Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-06, 11:24 PM   #829
Riptide

Default Re: NVNews Widescreen LCD Club (formally DELL thread)

I run it via DVI in 1920x1080. It's a 1080 proscan display.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 07:26 AM   #830
OWA

Yeah, I use it on the DVI connection as well. It has two DVI connections, one is 1080p and the other is 1080i. Running the desktop and games at 1920x1080.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter
Woah nice. I wish we had HDTV in europe/switzerland! Here is still low res the standard...
We're still in the process of moving to it so low-res is still pretty much the standard here as well. I can't remember what year we're supposed to be switched by but it seems like things are moving very, very slowly.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 07:54 AM   #831
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

No HDMI inputs on the Westy. To connect HDMI components to the Westy you'd need a HDMI to DVI cable.
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 08:16 AM   #832
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
YI can't remember what year we're supposed to be switched by but it seems like things are moving very, very slowly.
Oh sometime on or before the year 2006. lol
Old 02-14-06, 06:07 PM   #833
OWA

Below are the inputs the Westinghouse has. A friend of mine is considering one so I scanned the manual page for him. Also, a friend passed along the below link to me recently. The link is for a local place but if you can find a similiar deal (especially with the $500 off) this one looks pretty good also. It's a 42" LCD supporting 1080p as well.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=&browse=

Last edited by OWA; 02-14-06 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 06:23 PM   #834
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

So when are we going to get the offical "Westinghouse 37 LCD" review?
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 06:41 PM   #835
OWA

I'm pretty sure I remember Riptide saying he'd love to do a Westinghouse review.
Old 02-14-06, 06:53 PM   #836
Riptide

lol

I'm not sure I can be arsed to do yet another set of pictures.

I might though. Basically I'm happy with the display. So far haven't found any problem pixels and backlight bleed is minimal to non-existent. It does exactly what I expected of it. Kinda like the 2405FPW though, it's out of tune right out of the box and takes some tinkering. Good God the backlight is ridiculous with this display out of the box. Turn that thing DOWN.

Old 02-14-06, 07:06 PM   #837
OWA

One thing I've noticed is that the Westinghouse white is so bright and uh, white, that it makes the white on my Dell and Viewsonic look dull-white (almost like my other LCDs have a yellow'ish tint). Maybe it's still a backlight brightness issue though.
Old 02-15-06, 08:24 AM   #838
Riptide

One thing I've discovered is that AA is more important to use with displays like these big TVs that don't have the same pixel density as the smaller screens.

OWA I keep my backlight at 0 and my brightness turned down a notch or two. I'll try to remember and post the exact settings I'm using.

Another thing to consider: whites and brighter colors will seem more overpowering simply due to the vastly increased luminosity of a much much larger display. So to a degree we should expect that sort of thing.
Old 02-15-06, 08:45 AM   #839
OWA

Right now I'm in a quandary so I'm probably going to ramble a bit.

I had a nice setup where I had the Dell LCD front and center and I had mounted a LCD arm to hold the 19" Viewsonic just slightly behind and to the right of the Dell LCD. I really loved this setup since I usually gamed on the 24" LCD and I had the 19" (2nd system) showing a TV program, browsing the web, or whatever. Now that I've got this huge 37" LCD to deal with, I'm not sure how to arrange things. Currently I still have it like I showed in the earlier pic (Dell front and center, Viewsonic slightly behind and to the right, and the 37" Westy to the right -- on the side of me). I've basically been still gaming on the Dell LCD and just watching DVDs and HDTV on the Westy. I did try HL2 Lost Coast and Quake 4 on the Westy briefly last night and it looks great! It's hard not to love high res gaming on such a large screen especially when I'm sitting just 2-3 ft from it. The impact is huge and it makes me not quite as satisfied when returning to the Dell LCD.

I've been thinking about getting rid of my 32" Sony TV (standard def and it's old) and making the Westy coupled with my 2nd system as my main TV/entertainment center. The problem with that (besides the instability of the MMC software) is that I can see myself wanting to game on it quite a bit. If I start doing that a lot, I'd rather have my SLI system connected to it since it handles the resolution better.

I have a regular xbox ready to try on it. I didn't get to it last night but I'm not expecting much. I tried that with the Dell 24" LCD and was pretty disappointed how the xbox looked on a high res LCD when you're sitting right in front of it. I'll try to spend a little more time with that on the Westy to see if I can get it to look better (or see how far I need to sit away from it for it to look good). I also want to try my regular VCR/DVD recorder with it to see how that looks. I've been using my 2nd system (the ATI one) with it exclusively so far.

So, I don't know what to do. I'll try to give more impressions of the Westy soon and list the things I like and don't like. Maybe going through that process, it'll help me decide how to arrange things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
One thing I've discovered is that AA is more important to use with displays like these big TVs that don't have the same pixel density as the smaller screens.

OWA I keep my backlight at 0 and my brightness turned down a notch or two. I'll try to remember and post the exact settings I'm using.

Another thing to consider: whites and brighter colors will seem more overpowering simply due to the vastly increased luminosity of a much much larger display. So to a degree we should expect that sort of thing.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense.
Old 02-15-06, 09:05 AM   #840
Riptide

lol

So hard to find a happy medium isn't it? Choices choices to many choices..