems. When I make a statement like that, I am betting my reputation that one of those three problems are in effect. I got the strong impression that my earlier support was "slinging it against the wall to see what sticks", or more accurately, what makes the poster go away and stop posting. I feel this was being done with no regard to the countless hours that were invested in testing what was stated to be a definitive list of possible causes. I had no interest in hearing from this individual what the next list of possibilities could be. Maybe he should learn that it is OK to say he does not know and at least state that something is a possibility. His statement that I had one of three problems was very costly to me and was clearly inaccurate. A guess should never be disguised as a fact. I am greatly dissapointed.
ruuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 09:49 AM   #17
dstrbd1

I had a similar problem but i'm running Mandriva '06 and i'm totally new to linux and most of this is greek!
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote