Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-11-06, 08:47 PM   #25
oldsk00l

Default Re: Freespace 2

Now THAT is very nice, I would love to get my hands on a DVD image as oppose to the bunch of CD's.
Old 07-11-06, 11:16 PM   #26
t6_shadow
The all knowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco
I couldn't care less about linearity in games as long as they have a strong storyline with lots and twists and turns as the resulting unpredictability makes it feel a lot less enforced and much more immersive. It's pretty clear that you haven't played it yourself and besides, if less linearity in spacesims meant better games, Freelancer would be a godgame.
As of right now, Independence War 2 appears to have an average reviewscore of 82% while Freelancer has 85% while Freespace 2 has 91% (gamerankings), which just shows that it's not the case. It's not a definitive quality scale, see it more as an indication that your opinion might be rushed or biased. But I guess there are only extremes. Either games pwn og suck.

I think it's incredible that Freespace 2, now 7 years after it's release, still has an active community and it's my impression that most people believe that it is the best spacesim of all time

Freespace 2 is the best sim of all time. There I said it. You all KNOW I'm right. :P.

I don't about angels but its fear that gives men wings.
- Max Payne

Give him a gun and hes superman. Give him two and hes god.
- Superintendent Pang, Hard boiled

The rig that brings the pain:
Intel p4 2.0 Ghz
1024 megs o ram at pc2100
Asus p4sgx-mx mobo
GIGABYTE geforce 6600gt AGP
60 gig ata 100 Hard drive
48X24X48 lite on Burner
DVD rom drive
t6_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 01:09 PM   #27
Sgt_Pitt

Quote:
I couldn't care less about linearity in games as long as they have a strong storyline with lots and twists and turns as the resulting unpredictability makes it feel a lot less enforced and much more immersive. It's pretty clear that you haven't played it yourself and besides, if less linearity in spacesims meant better games, Freelancer would be a godgame.
As of right now, Independence War 2 appears to have an average reviewscore of 82% while Freelancer has 85% while Freespace 2 has 91% (gamerankings), which just shows that it's not the case. It's not a definitive quality scale, see it more as an indication that your opinion might be rushed or biased. But I guess there are only extremes. Either games pwn og suck.

I think it's incredible that Freespace 2, now 7 years after it's release, still has an active community and it's my impression that most people believe that it is the best spacesim of all time

Hang on a minute i think i have my games mixed up.
The one by particle systems independence war 2 was great, and my all time fav after elite.

I actually dont think ive played freespace 2 lol.

The one i watched my dad clock was the microsoft space game called freelancer.

heh btw the SCP forums are a nightmare for a noob like me i cant understand all the revisions and updates, lol i just want the download dagnabbit

Last edited by Sgt_Pitt; 07-12-06 at 01:52 PM.
Sgt_Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 10:50 PM   #28
K007

i freaking loved Freespace 2...i haven't come across any good space sim games after that .
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 01:28 PM   #29
Sgt_Pitt

didnt anyone like Independence war 2 ?
Old 07-13-06, 10:39 PM   #30
oldsk00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Pitt
didnt anyone like Independence war 2 ?
I-War wasn't bad, but it wasn't a Freespace 2. I-War was more of a ship sim, and it had some interesting physics about it. It just didn't seem as fun, and the action wasn't as direct. In FS2 you are more or less embroiled in action and don't have to feel like worrying about running your fighter, just getting dirty and fighting with it.

At least, that's what I felt about the two.
Old 07-13-06, 10:43 PM   #31
oldsk00l

Besides, FS2 was a hell of a lot more fun and more pleasing visually. Given FS2's recent upgrades, I dare say it's the best looking space sim of all time ever, and it doesn't look like it's about to be upstaged. X3 has nothing on it with all the new effects cranked.
Old 07-14-06, 12:50 PM   #32
Sgt_Pitt

for me the best part of Iwar2 was buying and selling stuff to trade with other outposts, also the scavenging of ships and stealing parts to upgrade my own ship was great fun, the story also rocked which took me to all the edges of the universe

i remember waiting at the jump points for unguarded cargo freighters to come through, and attack them till they dropped their cargo, then you call in the janx your buddy the salvager to loot it all up, heh you could even upgrade his ship to carry more loot

I also remebered finding out his mum was a pirate and left him a huge abandoned football shaped space station, which had to be repaired with scavenged loot

does freespace 2 have trading and pirating of ships ? its all about the loot

Iwar2 was by far my fav space game

Old 07-14-06, 05:27 PM   #33
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Pitt
for me the best part of Iwar2 was buying and selling stuff to trade with other outposts, also the scavenging of ships and stealing parts to upgrade my own ship was great fun, the story also rocked which took me to all the edges of the universe

i remember waiting at the jump points for unguarded cargo freighters to come through, and attack them till they dropped their cargo, then you call in the janx your buddy the salvager to loot it all up, heh you could even upgrade his ship to carry more loot

