Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-08-05, 09:25 PM   #301
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick
Default Re: ***Official Dell 2405W & 2005FPW Deals, Feedback Thread***

I have my panel up and running. ITS a MONSTER in size i cant belive it! wow!!!!
Old 03-09-05, 09:38 AM   #302
pooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick
This thing is huge. As pointed out in the [h] forums, the pictures you see of it somehow just don't do it any justice. I was actually quite disapointed when I saw the pics...it looks rather small. I was pleasantly surprised to see it was just a weird optical illusion when I set it up.

You try any games or movies yet?
pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 09:39 AM   #303
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:

where's my commision
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 01:47 PM   #304
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooter
This thing is huge. As pointed out in the [h] forums, the pictures you see of it somehow just don't do it any justice. I was actually quite disapointed when I saw the pics...it looks rather small. I was pleasantly surprised to see it was just a weird optical illusion when I set it up.

You try any games or movies yet?
I tired tv shows. StarTrek DS9 in some dark sceens the detail is gone. Season 6, Episode 1 where the jem'hadar board DS9 the bodies were just black outlines. Like ive said before, LCDS cant do greys for anything. However movies like spiderman and stuff were pritty good, no noticble ghosting for movies. Havent tired any games yet (as its set to secondary right now)

BTW, is there any software that stretches it (elegantly) to fit all of the screen? becuase dvd's and 4:3 tv only uses partial.

Im gonna be running some more tests and makeing a new thread about them eventually stay tuned~!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar

where's my commision
I belive its in Stage 1 of 255 in production! check back for a ship date :d
Old 03-09-05, 02:23 PM   #305
Riptide

Quote:
I tired tv shows. StarTrek DS9 in some dark sceens the detail is gone. Season 6, Episode 1 where the jem'hadar board DS9 the bodies were just black outlines. Like ive said before, LCDS cant do greys for anything.
OK, firstly understand that this thing is overly bright out of the box IMO. Some people think it's fine, I think they are wrong. I will quote some messages further in this reply that show I am not the only one noticing this.

There are two approaches to addressing this problem. For one, someone over on HardOCP is going to use a LACIE and report back with their findings. But they haven't got their display yet so we'll have to wait there. Until then, you can either lower gamma (in my ATI driver .8 looks better) via software -OR- you can take the RGB settings in the control panel and drop them down a bit. Try 35/40/35 and just work around from there until it looks a bit better. I'm at work now or I'd share my settings with you. Also, you may wish to turn brightness down by at least 10 points.
Quote:
However movies like spiderman and stuff were pritty good, no noticble ghosting for movies. Havent tired any games yet (as its set to secondary right now)
I haven't noticed any ghosting in CS:S or UT2004 so far. Been absolutely perfect in that department. And no backlight bleed at all.
Quote:
BTW, is there any software that stretches it (elegantly) to fit all of the screen? becuase dvd's and 4:3 tv only uses partial.
Well 4:3 stretched would look like hell anyway, so I'd just let it fill the screen and leave borders. If you wanted 4:3 you should've stuck with a 4:3 aspect display.

That said, this 2405 does have a larger image even at 4:3 vs. my 2001FP. So it's still a step up there.

I have been having some issues with SOME DVDs. For some reason 5th Element works just fine - stretches from side to side and keeps the proper aspect ratio. But other widescreen movies, like Back To School (R. Dangerfield) won't stretch to fit. I haven't been able to fix this yet, nor do I know why it does that. Those movies are wider than they are tall so they should be able to stretch side-side and keep the right aspect ratio. But for some reason it just refuses to work. I tried PowerDVD and media player classic - they both do it. If you find out why this happens let me know.
Quote:
Im gonna be running some more tests and makeing a new thread about them eventually stay tuned~!~
Anyway, here are a few excerpts from posts on arstechnica about the color rendition.
Quote:
First, the colors are a bit too vivid; they are oversaturated and not 'real' looking. It's a bit cartoony. There is also fairly significant 'white crush', which is where "almost white" bleeds into "pure white". There doesn't seem to be any adjustment for Contrast when in DVI mode. What I'd like to do is knock that contrast down some; I think that would take care of the white crush and probably would cut down the color oversaturation too. I assume I'll have to tweak in the factory service menus... does anyone yet know how to get to them?
He doesn't know this, but contrast is not adjustable when in DVI mode.
Quote:
Overall, the quality of the monitor is amazing, but it's set to 'torch mode' to impress people who don't know what the image SHOULD look like... assuming the backlighting and contrast can be dropped somewhat, this will be an incredibly good choice. At $860, it's the steal of the last 3 years. If it turns out that they can't be adjusted... well, if realistic image quality matters to you, you might want to hold off for the next generation. This is a really good monitor, but it's not quite perfect in this iteration.
Quote:
1. yep, seems bright, haven't played around with it. Have not fired up a dvd yet because I don't have one because plextor's tech support completely sucks (bought a doa sata dvd burner last month, and have gotten horrific support via email. need to call and yell).
Let me say that I don't regret getting the display even if it ends up being a case where the colors being washed out requires a software gamma fix. The size of it, the response time, the lack of backlight problems, etc.. It's a good monitor. I just wish I didn't have to exchange mine because of those two dead pixels (one of which I can't live with because of where it's at, and showing up on white).
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 07:33 PM   #306
pooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
I have been having some issues with SOME DVDs. For some reason 5th Element works just fine - stretches from side to side and keeps the proper aspect ratio. But other widescreen movies, like Back To School (R. Dangerfield) won't stretch to fit. I haven't been able to fix this yet, nor do I know why it does that. Those movies are wider than they are tall so they should be able to stretch side-side and keep the right aspect ratio. But for some reason it just refuses to work. I tried PowerDVD and media player classic - they both do it. If you find out why this happens let me know.
Regarding the aspect ration, what movies can you stretch and what can't? I have the feeling it has to do with the aspect ratio the movies were filmed in. 5th Element = 2.35:1
Back to School = 1.85:1

