Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-14-06, 10:28 AM   #1
kingsasch

Default Nforce, Linux and the endless story of the drivers!!!!!!!!

I very angry about the policy of the hardware manufactures. There are many problems to get correct drivers for the linux system. I requested support at asus for the nforce2 and they answered that i have to ask for my problems at nvidia. nvidia show at their pages that everyone has to contact the manufacturerer for support. It's like a kidding game.
The problem with the nforce at linux is the wrong sound driver. Nvidia uses a patched driver for OSS. But OSS is deprecated in the latest linux distributions and it#s not possible to use dolby surround with linux.
I read in the last days that Bill Gates stated, that Linux got 960% more users in the last year. I think it's time for the manufactures of hardware to watch for the growing Linux community and to distribute working drivers for all the different distributions.
kingsasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-06, 04:54 PM   #2
zbiggy

Default Re: Nforce, Linux and the endless story of the drivers!!!!!!!!

I agree with you in 100%. The main reason that manfacturers do not pay attention to us is we (linux users) are not united so can not make so much noise as windows users do. I'm talking about ALSA driver for nForce since a long time. Few other people also complains about missing alsa. But you know, manfacturer (anyone) will not do anything for few people. Nvidia knows very good till ATI will not start figting for Linux users Nvidia's driver is better enough to push me to buy Nvidia than poor ATI. So there is no reason to fix driver. Only decreased revenue can push ATI to look for new customers (e.g. linux).
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 04:55 PM   #3
kingsasch

Sorry, but i didn#t talk about graphic drivers in my post. I#m using since htree years only ati-cards. I was talking only about the nforce drivers for sound and usb. I talked the last days with many peoples at my university about this manufacturing problem. They all agreed that we need a world-wide Linux family to take action. I think that all the distributors of Linux have to discuss with the main manufactures for graphic adapters and for mainboards that they are responsible for providing Linux drivers with their products. But I think in this case Nvidia should open thier specifikations for nforce and the graphic adapters. Only at this way it is possible for the Linux distributors to create working drivers for all hardware. I know that all Linux distributors tried to implement nfocr drivers in the 2.6 Kernel. But most aren't working. So the manufactures should change their policy. Microsoft isn't the one and only producer of operating systems. For this reason the need open source drivers. The next think, my ATI card is working very good on Linux. For ATI you have only to create a special modul for your distribution. For me as Linuxnewbie(I#M working since five weeks on it) it was very simple to have a working driver for the graphic adapter. The driver from ATI gives th user the choice to compile this special packages. You can chose for SUSE,Mandrake,Ubuntu,Gentoo or direct for XOrg in different version. I have no idea about the Nvidia driver for graphic adapters but i think that the driver from ATI is simple and everyone can use it in the right way.
Old 01-15-06, 07:52 PM   #4
zbiggy

Recent ALSA has driver for nForce sound: intel-8x0 for nForce2,3 and intel-hda for nForce4 (no hardware mixing in nForce2 however it can do this). You have to confirm names of modules because I never used them so could wrongly name them. On nForce2 APU I use OSS nForce driver to have hardware mixing, for nForce4 I had to put in Audigy2 card to have hardware mixing.

For usb the driver is built in in every kernel: select OHCI to enable it.

nVidia won't open drivers. This is not big obstacle IF manfacturer keep updating them as soon as kernel changes. However Nforce driver 1.0-310 used to kernel panic on my Abit NF7-S 2.0 mainboard and kernels equal or greater to 2.6.14. Missing ALSA support is also serious and OpenAL library is 1.0 -very old. People still wait for update. If the driver would be open someone could fix it.

