Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-17-06, 12:03 AM   #853
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick
Default Re: NVNews Widescreen LCD Club (formally DELL thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
If possible, get teh 32".

I've been working over it with the brand manager and its a pretty good set. Much better than the older 30" and its a true 16:9.

The 26" is not bad but there is a replacement model coming out around the time the newer monitors are released (which means anytime from about april through till end of year )
Note 1:
Dell just raised their price on all models...those bastards!

Second, the cost for the 26" is really streching it, and the 32" is way out there for me. Unless they would give me credit, witch im sure they wont.

But if i really wanted the 32" i could sell a gtx but i have a few questons about it. Since it ends in 01 while the others end in 06 is it really that old of a model? Becuase then i feel the panel technology is probly better on the 26". Have you seen the iq on both and maybe can tell me?

Next, though i do like the hdmi ports id still end up useing a dvi to hdmi cable witch is pritty dam expensive unless i can find a cheep one or adaptor etc.

Now, the built in ATSC tuner is a great deal, definatly cheepr than if i bought the 26" and then bought a external tuner. However, I kinda was thinking of buying a pci ATSC tuner (200 max) and then seeing if i can get programming off of that. Honestly im not even sure what kinid of signal strength i can get out here. Im thinking ill use it mostly for downloaded content (pirate)

Also, and this is really only a half issue, somehow the weight on the unit is 20lbs over the 26", i probly wont move it more than two times but still i question its portability.
Old 02-17-06, 12:26 AM   #854
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirplayalot
Decided to go for a Sceptre x20 Naga III 20.1".

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/1245/desk19ur.jpg (dont make fun of my speaker setup )

Great monitor! I did get a pre-fixed version of this monitor (no issues with refresh rates and stuff that required the firmware upgrade).

This is my first Widescreen LCD (Or LCD really for that matter).
I bought my first LCD last Friday and it was a Sceptre as well. It's not widescreen, but man, what a difference over my Dell CRT. Anyways, guess I can't be part of the "Widescreen Club", but at least I have a LCD now. I got the Sceptre X9G-NagaV at Sam's Wholesale Club for $279. 8ms response, max res @ 1280x1024, which is what it is set at and so are all my games. Absolutely no blurring what so ever. Man, I love this thing. Definately helps my Photoshop'ing and not to mention my bad eyesight...I can actually read the text now! LOL No pics yet, but here's a link to the specs of it...

http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/...c_x9gNagaV.htm

Hmmm, I just noticed that it lists 75hz for all the resolutions, but if I have the Hide Modes This Monitor Can Not Display checked, it only gives me the option of 60Hz, but if I uncheck it, then it lists 60 and 75. So, I selected 75. Seems to be okay. Weird. Plus, when I first installed it, Windows XP just found it as a Plug and Play monitor. I actually had to download the updated .inf file from their site for the name to show up under Display. Can't wait to see my new rig this weekend on it! I'm stoked!

EDIT: Nevermind on the Refresh Rate thing. Had to put back the check mark and of course select the 60Hz. After reading the manual, I guess LCD's only operate at that rate, right? Doesn't appear I can change from 60Hz on any resolution, that I'm aware of. Like I said, my first LCD.

Last edited by SLippe; 02-17-06 at 12:58 AM.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 12:52 AM   #855
911medic
Is it football season yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick
Next, though i do like the hdmi ports id still end up useing a dvi to hdmi cable witch is pritty dam expensive unless i can find a cheep one or adaptor etc.
There are relatively cheap DVI-HDMI adapters out there.

Since it's a digital signal, you don't need the super-duper name brand deluxe ones. Either the signal's there, or it's not.
E4300 @ 3GHz (lapped) || Tuniq Tower 120 (lapped) || Gigabyte EP45-UD3L || eVGA 8800GTS 640MB @ 648/1512/999 || 6GB DDR2-800 @ 5-5-5-15|| 74GB Raptor || 80GB Caviar || 250GB WD || Corsair HX520W || Samsung 225BW 22" LCD (1680x1050) || X-Fi XtremeGamer || Win7 RC x64 || Antec SX1040BII Server Tower || Altec-Lansing ATP3 Speakers
No comprehension to fail; I vacuum the wind for my sail
Can't be the rest; Let others waste my time?
Owning success is the bottom line

911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 01:26 AM   #856
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic
There are relatively cheap DVI-HDMI adapters out there.

