Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-12-02, 08:04 AM   #13
8ender

I hear you on the warcraft 3 thing, that game looks splendid on my LCD at native resolution.

See, my panel claims 25ms as well but ghosts slightly in quake 3 and FPS games as well. I kind of like it though, its like a hardware based motion blur effect.

You get used to it and after a while, it actaully easier for me to spot moving objects because they ghost more than the background.

----
edit:

Also, any FPS involving sniping is wicked on a flat panel as per the background stays sharp and any movement is really easy to spot by the ghosting. Sniping in CS has never been better.
Old 08-12-02, 08:11 AM   #14
TF4

Default SAMSUNG 181T

I have been using the 181T for about 4 months. I play every game on it, SOFII, Quake III, JK2 etc. It is fast enough for me and I don't notice "ghosting" If there is ghosting maybe I don't know what it is or realize. I replaced my Sony 19" G400 with this LCD and will never go back!
TF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-02, 08:16 AM   #15
Fawzib

Default Re: Viewsonic VX900

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Homer
I was in the same exact spot as you Typedef Enum. I had a nice monitor (sony fw900 24') but the 16:9 resolution left 99% of my games all stretched out weird cause there are very few playable HD resolutions. So I researched for about 2 weeks non stop about a large flat screen lcd. I decided on the viewsonic VX-900. The specs rate it at a >20ms response time. Superclear MVA tech is supposed to be the reason for that. I recieved the monitor with ZERO dead pixels! Yeah! From newegg.com. The ghosting is not very noticable at all playing urban terror and such. THe colors are SO much more vibrant than my lcd. Also, the contrast ratio is VERY imporatant. Mine is like 550:1 i believe. The blacks are very black and white are perfectly white. Quite nice. 19inch also, so im equiv to a 21inch almost with a so much smaller footprint. Using DVI is very important also. Dont get an lcd w/o DVI out on your vid card and in on the monitor. Price was about 1100.00 i believe. I would give this monitor 9/10 stars. Love it!
I got the exact same monitor and I don't have any ghosting problems. I have tested it with Serious Sam 2, Neverwinter Nights, and Jedi Outcast (looks awesome). Also the max resolution is 1280x1024 so is not that bad. The colors are incredibly vivid, the change in how the image looked from CRT to LCD was amazing. I'm really happy with it.
Fawzib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-02, 08:31 AM   #16
8ender

some people notice ghosting, some people dont.

Its somewhat like the 60hz vs. 75hz refresh rate issue. Some people can see the flickering at 60hz and it drives them nuts (me) some people dont notice the difference.

Likewise, some peoples eyes are better attuned to slight variations in picture (ghosting, flickering, framerate) and can see the ghosting.

Its like my friend, who claims there is a noticable difference in "smoothness" between 30fps and 60fps.
Old 08-12-02, 09:33 AM   #17
ManicDVLN

LCDs are excellent when they're from Samsung. I say this not because I have bias towards other LCDs, it's simply on experience.

The best LCD bargain you can get right now is a Samsung 170T, I have one, and it's trurly worth it, especially if you have a DVI output gfx card, cause digital is the only way to go with LCDs.

The most important specs you should look for an LCD is it's access time cause that's the only thing that really matters in gaming so you wont get any ghosting or flickering.

Second thing to look at is the native resolution of the LCD with its maximum refresh rate. Best being 85hz at native res of 1280x1200.

Third is the viewing angle, how far of an angle can you look at the LCD without being wiped out of smudged and blunt colors. This really depends on the quality of the LCD and it's internal technology. Best being 170 degrees +

Go with Samsung, they are the king in LCDs. Canada #1!!!

Last edited by Matthyahuw; 08-12-02 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-12-02, 09:41 AM   #18
pelly

Evidently, someone here has never even seen an Aplle Cinema Display...If they had, they would know that the picture quality is absolutely stunning...The only downfall to these monitors is their response time which makes them a very bad choice for gaming...as such, the best choice is the top-end Dell...

For any other application, I'm sure the Cinema Display and the top-end Dell would be at the top of my list...

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-02, 09:44 AM   #19
Matt

Quote:
Originally posted by sh*tshot

When buying a LCD look out for two Things that are a must

1) What's the Refresh rate
2) DVI Connection
LCD monitors don't even have a refresh rate, so you won't be able to tell the difference between 60hz and 85hz on one. Since LCD operate without flicker, this means no more eye strain from extensive use.

Things you do want to look for in a LCD (in order of priority) are:

1) Pixel Response Time (Lower is better)
2) Contrast Ratio (Higher is better)
3) Brightness (Higher is better)
4) Horizontal/Vertical Viewing Angles (Higher is better)

Those are the four most important. The rest are optionals, budget, and personal preferences. An ideal pixel response time for gamers is 25ms or lower. Contrast ratio should be 350:1 or higher, and Brightness should be no lower than 250cd/m.

I agree with a previous comment made here, in that you really have to adjust the gamma, brightness, and colors to get it just right with actual colors being displayed. I suggest using a program like Colorific/3Deep.

I've been using a Cornea Systems MP704 17" LCD monitor for a couple months now. Suffice to say, I couldn't go back to a CRT monitor. It's great for everyday use, looks great, works great, plays great in games. Mine has a pixel response time of 25ms, contrast ratio of 400:1 and brightness at 250cd/m. I paid $499 for it. Here's a shot of the monitor on my desk:

Old 08-12-02, 09:54 AM   #20
Matt

I agree with Pelly on the Apple Cinema, while the response time isn't on par with what's out now, it is still a very excellent LCD monitor. It ranks right up there with SGI's old LCD monitor, both excelling at image quality, features, and solid viewing angles considering the age of the tech. I've seen one in action before at a friend's house, and I had to pick my jaw off the floor after seeing one.

Old 08-12-02, 10:00 AM   #21
8ender

yeah, the apple screens are designed for apples biggest markets. digital artistry.

To compare them to other panels in response time would be unfair. Apple designed these panels to be perfect for static and slow moving images.

They were not designed for gaming.
Old 08-12-02, 10:39 AM   #22
ManicDVLN

Thumbs down

So people who going to make digital movies will render animation on 60ms access time? I have seen the display many times, but i am not one of those people who gazes at the size like a deer stunned by the glare of a comming truck on the highway. I am not impressed by it's looks nor it's features by it's hefty price tag.

Last edited by Matthyahuw; 08-12-02 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-12-02, 10:43 AM   #23
Cereal-Killer

Just like ManicDVLN, I own the Samsung 170t (25ms, DVI). I bought it after reading the review on EnvyNews. There is no ghosting in any of the FPS I play, and even though my 19" CRT had a slight edge when it comes to gaming, it's not nearly enough to make me go back...
Cereal-Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-02, 10:56 AM   #24
Typedef Enum

I bought the Apple LCD simply because I wanted to see it in action. Money wasn't/isn't an issue, and that was pretty much the bottom line. I _knew_ going in that the displays, themselves, would be dated, but needed to see it for myself.

I grabbed it from Frye's, and they have a 30-day return policy...Guess what's going back the moment I receive the Dell?

The only way, IMHO, to really get a good feel for the current crop of LCD's is to take one home and give it a whirl. At this point in time, there simply is a general lack of solid reviews...Therefore, the only thing you can really do is get a feel from actual users.
Even then, you will see differences of opinion on similar panels.

Person1: "The Samsung 210T is the best display I've ever seen! Gaming has never been better"

Person2: "I was terribly dissapointed with the Samsung 210T. For gaming, it just didn't cut the mustard."

Last edited by Matthyahuw; 08-12-02 at 12:06 PM.
Typedef Enum is offline   Reply With Quote