For reference, Saving Private Ryan doesn't let me stretch. It is 1.85:1
Maybe theres a pattern?
pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 07:56 PM   #307
Riptide

As I run into more discs that have this problem I'll post back here. Also, I'll keep an eye peeled out there on the net in case I find a solution somewhere else or a discussion regarding this little problem (w/the stretching of some movies).
Old 03-10-05, 05:38 PM   #308
Beng

Guys, if you look a DVD with this screen from let's say 5ft distance, will it give
the same experience as looking a DVD at a big Plasma from let's say 12ft?

I'm in for a new big screen in the living room to look my movies at, but maybe this baby does a better job, only downfall will be that i have to look my movies in the pc room.
Beng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-05, 07:50 PM   #309
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
As I run into more discs that have this problem I'll post back here. Also, I'll keep an eye peeled out there on the net in case I find a solution somewhere else or a discussion regarding this little problem (w/the stretching of some movies).
Have you guys tried watching with PowerDVD 5 or 6? I believe it has a Aspect Ratio adjustment somewhere in the menu. I will recieve my 2405 on Monday of next week. I'll mess around with the app and see whats what!
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 09:44 PM   #310
JoKeRr

Post some PICS, PLZ!!!!!!!
P4 3.0C 30 capper @3.6ghz 1.475V Vcore, Asus P4P800, Gigabyte Geforce 6800GT with NV5, 2x512mb Crucial BallisitiX 2.5-2-2-5 at DDR480, samsung 172T, Enermax Noisetaker 475W, TR XP-90 +panaflo 92mm high, 200gb Seagate, 250gb Maxtor SATA, + 80gb Maxtor, 80gb Raptor ADFD!! D-Link 108mbps PCI wireless card + Atheros Driver, MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, Logitech Elite Keyboard

Laptop: Toshiba A100-OFH: Core Dual A2050--1.6ghz X2 @ 533FSB, 1gb DDR2, 15.4'' WXGA glare screen, DVD-RW, 100gb HDD, Intel GMA950, WinXP SP2 Home edition, Office XP
JoKeRr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 12:14 AM   #311
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
Have you guys tried watching with PowerDVD 5 or 6? I believe it has a Aspect Ratio adjustment somewhere in the menu. I will recieve my 2405 on Monday of next week. I'll mess around with the app and see whats what!
Pan/Scan doesn't fix things without caveats. If I use it with one of the problem DVDs that won't snap to fit properly I end up with the sides being chopped off. I haven't had much time yet to troubleshoot this. I have a new version of PowerDVD (6.0) but I have held off loading it on my PC because last time I installed it decided to associate itself with every media file type on my machine (.mp3/.wav/.wmv/etc.).

Plus I just haven't had the time to watch many movies lately. I will say 5th Element looks excellent though.

Perhaps some pictures will be forthcoming on Sunday when I get some time to sit down and play.
Old 03-12-05, 08:08 AM   #312
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Rip try PowerDVD 6, thats what I use. I think pooter was on the right track though, it may has more to do w/ the aspect ratio the movie was encoded in than anything else. PowerDVD does have a "smart stretch" option you can use but it still cuts off part of the screen. The "use aspect ratio" option in PowerDVd 6 has always worked fine for me.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote