Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-29-06, 12:57 AM   #1561
ViN86

Default Re: NVNews Widescreen LCD Club (formally DELL thread)

that thing is beautiful.

when you get your two vid cards, you should run the 3007 in the middle and the two 20 inchers on each side
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 01:12 AM   #1562
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
that thing is beautiful.

when you get your two vid cards, you should run the 3007 in the middle and the two 20 inchers on each side
hahahaha...if I still had the second one and my desk was able to support the other two monitors (both in terms of space and capacity), I totally would do that.

I think, technically, the 3007WFP is too heavy for my desk. It's 30-some lbs with the stand along with everything else on my desk, it's over the 45lb limit the manufacturer gave.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 01:14 AM   #1563
superklye

And the craziest thing is that I'm used to this monitor already. I really don't think I can ever go to something smaller again. It was really hard to work on my 19" CRT at work today because it felt so tiny (even though it's at 1600x1200).

I'm spoiled with a ridiculous resolution. And WoW is just amazing at 2560x1600.
Old 12-29-06, 01:52 AM   #1564
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Thanks for the pics kyle
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 02:01 AM   #1565
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Don't rear speakers belong in the rear?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 08:39 AM   #1566
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter
Yes that sucks, was it a Dell 3007?
Samsung Syncmaster 244T. I've never had a Samsung screen with dead pixels before so I'm guessing I just got total crap luck with this one.

I went to Best Buy and picked up a Gateway FPD2485W, thinking I might just use it and take the refund for the Samsung. I also much prefer to buy monitors locally instead of ordering online (for this exact reason), though I'm usually disappointed with the quality compared to what is available online. The Gateway screen looked very crisp with vibrant color at the store though, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Things were different at home. Uncalibrated, the screen is a bit blurry due to very high brightness (almost blinding) and what seems like excessive color saturation. Text appears to bleed a bit compared to my Dell 2001FP at work and the Samsung 244T. Blacks are crushed (badly in some cases, like Quake 4) when looking directly at the screen, though oddly enough the picture looks fantastic when viewing the screen at an angle. After calibrating the monitor I realized I couldn't do anything about the loss of detail when looking directly at the screen, though turning on Digital Vibrance to about 10% improved the picture quality quite a bit (unfortunately this only helps my PC; I had wanted to hook this up to my X-Box as well). Ghosting is generally not noticeable except in some dark scenes with blue-ish hues - character models will leave moderately sized brownish trails, which is distracting. The monitor also emits an incredibly annoying high-pitched buzzing noise at all times (if you've ever had tinnitus, it's like that). There is also noticeable flickering on some web pages with repeating backgrounds (NZone is a great example of this) when scrolling which is very annoying. On the bright side, there were no dead or stuck pixels.

I realize this monitor is one of the lowest-priced 24" widescreens available, but its various flaws are in my opinion inexcusable. The panel seems very cheap. I guess I'll be sticking with online orders and just hoping I don't get unlucky like I did with the Samsung. I'll keep the Gateway until the replacement Samsung gets here but frankly it can't get here soon enough. If you were looking at the Gateway I'd strongly recommend you look elsewhere.

superklye - nice monitor man. One question though - why do you have a bowl on your desk that says "Urine-Off"?
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410

Last edited by Ninjaman09; 12-29-06 at 08:58 AM.
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 09:05 AM   #1567
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Samsung Syncmaster 244T. I've never had a Samsung screen with dead pixels before so I'm guessing I just got total crap luck with this one.

I went to Best Buy and picked up a Gateway FPD2485W, thinking I might just use it and take the refund for the Samsung. I also much prefer to buy monitors locally instead of ordering online (for this exact reason), though I'm usually disappointed with the quality compared to what is available online. The Gateway screen looked very crisp with vibrant color at the store though, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Things were different at home. Uncalibrated, the screen is a bit blurry due to very high brightness (almost blinding) and what seems like excessive color saturation. Text appears to bleed a bit compared to my Dell 2001FP at work and the Samsung 244T. Blacks are crushed (badly in some cases, like Quake 4) when looking directly at the screen, though oddly enough the picture looks fantastic when viewing the screen at an angle. After calibrating the monitor I realized I couldn't do anything about the loss of detail when looking directly at the screen, though turning on Digital Vibrance to about 10% improved the picture quality quite a bit (unfortunately this only helps my PC; I had wanted to hook this up to my X-Box as well). Ghosting is generally not noticeable except in some dark scenes with blue-ish hues - character models will leave moderately sized brownish trails, which is distracting. The monitor also emits an incredibly annoying high-pitched buzzing noise at all times (if you've ever had tinnitus, it's like that). There is also noticeable flickering on some web pages with repeating backgrounds (NZone is a great example of this) when scrolling which is very annoying. On the bright side, there were no dead or stuck pixels.

I realize this monitor is one of the lowest-priced 24" widescreens available, but its various flaws are in my opinion inexcusable. The panel seems very cheap. I guess I'll be sticking with online orders and just hoping I don't get unlucky like I did with the Samsung. I'll keep the Gateway until the replacement Samsung gets here but frankly it can't get here soon enough. If you were looking at the Gateway I'd strongly recommend you look elsewhere.

superklye - nice monitor man. One question though - why do you have a bowl on your desk that says "Urine-Off"?
damn man, that sucks. how did you plan to hook your xbox (i assume you mean 360?) up to your monitor, via component or VGA?

the VGA cable is awesome, i just went into settings and set the display settings to 1920x1200 and it looks beautiful

as for you kyle, you should buy another desk just for your three monitors. when you get your vid cards, you should try it once and post some pics, hehe.
Old 12-29-06, 10:08 AM   #1568
Riptide

lol that "urine-off" thing is shaped like a toilet bowl I think. hehe
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-06, 10:14 AM   #1569
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Yeah I meant the 360. Now that you mention it, have you noticed a reduction in ghosting via the VGA cable versus the component on the Dell screen? Before I returned the Samsung I hooked up my X-Box to it via component and I noticed some ghosting in Gears of War, though through DVI on my PC there was virtually none.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 10:52 AM   #1570
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Yeah I meant the 360. Now that you mention it, have you noticed a reduction in ghosting via the VGA cable versus the component on the Dell screen? Before I returned the Samsung I hooked up my X-Box to it via component and I noticed some ghosting in Gears of War, though through DVI on my PC there was virtually none.
well, one of the main reasons i got the 2407 was for the component input, but i only want to use that with HDTV. as soon as i found out there was a VGA cable for the 360, i got it (i was pleasantly surprised to see actual resolution options, haha) so sorry, i cant really compare the two. i could try it out if you want, let me know.

i dont see any ghosting using the VGA adapter though. its just like my PC running at 1920x1200.
Old 12-29-06, 11:18 AM   #1571
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
Don't rear speakers belong in the rear?
If I had a room that allowed for it, yeah, they would.
Old 12-29-06, 11:20 AM   #1572
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter
Thanks for the pics. It fits perfectly on your desk
Heh, yeah...I couldn't believe it...it's extended as high as it goes and when I push it down to be the right verticalness (sp?), it fits perfectly snug on those two raised parts.

I wish it had maybe 1" more of clearance, but ah well. This is just fine with me.