Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-12-02, 11:44 AM   #25
8ender

good luck with the dell, still, the apple displays have they're place in the market.

I use apple LCD's at work and they cant be beat for 2D quality.

Lemme know how the dell goes, I might be picking one up.
Old 08-12-02, 12:59 PM   #26
ManicDVLN

Thumbs down This forum sucks

Somoene deleted one of my posts, well screw this forum then... I don't like gestapos censoring opinion.
Old 08-12-02, 01:03 PM   #27
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

Sorry, that wasn't opinion, that was flaming, and personal attacking...
Constructive discussion is your friend!
Old 08-12-02, 01:04 PM   #28
pelly

As we all know, ignorant rants and flames will not be tolerated. Lucky for us, we have some muscle behind the scenes who take care of such useless posts.

Thanks guys!

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-02, 01:43 PM   #29
8ender

in case you havent noticed, this forum is not a democracy. Any posts, like yours, that are simply insulting for no good reason will be deleted.

I believe I'm speaking for the Mods here when I say that your posts were simply asking to be deleted.

____

On the subject of monitors again, has anyone else had experience with the FuturePower Power17 LCD?

I've had it for 3 weeks now and I'm enjoying it immensely. It seems, from my research, and contrary to what I posted above, that its actually a rebaged Hyundai ImageQuest L70A.

For the price I bought it for, this is a fantastic deal. The panel features 25ms refresh and a host of other features for about 900CDN$.
Old 08-12-02, 06:52 PM   #30
NeilY
EN Editor

Send a message via ICQ to NeilY

I've been using an Apple 17" Studio LCD (little brother of the 22"/23" Cinema Displays) for over a year now on my Mac. It's by far one of the best LCD's i've ever used on a daily basis, but I don't find it that hot for gaming.

The best display i've used is Samsung's 191T 19". It's crystal clear, damn sharp, awesome for gaming (Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter Nights, Grand Theft Auto III were all started, played, and finished on this display), and plain gorgeous. I should have a review of this display soon - Samsung is going to want it back soon - which is a real shame, as I'd trade just about anything in my office for a chance to keep it.

Another awesome LCD is Samsung's 171P, but I prefer the 191T over it for gaming and day to day use - 1280x1024 on a 17" LCD is constricting at best; 1280x1024 on a 19" LCD is pure bliss. Ti4600 card, and AA/Aniso, all details max'ed - it's like looking at a photograph!

I've used (in some cases for weeks, others for months) Samsung's 170T, a Hitachi 18", ViewSonic VP181, and Apple's 22" Cinema (at my old work - man, Gladiator DVD rocked on that puppy), and overall, they are good, but I'd class these displays as '2nd Gen LCD'. The 191T i'm using now fits into a new '3rd Gen LCD' category with thier high framerate MHz scores, 170-degree viewing angles, 500cdm Brightness, etc. Built for low-energy efficiency, ultra-low heat generation, and image quality all around.

I've reviewed a ton of LCDs, and I own a couple (17" Apple, Samsung 151MP HDTV-LCD), but by far the best for gaming, surfing, staring at for 20 hrs solid is Samsung's 181T/191T family. I haven't tried their 210T or 240T yet, but I believe these came out prior to the 18/191T's, and may not be as good overall. Plus, they're dang expensive.

Neil Yates
Managing Editor, Envy News
http://www.envynews.com/
NeilY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-02, 07:26 PM   #31
Typedef Enum

Neil,

I was going to send you an email on the general topic of LCD's, as I've had a chance to check out your reviews.

I cannot tell you how torn I was in trying to make this decision! It's amazing how many times I changed my mind, given the lack of reliable information.

I _really_ wanted to go for the Samsung displays, but all the comments regarding the FP2000 did it for me. I read a ton of them over @ ArsTechnica, and just about everybody said that it was among the best for gaming.

Personally, I can't wait for the next generation (isn't this always the case? be it video card, CPU, etc.)...My plan is to hang onto this guy for a year or so, until the better displays come out...give it to my g/f, and then upgrade to something even better.
Typedef Enum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-02, 10:43 AM   #32
SteveL
70.....degrees

Talking

I recently purchased a Samsung SyncMaster 181T (18" TFT) and it has become my main monitor.
I have a dual monitor setup and my CRT is starting to gather dust, even though it can manage a higher frame (pixel refresh) rate than my TFT screen, everything about the CRT is dull.
The colours are very washed out (compared to TFT), dull and bland. On the TFT colours are VIBRANT, almost real.

My TFT screen can handle around 45FPS which suits me for gaming just fine. I play Quake III Team Arena religiously and these days ONLY play on the TFT. If I try the CRT I get a headache after playing for about 60 mins and eyestrain becomes a problem too.

If you're thinking about getting a TFT screen, look for a pixel refresh rate of 25ms or lower. Most people seem to think the Contrast Ratio is more important, but, for gaming it doesn't really matter.

LCD Screens are NOT what they used to be, with refresh times down to 25ms or lower, the framerate that an LCD can generate is becoming more acceptable.

Most laptops 6 months old or older will have a pixel refresh rate of around 75-100ms, these can only show frame rates of 10-12 frames per second so they will look ****e in games, but no probs on the desktop.

My own personal experience with 'todays' LCD TFT screens has been more impressive than I ever thought it would be.

I would recommend one to ANYONE, yes even hardcore gamers (just make sure it's new)

The all round experience is SO much more enjoyable than a CRT.

One last thing, with TFT's the old saying 'you get what you pay for' REALLY does apply.

Enjoy !!

Steve
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-02, 02:02 PM   #33
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

If I had $2500 of disposable income to spend on a computer part, there's little question I would get the top of the line Apple Cinema display. The 2D quality is by far the best I have ever seen on any computer display. Colors are rich and vibrant and text is smooth and readable even at small fonts. Gaming isn't all that great, but that's why I have my CRT.

The 15" UXGA TFT on my Dell laptop is excellent. The native 1600x1200 resolution looks great for both 2D and gaming. There is some ghosting in games, but it's not enough to take away from my playing experience. Even gaming at 1280x1024 looks really good, though I wouldn't use that res for any 2D work.

I read an article in a magazine that rated the Dell UXGA screen as one of the best on the market and I can understand why.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-02, 07:37 PM   #34
Typedef Enum

Yeah, I can only cross my fingers that the Dell can match the 2D quality of the Apple display. It really does look that good.

One other thing that _really_ translates well is the TV tuner on the Personal Cinema. I could really maximize that thing on the LCD and it looked pretty darn good. On the CRT, you really had to keep it within a certain size before it started losing definition.
Typedef Enum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-02, 08:18 PM   #35
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

I don't get it. You guys talk about "some ghosting" and the refresh rate being "ok", for a monitor costing three times the amount of an equivalent CRT. Don't you feel ripped off?

CRT technology has been around since before world war II. LCD displays should look better, with a higher refresh rate, no ghosting and be same price as a CRT by now.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 08:01 AM   #36
styles-T
-========-

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveW
I don't get it. You guys talk about "some ghosting" and the refresh rate being "ok", for a monitor costing three times the amount of an equivalent CRT. Don't you feel ripped off?

CRT technology has been around since before world war II. LCD displays should look better, with a higher refresh rate, no ghosting and be same price as a CRT by now.
I totally agree!

Thats why I love my 19' KDS Avitron. The picture and price compared to my old 15' CRT and my brothers LCD is more than sufficient.

Last edited by styles-T; 08-14-02 at 08:15 AM.
styles-T is offline   Reply With Quote