Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-01-06, 09:36 PM   #757
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Default Re: NVNews Widescreen LCD Club (formally DELL thread)

I got a nice Dell experience to share with you guys.

I bought a Dell 2005FPW LCD back in early October last year. The LCD had a scratch on the top right corner, so I called their Tech Support to get it replaced. About a week later, they sent me a replacement. But this time, the LCD has some severe backlight bleeding, so I contacted Tech Support again and gave them my case number. Two days later, they sent me two more 2005FPW's and picked up the original one that had a scratch on it. Anyways, this time both LCDs were perfect, no dead pixs or backlight bleeding, so I used one and put the other back into the box. Two weeks later, Dell called and said someone's gonna come pick up the monitor. A day later someone came to my house. I thought he's going to pick up both monitors so I stacked them together the night before, but the Dell guy said his list only showed one that had to be picked up, so he took the one on the top which happened to be the one that had backlight bleeding. Now two months have passed with no more word from Dell again.

So $630 for two 2005FPW's, gotta love Dell.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-06, 07:42 AM   #758
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

2 months... sounds like you got yourself a free screen. Nice! I personally had a bad experience with the 2005FPW from Dell. The first one I recieved had severe bad light bleed and several dead pixels so I called Dell and they sent out a replacement. The replacement was better but the bottom left hand corner of the screen had horrible back light bleed as well. After two bad screens I gave up on the 2005FPW and ordered a second 2001FP. Months later I picked up a 2405FPW and have been happy ever since. The 2405FPW is one of the only 24" LCDs I've seen that has great blacks, no back light problems and gives you a usb hub AND a media card reader for under a grand!! You gotta love Dell!!
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-06, 08:39 AM   #759
Riptide

Look no offense intended but I don't buy the bad luck thing. No way. Not when two people I know also got ones with a couple problem pixels.

I think people aren't quite as good at finding them as they think they are. In some cases it took a matter of weeks to a month or so before I was able to find the bad ones. They are extremely hard to pick out when the density is so high. But given the perfect conditions (background, viewing distance at the time, etc.) they will show.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-06, 02:07 PM   #760
Strahd

Well I have had my 2405FPW for 3 months now and so far so good. I love this monitor Maybe I got lucky with the two I bought

My rig:
[size=1]Intel I7-950 with H70 (for now stock)
EVGA X58 Classified3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
2 X eVGA 450 GTS
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 850W SSI PSU
CoolerMaster Half X Case
2 X Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3250318AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s in raid 0
Dell 2405FPW Monitor
Logitech G15 Keyboard
World of Warcraft Cataclysm Mouse by Steelseries
QcK+ Steel mouse pad
Strahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-06, 03:44 PM   #761
Riptide

Either lucky or you're just missing something.

Honestly I wouldn't go looking. If it's out of sight, out of mind.
Old 02-02-06, 06:24 PM   #762
OWA

I can understand why you think the way you do but you also have to realize that most of us base what we think/believe from our own personal experiences. So, until I see evidence to the contrary, I'm going to believe and relay to people that I think bad pixels are uncommon.

Or, if you can show me statistics from manufacturers that say...well, I guess from your experiences, 100% of LCDs have bad pixels, then maybe I'll change my mind.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-06, 06:43 PM   #763
Riptide

Well if my personal experience isn't enough to change your mind how about the simple fact that many online retailers don't do exchanges based on a single dead pixel and in many cases even multiple ones. Newegg in particular is/was particularly bad. And up until very recently Samsung was the ONLY manufacturer that had a -0- dead pixel policy. And at first that only applied to North Korea, not even the states.

I dunno, I don't wanna beat a dead horse here and I understand that we see what we see. In your defense there is a poll, an old one, over on [H] forums which shows the majority of people got perfect displays.

I just think they are missing something.

Unfortunately no easy way to prove that. lol
Old 02-02-06, 07:02 PM   #764
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

You do understand RIP that the panels are all made by like 2 or 3 companies out there, and the others just package them right?

I understand how they can have a different QC setup but me, my brother and my brother-in-law all have different ultrasharp panels and there are 0 dead pixels between us.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-06, 07:11 PM   #765
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

All right you geeky sons of *******, thanks to you I've decided to take the plunge. I'm trying to arrange a local pickup of a Dell 2005FPW that I just won off eBay. If it works out, it'll cost me $404 out the door.

I just wanted to post that I hate you all for making me spend this money.

At least I can sell off my current monitor to help recoup some of those costs.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-06, 07:12 PM   #766
OWA

I was also talking to someone else about this and he said he thought it use to be more of problem earlier on but nowadays, it's not. That would make sense in regards to my experiences since all of the ones I've purchased have been in the last year or so.

Edit: I'll contribute $25 to your monitor fund if you say you have zero dead pixels once you get it.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-06, 07:15 PM   #767
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Edit: I'll contribute $25 to your monitor fund if you say you have zero dead pixels once you get it.
Quoted so that you can't go back and edit.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-06, 07:59 PM   #768
Riptide

LOL

Things may have changed but it will definitely only have been in the last year or so. I was greeted with the same skepticisim however three years ago when I started to mention what was going on with the displays I had.

Remember this isn't just ME. Two panels bought by friends from Dell also have stuck pixels on black.

If dead pixels were so rare then the manufacturers and the vendors would not have the policies that they did up until just very recently. And some continue to have them even today. Because they are not rare. They are common, or at least were until the very recent past.

You guys are wasting your breath on me here. I think you are missing something, you say you aren't, there's no way for anyone to prove jack squat.