Since it's a digital signal, you don't need the super-duper name brand deluxe ones. Either the signal's there, or it's not.
Hmm, hdmi issue turned non-issue. Still wondering about price and size. For the room/apartment size im looking at 32" may be on the 'big' size.
Old 02-17-06, 09:16 AM   #857
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
I was looking at the 42". Is it a problem with all of them or was it just the 37".
You should be fine. Only the 37" model AFAIK.
Quote:
Speaking of 37 inchers though, does your Westinghouse sometimes make a buzzing noise?
Funny you mention that because now that I replaced my power supply and things are quiet again I noticed it myself. It is much worse when you first power the display on and over time it quiets down although it is always there to a small degree. It's a complaint I've read about on avsforums as well so no it isn't just you and me. If you're real picky about such things it might drive you nuts. I don't think it's going to push me into a return or rather an exchange at this point because mine (other than a small bit of backlight bleed in the corners) is perfect.

I'd let it sit for about half an hour and get fully warmed up. If it still does it to the point you can't stand it - return it for a refund while you still can.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 10:59 AM   #858
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
You should be fine. Only the 37" model AFAIK.
Funny you mention that because now that I replaced my power supply and things are quiet again I noticed it myself. It is much worse when you first power the display on and over time it quiets down although it is always there to a small degree. It's a complaint I've read about on avsforums as well so no it isn't just you and me. If you're real picky about such things it might drive you nuts. I don't think it's going to push me into a return or rather an exchange at this point because mine (other than a small bit of backlight bleed in the corners) is perfect.

I'd let it sit for about half an hour and get fully warmed up. If it still does it to the point you can't stand it - return it for a refund while you still can.
I guess I hadn't noticed it before b/c I wear headphones almost all the time. It was just after I turned it on and started watching a DVD at low volume that I noticed it (for once not wearing headphones). Later, I checked it again and it was fine so it does indeed seem to mostly go away after it warms up. It's actually good that it's something others experience. If it had been just mine, I'd probably feel compelled to take it back and I hate returning things.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 11:11 AM   #859
Riptide

In my case it never *completely* goes away but it's low enough such that the brain tends to tune it out. Basically it's a cheap power supply problem. If you sit back on a couch and you know, actually use it as a TV, you'd never ever notice it. I've seen this sort of thing before, with the Dell 2000FP.

They never can just make this computer stuff PERFECT can they? lol

You'll notice that some people are pickier than others and that the whine seems worse for some people than others. Check out these snippets from AVSFORUMS.
Quote:
I spoke to Westinghouse support about a high-pitched buzzing that was coming from the monitor. It was loud enough that I could hear it from 9 feet away when the volume was low. The noise was definitely coming from the panel and not the speakers. Westinghouse had me ship it to a company in NY that repairs their products. I called a couple days ago and the company said there was nothing wrong with the set and they were shipping it back to me. I spoke yesterday with the technician that worked on it. He said that it is common for LCD monitors to have a humming or buzzing noise. He also said that he had other co-workers listen as well and that they didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. I really didn't have any way of arguing with him, so I'm getting the set back as is. This is my first LCD monitor so I have nothing to compare it to and don't know what to expect from it. Does the advice from the technician sound accurate? He seemed to imply that the cheaper LCD sets have cheaper parts so they tend to be more likely to have noise, which is common with LCDs?
Quote:
I've gone through 3 units - the first two DID NOT have the buzzing problem, the third has it, at least to the degree you mention (audible when volumes are low to moderate). It varies dependent on the picture and the backlight setting. It's very annoying, and I'm not going to keep this unit because of that, and I suggest you don't either. Our old 27" CRT had a high-pitched whine which dogs and my (younger) wife could hear, but it wasn't nearly as annoying as this. I'd believe it possible that the technicians didn't hear your problem, either due to mechanical jostling during shipping, or because of the program material they were playing or because their "lab" is too noisy to begin with. However, if they're "in the loop" with Westinghouse, or they're honest, they should have been able to comment on the problem - is there a known fix for it, or do they have to swap out your unit? Westinghouse has to be aware of this.
Other than that tiny bit of whine that never seems to go away the only other real complaint I have is the corner bleed. It is bad when it first gets turned on and if you keep your backlight turned up. It never totally goes away and I've noticed that if you aren't viewing the display from dead center on it seems to be worse.