As for ATI I know about their simple driver. I used first releases for my Radeon 9000 when I had one (It took some time when ATI linux driver began to support Radeon 9000). But in comparison to nVidia they are very limited yet: no XvMC and XAA hardware acceleration, limited colour depths. When ATI pushes new driver for download I read changelog to learn how far the progress is made. I could not find any impressive improvment yet, they only add support for new models faster than before and make little steps (which is good sign for linux community). If ATI implement XvMC acceleration I will start looking at it more. ATI earlier made DVD HW acceleration (since ATI 128 chip - before radeon appeared), but never provided acceleration support in driver for linux so you have DVD acceleration but can not use it because ATI driver do not support it. Nvidia provided DVD HW acceleration later (with geforce4 mx) together with driver support so you can use it with linux.
ATI is good if need only basic features of card. If you look for more advanced things like DVD HW acceleration nVidia is better.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 06:57 AM   #5
kingsasch

I know about the snd8x0 driver. but it will only work with nforce cloning the stereosound to the rear boxes. so i can't use dolby suround. only the oss will support this. i use open suse 10 and in this version oss is deprecated. i have the nvsound file as modul integrated. but alsa can't work with this driver.
With my graphic adapter i can look dvd and any kind of films. but you need libxine. with xine-lib you have no change to look a film. this is a problem with the codecs. i use libxine and can look every kind of film at the computer.
Old 01-16-06, 01:48 PM   #6
energyman76b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsasch
I very angry about the policy of the hardware manufactures. There are many problems to get correct drivers for the linux system. I requested support at asus for the nforce2 and they answered that i have to ask for my problems at nvidia. nvidia show at their pages that everyone has to contact the manufacturerer for support. It's like a kidding game.
The problem with the nforce at linux is the wrong sound driver. Nvidia uses a patched driver for OSS. But OSS is deprecated in the latest linux distributions and it#s not possible to use dolby surround with linux.
I read in the last days that Bill Gates stated, that Linux got 960% more users in the last year. I think it's time for the manufactures of hardware to watch for the growing Linux community and to distribute working drivers for all the different distributions.
SO START BUYING HARDWARE THAT HAS OPEN DRIVERS!

Your bitching doesn't change anything!

You want boards with everything supported and opensource?
By Uli!
Or Via!

It is your own f* fault to buy hardware, that is incompletly supported.

So stop bitching and start voting with your wallet!
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 02:34 PM   #7
stobbsm

Send a message via MSN to stobbsm

You can use the intel8x0 sound driver with alsa to do what you want.

It's pretty easy to get up and running, you just need to look around.

Mind you, I'm only running a 2.1 sound system, but still, the open driver is intel8x0. Works perfect for me.
Old 01-17-06, 10:20 AM   #8
rsrtfm
Suse user

hello, you 'd say, ULI is opensource,... any better luck with SuSe 10.0 ?
do need an micro-atx mb,... what's the different with VIA vs. ULI ?

do agree, with the wallet vote,... unfortunatly , there is still no garrantie it will work, .... linux hardware support still sucks, example, try to buy an scanner and a webcamera,... somebody might have it working,....but the regular Joe might never get it to work,... so where do I go vote with my wallet ?

cheers, Robert Schultz
( Gruesse aus dem Ruebly Land)

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b
SO START BUYING HARDWARE THAT HAS OPEN DRIVERS!

Your bitching doesn't change anything!

You want boards with everything supported and opensource?
By Uli!
Or Via!

It is your own f* fault to buy hardware, that is incompletly supported.

So stop bitching and start voting with your wallet!

Old 01-17-06, 01:40 PM   #9
energyman76b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrtfm
hello, you 'd say, ULI is opensource,... any better luck with SuSe 10.0 ?
do need an micro-atx mb,... what's the different with VIA vs. ULI ?

( Gruesse aus dem Ruebly Land)
Via uses uhci-usb
Via is known for crappy PCI performance (nvidia too, so if you need pci-performance, because you are using controller cards, tv cards or other stuf, don't buy it)
Via is known for data corrupting PCI quirks
Via has some pretty crappy IDE implementations.

ULI uses the AHCI Sata implementation in their newer chips (which is a good thing).

For the 939DualSata2 you should use a kernel >= 2.6.14 or you have to download and install the (open source) network driver. This is not demanding, but if you are too scared to build your own modules, try a later kernel.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote