Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-16-03, 10:07 AM   #1
Jack

Default Debian 3.0 + nVidia drivers

Hi,
I'm using Debian Linux 3.0 and I wonder how to get and install the latest drivers for my system, an easy way would be good, because I'm not a very experienced user.

System Information:
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1,4 GHZ
nVidia GeForce 2 Pro
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-03, 10:56 AM   #2
gnalle

Send a message via ICQ to gnalle Send a message via Yahoo to gnalle
Smile

I used the instructions from the following help site in danish. I don't have time to translate it, but you may use it as a starting point for a google search

http://debianguiden.dk/dists/stable/...arts-ting.html
gnalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-03, 11:59 AM   #3
bwkaz

Basically, what that Danish page amounts to (and no, I can't read Danish either, but I think I can glark it from the commands) is, you apt-get install kernel-headers-$(uname -r) to install the proper kernel source files, then symlink (with the ln -s command they give) the header directory to /usr/src/linux, then grab the nVidia tarballs and use them.

I believe, though, that you can apt-get a package named something like nvidia_kernel_src or something, that's the equivalent of the kernel tarball, and then nvidia_glx_src or something, that's the equivalent of the GLX tarball. I don't know for sure if the names are right, or if the packages even still exist, but it might be worth a look.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-03, 08:04 PM   #4
MonkeyNinja

Heres how I used to do it on my old box (Debian 3.0 on a 500mhz p3 512ram Gforce1)

first of all make sure a kernel-source-2.4.*, kernel-package, x-window-system, wget, make and gcc are installed

next up apt-get install nvidia-kernel-src (this pulls the glx package along with it)

After the deb packs are in youll find (in /usr/src) a folder for GLX and a tgz file for the kernel, "tar -zxvf" the kernel file, then enter your "linux" symlink (if one is not there make one) and run "make-kpkg modules_image" go back to your /usr/src and run "dpkg -i nvidia-kernelsumpin" that installs the kernel binary.

For GLX enter the glx folder and run "dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc" this should make a glx deb package in /usr/src which you can then install by running "dpkg -i nvidia-glx-thingy" on it.

Im writing this from memory so dont even try to copy-paste it to your console

Finally check out /usr/share/doc/nvidiasomething for a longer version of the info I just posted
MonkeyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-03, 07:00 AM   #5
mrsclaudio

Default Gforce 4 MX 440

I have X working fine, but my problem is, sometimes, randomly, the system crashes when I switch from X to console, or back... Can someone give me a hint how to fix this??
I'm using
P4 1,7
Intel Mboard
Creative's GForce 4MX
Debian 3.0
Kernel 2.4.20
drivers 4191
mrsclaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-03, 12:01 AM   #6
highonhelium

I am also trying to get the nvidia drivers to work on debian. I am running kernel 2.4.20-686 that I installed via apt-get. I have tried the .deb packages for the nvidia drivers and I have tried installing the tarballs. The deb packages try to install the 3123 version of the drivers. The install script craps out at this point:

Setting up nvidia-kernel-2.4.20-686 (1.0.3123-3+) ...
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-686/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-686/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o

So evidently it is able to build the deb package needed to finish the install, but is not able to install it.

The tarball files on the other hand crap out with a makefile error 255 or something like that.

I have the kernel headers installed and a link set up like this:

ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-XXXX /usr/src/linux

If anyone can help me it would be great.

Thanks,

highonhelium
highonhelium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-03, 04:10 AM   #7
anar

I am currently writing a small guide how to install Debian on my laptop. Maybe you want to have a look at the X section:

http://www.StephanWehrheim.de/comput...ebian30.html#X
anar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-03, 04:56 AM   #8
KarlArschus

Default Re: Gforce 4 MX 440

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsclaudio
I have X working fine, but my problem is, sometimes, randomly, the system crashes when I switch from X to console, or back... Can someone give me a hint how to fix this??
I'm using
P4 1,7
Intel Mboard
Creative's GForce 4MX
Debian 3.0
Kernel 2.4.20
drivers 4191
Are you using the framebuffer on the console? If so, switch it off and try again. I had the same effect on my maschine and this solved the problem

To switch framebuffer mode off edit
/etc/lilo.conf
set vga to normal, extended, ask, or <mode> [note: you can see all available <mode>s by using ask]
run lilo and reboot

This should help ...
KarlArschus is offline   Reply With Quote