Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-16-06, 02:26 AM   #1
dnult

Default Choosing an nvidia card for mythtv

I've decided to turn my Linux machine into a MythTV box, but I've got some upgrading to do. One of the big issues is the video card.

I've spent quite a bit of time surfing the nvidia web looking for key features. It would be much easier if they had a product selection guide. I've also spent some time here researching some of the issues folks are having. I'm thinking that a card which supports purevideo would be a good thing (though I don't know that it will work with Linux). Seems that the 6x00 and FX cards are where I should focus my attention.

I'm looking for HDTV output to my Mitsubishi 55" via a DVI connector. I'm a bit concerned about the 6600 cards - seems there are lots of complaints about them. However, it also seems some progress has been made since the first of the year. I expect I'll stick with PCI, since PCI-X is not supported by my MoBo.

What nvidia cards fill the bill for HD-1080 via a DVI connector, PCI, quiet operation, and other frills (purevideo?) which will make this venture a plesant one.
dnult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 11:09 PM   #2
dnult

Default Re: Choosing an nvidia card for mythtv

Must have been something I said.
Old 01-18-06, 12:37 AM   #3
misterflibble

I think the 5xxx series are actually a better fit for mythtv. Newer cards are only faster for 3D really, (which doesn't really help mythtv). Hardware mpeg 2 decoding for nvidia cards is done with XvMC (like purevideo), and it works well on any card 4xxx series or up. Actually, the 6xxx series apparently doesn't support hardware video overlay as well as older cards (http://www.linuxis.us/linux/media/ho...tpc/video.html) so why waste more money on a card that's not as well supported?

Personally I use the 5200: you can get a quiet one with a heatsink instead of a fan and with DVI, S-video and VGA outputs, pci or agp. It's quite capable of 1080i and 720p (although I use it over VGA to a component adapter, never tried my DVI).

A few words of caution though: XvMC can be a pain with mythtv although it looks like its being improved. It can be simpler to just get a good fast 3 gHz processor to decode the mpegs and not push it onto the graphics card. Also, I've found it easier to send the tv a 720p signal (even though it's supposed to be a native 1080i set) because there's no trouble over interlacing and flickery menus, not to mention less of a strain on my hardware (but I don't have any hdtv programs yet, just analog tv and dvds upsampled to hd resolutions). If you are trying 1080i, make sure to use the 1.0-8xxx series drivers because older ones had a bug that resulted in a really messed up "split screen" effect. Hope some of this helps
misterflibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-06, 01:02 AM   #4
ricercar
fugue master

I use a Gainward 5200 agp and pci in my MythTV boxes. No fans. No ambient noise from the MythTV box except the drives ... and boy is the optical loud..
Old 01-18-06, 10:28 AM   #5
jay_cee

One word of warning - The FX5200 cannot do 1920x1080 over DVI. I discovered that the hard way.
jay_cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-06, 07:25 PM   #6
dnult

I may already have the parts I need to get started - just have to shuffle video cards around between systems. Hopefully my HD3000 tuner card will show up on my door step tomorrow. Thanks for the tips. You have been helpful and encouraging.