Like I said... nothing ever seems to be perfect. lol
Never had a single completely perfect display yet.
Old 02-17-06, 11:56 AM   #860
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
In my case it never *completely* goes away but it's low enough such that the brain tends to tune it out. Basically it's a cheap power supply problem. If you sit back on a couch and you know, actually use it as a TV, you'd never ever notice it. I've seen this sort of thing before, with the Dell 2000FP.

They never can just make this computer stuff PERFECT can they? lol

You'll notice that some people are pickier than others and that the whine seems worse for some people than others. Check out these snippets from AVSFORUMS.

Other than that tiny bit of whine that never seems to go away the only other real complaint I have is the corner bleed. It is bad when it first gets turned on and if you keep your backlight turned up. It never totally goes away and I've noticed that if you aren't viewing the display from dead center on it seems to be worse.

Like I said... nothing ever seems to be perfect. lol
Never had a single completely perfect display yet.
A few things.

Mine sounded a lot like the guy's in the first quote when it was at its worst. I could hear it from around 6 ft or so away at low volumes. But, mine seems to vary. When just turning it on and using it as a computer monitor just now, a faint buzzing is there but I can't hear it from the 2-3 ft I sit from it. When it was bad, I had just turned on the monitor and immediately started playing a DVD (through the computer) on it. I was also using the built-in speakers so maybe that contributes to it as well. Mostly I've had the volume at 0 and haven't had the audio inputs even connected since I usually use headphones attached to a soundcard for the audio.

So far, most of my monitors have made a slight noise. I had a high pitched noise that developed over time on a couple of Sony CRTs. Most of the time not annoying but occasionally it made me want to give the monitor a good whack (that sometimes actually seemed to help). Same with my Sony TV. Over the years, it developed a high pitched noise as well but in recent years, it stopped (it's old -- like 10+ years old). The Dell 24" LCD makes a faint buzzing noise but I have to get my ear right up to it (from the back side of it) to hear it. Occasionally, it seems to get a little louder (I've noticed it a couple of times when running cables or working behind it -- other times, I can't notice it at all and I've never noticed it when facing it).

Anyway, as long as I can't hear it when facing the monitors and can't hear it over the other noise in the area, it's fine. The one bad moment of buzzing from the Westy wouldn't be acceptable if it was that way consistently especially since I sit pretty close to it. An occasional loud buzz that goes away when warmed up I guess doesn't bother me too much. Not enough to take it back or anything.

Old 02-17-06, 12:22 PM   #861
Riptide

Yes mine is also very bad when first turned on. Very loud whine for the first minute or so of operation and it slowly falls off from there to the point it's *almost* inaudible.

Seeing as it has no dead pixels that I've found so far and the backlight is nearly uniform then I'm probably not going to bother exchanging it and playing that game.

BTW backlight settings have an effect on this issue. Having it set at around 40 supposedly gets rid of it entirely except during that initial startup. For me though I hate the brightness of the thing at that setting so I'm just going to keep it at 0 and deal with the tiny bit of whine I can hear.
Old 02-17-06, 12:44 PM   #862
OWA

Hmm, maybe that's why mine isn't doing it now and it's not using the speakers that affects it. I did play around with my backlight last night and I believe I left it on 40. If so, what a stroke of luck that was. Actually, nope, I left it on 30.
Old 02-17-06, 01:01 PM   #863
Riptide

At night with the lights off anything more than 0 burns my retinas out.

Plus the bleed becomes more of an issue with the backlight turned up. At least on my display.

Aren't monitors fascinating? CRTs and LCDs for that matter. They are almost like people - no two are exactly alike. Hell these things come off the same assembly line but there is almost always some differentiation, no matter how tiny, between each individaul.
Old 02-17-06, 02:41 PM   #864
ynnek

my gateway widescreen lcd makes some noise.. but it completely goes away if you bump the brightness up, above the 90 level.

CRT or LCD, its not good to use them with the lights turned off.. Especially with LCD's since they are so bright!

Oh yea, I had a sepctre x20 naga iii before.. Besides the refresh problem, I didn't like how text looked on it, wasn't as sharp as it could be.. especially black text on a grey background. I returned it.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote