Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-21-06, 11:23 PM   #889
OWA

Default Re: NVNews Widescreen LCD Club (formally DELL thread)

Ah, okay. Thanks for the response. I thought with ghosting, it would disappear on its own but if it does take another image or something in the same area to make it disappear, then ghosting is probably what I saw as well.

Anyway, it looks like my buzzing is back. It has been quiet for the whole evening not to mention the last few days and just now started buzzing again. Eh, just stopped. Very strange. It must just be a random occurrence b/c nothing has changed. It's making me a little nervous though.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 08:17 AM   #890
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
Any of you with a 2005FPW experience this?

http://www.widescreengamer.com/artic...l_2005fpw.html
I've never seen that effect. But then I never let mine (or any LCD yet) sit on with a static image for hours and hours with no screensaver running.

I have heard that if stuff like that happens if you blank the screen for long enough it will eventually dissipate. Not sure if that's true because I never had to put it to the test.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 08:19 AM   #891
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Anyway, it looks like my buzzing is back. It has been quiet for the whole evening not to mention the last few days and just now started buzzing again. Eh, just stopped. Very strange. It must just be a random occurrence b/c nothing has changed. It's making me a little nervous though.
If I were you... I would return it for a refund then. Because the slight whine mine produces does not ever totally go away. I can't hear it except when the room is silent (no movie playing, game running, music, etc.). But if that noise is a dealbreaker for you - I wouldn't waste any more of my time dude. If you end up past the return period then you'll have to do exchanges and possibly multiples before you find one that doesn't do that to one degree or another.

This monitor is a good value - but it's not perfect. And Westinghouse apparently used cheap power supplies. In their defense - they aren't the only ones. Even Dell is guilty of that at one point or another (ala 2000FP).
Old 02-22-06, 08:36 AM   #892
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
Any of you with a 2005FPW experience this?

http://www.widescreengamer.com/artic...l_2005fpw.html
Wow, that looks terrible

Never had anything like that on mine, but I have my power-settings to auto-off within 3 mins.

-edit-

Even though the panels are identical to the Apple 20" WS, as others have said, internal components are different, including power so that could potentially explain it. Or else that guy just got an el-crappo panel.

Last edited by Sazar; 02-22-06 at 08:46 AM.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 08:38 AM   #893
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I haven't seen it on mine either, but I always manually shut down the display when I'm not using it.

I think I may have to start using a screensaver for times when I'm doing laundry, taking a shower, etc.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 08:50 AM   #894
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

I would not use a screen-saver if possible. Turning it off is a great idea, I simply set it in my profile to put it in standby when I am using it. That way the monitor simply powers down

When I go to bed at night, I turn off the monitor manually then.
Old 02-22-06, 09:08 AM   #895
Riptide

I don't like the warmup periods, even if it is just 10 minutes or so. I turn mine off at night and on when I get home from work. But it never goes into standby.
Old 02-22-06, 09:10 AM   #896
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

When I am at my system, it very rarely goes into standby

I usually have either a game or a media player in the background so the monitor never goes into standby

The system itself is always on.

Old 02-22-06, 09:25 AM   #897
DaveChambers
nVidiot!

Owa, thats a nice setup you got there. Heres a few pics and info on a similiar setup that I have

The cables arent always like that, I have it pulled away from the wall a tad so the Cox guy can have access to it when he comes to set a few things up.

The TV is Samsungs 46" DLP, and below is my Sager 9880.

I am really impressed with the HD Programming on this TV, it was definately worth the money.

As far as gaming, I've only really run World of Warcraft on this TV, but it played great (especially since its supports widescreen resolutions )
DaveChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 09:50 AM   #898
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

so, since i now have a widescreen notebok, do i get to be a part of the nvnews widescreen lcd club?
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 12:22 PM   #899
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChambers
Owa, thats a nice setup you got there. Heres a few pics and info on a similiar setup that I have

The TV is Samsungs 46" DLP, and below is my Sager 9880.

I am really impressed with the HD Programming on this TV, it was definately worth the money.

As far as gaming, I've only really run World of Warcraft on this TV, but it played great (especially since its supports widescreen resolutions )
Yeah, that looks an awesome setup. I think you'd better watch out or Mike is going to take it over.

Can you take a pic of the inputs or list them (or maybe it's just easier to provide a link to the TV). I'm basically wondering if the TV or the Cox box provide connections so you can receive OTA HD content plus HD content through Cox at the same time? That is, can you have an antenna and the Cox set-top box connected at the same time or is it one or the other?
Old 02-22-06, 12:30 PM   #900
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
If I were you... I would return it for a refund then. Because the slight whine mine produces does not ever totally go away. I can't hear it except when the room is silent (no movie playing, game running, music, etc.).
I hate to take it back since I spent all weekend rearranging and redoing all the closets so I could keep the huge box. The noise isn't an issue 95% of the time even when just turning it on. It's the 5% that worries me though. At random, it just seems to develop a "louder" buzz (like fluorescent lights when they're going bad) that lasts a few minutes and then goes away. What I'm worried about is that it'll eventually stay at the louder buzz level for good. Makes me wonder if something is going bad since it doesn't seem to be something consistent like most have mentioned.