I also remebered finding out his mum was a pirate and left him a huge abandoned football shaped space station, which had to be repaired with scavenged loot

does freespace 2 have trading and pirating of ships ? its all about the loot

Iwar2 was by far my fav space game
No, Freespace is not so much about you being a freelance ace pilot rockin' it out in a free universe full of trading, pirates and so fourth. That is Freelancer for ya. I haven't tried Iwar 2 so honestly I can't tell the difference from Freelancer, but it's not hard to believe that it could be better than Freelancer if you say so. Anyway it's not quite my type of game though I could give a a second chance after the Freelancer disappointment if something similar comes up in the future.

Freespace is more about you being a part of the united earth military, or more accurately the Galactic Terran Alliance or in Freespace 2, the GTVA, Galactic Terran-Vesudan Alliance. You are flying in a alpha wing, changing squads and motherships throughout your career. As you advance through the game, more ships and weapons will become available to you as you progress through up the ranks and new technology is being researched. You get immersed in a single, strong and very well written storyline with a lot of twists and turns and you will really have the feeling of fighting for the survival of not only yourself and your squadmates, but for humanity itself. I have tried quite a lot space sims and none of them had as fluid, straight-on, innovative and successfully implemented combat system as the Freespace series. But let me tell you, the cutscenes, mission briefings, debriefings etc. are at least as good and something you're always looking foward to between the missions. Both Freespace games also feature a somewhat omnipresent soundtrack that really sucks you into the game universe. I think you should try it in spite of your favor towards management and trading
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 08:24 PM   #34
oldsk00l

Quote:
No, Freespace is not so much about you being a freelance ace pilot rockin' it out in a free universe full of trading, pirates and so fourth. That is Freelancer for ya. I haven't tried Iwar 2 so honestly I can't tell the difference from Freelancer, but it's not hard to believe that it could be better than Freelancer if you say so. Anyway it's not quite my type of game though I could give a a second chance after the Freelancer disappointment if something similar comes up in the future.

Freespace is more about you being a part of the united earth military, or more accurately the Galactic Terran Alliance or in Freespace 2, the GTVA, Galactic Terran-Vesudan Alliance. You are flying in a alpha wing, changing squads and motherships throughout your career. As you advance through the game, more ships and weapons will become available to you as you progress through up the ranks and new technology is being researched. You get immersed in a single, strong and very well written storyline with a lot of twists and turns and you will really have the feeling of fighting for the survival of not only yourself and your squadmates, but for humanity itself. I have tried quite a lot space sims and none of them had as fluid, straight-on, innovative and successfully implemented combat system as the Freespace series. But let me tell you, the cutscenes, mission briefings, debriefings etc. are at least as good and something you're always looking foward to between the missions. Both Freespace games also feature a somewhat omnipresent soundtrack that really sucks you into the game universe. I think you should try it in spite of your favor towards management and trading
Plus let's not forget...Freespace's top notch gameplay....retouched with today's graphics. Also another really neat thing are the new music files, same music just higher quality. Also the sound engine has a really good positional aspect to it. These modders have, in my own opinion, produced the Linux kernel of gaming. High quality, fast, high capability, etc.
Old 07-16-06, 10:49 AM   #35
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
Plus let's not forget...Freespace's top notch gameplay....retouched with today's graphics. Also another really neat thing are the new music files, same music just higher quality. Also the sound engine has a really good positional aspect to it. These modders have, in my own opinion, produced the Linux kernel of gaming. High quality, fast, high capability, etc.
Really? I never quite found those groundbreaking graphic update mods you guys are talking about but next time I decide to fire up Freespace again, I'll certainly put more effort in my search
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 02:12 PM   #36
oldsk00l

Quote:
Really? I never quite found those groundbreaking graphic update mods you guys are talking about but next time I decide to fire up Freespace again, I'll certainly put more effort in my search
It went from

To this

If I can grab a screen of the new trail that Psamtik leaves behind, it just makes it all that much more impressive. The old Herc and new interceptor also show pilots in the ****pits and such, with much more detail as well. The new shield effects also resonate with the color of the weapons used, and if you use the option where beams don't penetrate shields...the blue anti-fighter beams hitting a shield looks like something out of independance day. Very cool effects. Also the new subspace effects are simply fantastic, very high resolution wormhole effects with some really cool warping of the shape as they open and close. Watching Colossus subspace in is a treat in of itself. I took some serious beatings simply because I was just watching cap ships jumping in and distracted from the fights. Particularly in the first fight near the knossos portal, when the Orion and the Vasudan cruiser show up at the same time then as the shivan fighters are all subspacing in around you...man... they could just take the gameplay rendering and make it into a nice cutscene.