Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-06, 03:53 PM   #1
killahsin

Default DDO ....wow i didn't think turbine could do it

I totally didn't think turbine could make DDO feel like real D&D. Man after playing that 3 day stress test they totally succeeded. It felt exactly like playing PnP D&D when i was a kid. The crazy amount of dungeons and the hand designed stroyline quests that push you forward were geat. Taking you on abby steps through the D&D world. The traps....the secrets in each dungeon. The way as you level you get more spells and are allowed a set number per level to use in a dungeon. While being able to open higher level ones and still use the lower level ones therefore increasing the total number of spells you have to use ina dungeon. Was really sweet stuff. I am totally picking this one up. It's the first time i felt like i wasn't grinding in a mmo.
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 04:02 PM   #2
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11
Default Re: DDO ....wow i didn't think turbine could do it

Ohh I totally agree. I started late Friday night, and at first I was like this is fun but I'm not totally sold yet. Then come 6 AM Saturday morning, I was hooked. It reminded me so much of the good old days of playing D&D with friends late at night. I had so much, I was really surprised how well Turbine pulled the D&D fealing together. Not to mention the whole looking for group system is amazing. I even met 5 people and we all have our AIM names, and are planning to form a guild come launch! Definetly a must have if your an MMORPG fan, a D&D lover, or both.
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 04:15 PM   #3
superklye

I think the MMO D&D aspect is really cool (D&D based games are still my all-time favorites for PC games), but I really just want to have a good, long single-player game again...like BG2, but with the 3.5 rules and killer graphics.

I'm hoping NWN2 can pull it off...

But on a related note, I'm glad to hear they were able to do the D&D thing well in the MMO setting. I read up about it a month or two ago in PCGamer and it sounded awesome. I just can't justify the monthly fees for MMOs because I usually don't have a lot of time to play because of work and school.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 10:28 PM   #4
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
I think the MMO D&D aspect is really cool (D&D based games are still my all-time favorites for PC games), but I really just want to have a good, long single-player game again...like BG2, but with the 3.5 rules and killer graphics.

I'm hoping NWN2 can pull it off...

But on a related note, I'm glad to hear they were able to do the D&D thing well in the MMO setting. I read up about it a month or two ago in PCGamer and it sounded awesome. I just can't justify the monthly fees for MMOs because I usually don't have a lot of time to play because of work and school.
Yeah I hear you on the time thing for the Monthly fee. It's hard to plop down money each month, and not feel like you have the time to play.
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 11:29 PM   #5
slick
Play with conviction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
but I really just want to have a good, long single-player game again... and killer graphics.
Aka Oblivion.
Old 01-23-06, 09:16 AM   #6
|MaguS|

I don't agree. I think DDO doesn't feel like D&D at all. Sure it has some feel but many key skills and features are just missing. Theres no attack of oppertunities in the game aswell as no flanking both with play a HUGE part in combat. The game also lacks any type of movement control ingeneral, they try to force the player to not move by giving him a -4 to hit if moving during combat but that doesn't exsist in D&D at all, plus the NPCs are not affected by this rule or any PC rule (they have no limit to cast, movement or attacks (arrow counts)).

I have been testing the game for acouple months (in closed beta) and there have been many complaints about much that has been missing in the game. I kept getting BS excuses about flanking (like it would cause too much stress on the servers even though almost every MMO has some form of flanking and they aren't as instanced).

The game is also very shallow, theres no aligenments or dieties coming into play so theres only a single way to play the game.

But after saying all that I can't deny its not fun. I have been having a blast but no matter how much fun I had I cant say it feels like D&D, not one bit. I do love how the dungeons allow for more interaction like traps (though very flawed) and sneaking (flawed aswell) but combat just feels very bad and not at all like D&D.

I do have alot of D&D experiance, I play every week with my roommate and friends, I have been playing for about 7 or so years and my roommate has been playing for about 20+ years (he's older then me).
Old 01-23-06, 09:21 AM   #7
killahsin

and you don't think it feels like d&d at all? More so then every other rpg that has stolen all their ideas from D&D since the late 70s? lol. Because to me it feels more d&dish then even nwn did.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
Old 01-23-06, 09:27 AM   #8
|MaguS|

Since it lacks more rules and adds more none D&D rules then NWN then I don't see how it could feel more like D&D. While every MMO has borrowed something from D&D, this game that is suppose to be D&D does not have the nessecary rules and combat feel that D&D has at all.

I mean a -4 to hit if you move? No AOO if you run by an enemy, get sneaked on, do a special action or use a ranged weapon in melee range. No flanking? That is a HUGE feature that Rogues and ALL groups use in PnP.

Heck the game only has 10 levels AND no prestige classes... even NWN had prestige classes. Oh and you can only rest once in a dungeon, no random encounters if resting and your HP is healed way too much when resting (its 1HP per level).

Im guessing you don't actually play the PnP game since you can't see that.

Old 01-23-06, 09:32 AM   #9
killahsin

Haha I played PnP for almost 20 years. The point isn't it beign exactly d&d. But it feelings LIKE d&d. NwN did not feel like d&d. It felt like Diablo/dungeon siege with some of the rules of forgotten realms. But never actually felt like i imagined D&D would feel like. As was said for like over a year and a half. That certain things had to be removed and certain things had to be added. I am talking about the general feel of the game when dungeon crawling.

As for the only 10 levels. I have heard this is temporary, and at the same time. i tend to wonder about spells 10th and above. For instance Mavins worldweave, how exactly would one impliment that at level 11? I think they ahve to take baby steps and things do need to be changed, to fit the mmo role. As for dieties well...if the game had both things you want, those would be killable by players would they not? empire of magic somewhat showed that. i mean what your discussing here is somewhat the same sort of stuff thats been talked about in d&d forums for eyars now, heh.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual

Last edited by killahsin; 01-23-06 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-23-06, 09:39 AM   #10
|MaguS|

Well, I don't think it feels like it at all. I wanted some combat that would require some form of tactics, not just every party member running around hacking and slashing. Heck casters were complaining about not being able to do anything with spells since melee and ranged casters would finish the mob off way before a spell was cast... VERY unD&D like.

It seems that you only care about the atmosphere but not the actual gameplay... if thats the case then have fun but if I go out and buy a game that claims to recreate the D&D feel... I want the entire package... not just the look and "feel", I want the combat to make me think and the dungeons to make me feel the danger (which they do thanks to unbalanced traps).
Old 01-23-06, 10:04 AM   #11
killahsin

Hm i was a mage. I didn't have problems hitting things in groups? I'll admit i only got to 4.2, but still. Hitting mobs wasnt an issue. I usually was the guy killing 3/4 the mobs in my groups. Most of the groups i played in consisted of the rogue scouting and checking for doors. Archers in the back combo pulling w/ the tank and mages doing the nuking. Hell I foudn in quite a few dungeons where a str door was located to get in a secret section you could bypass this section with a little wit by finding the section of the gates that you could jump. Much like invisibility and completing lower level missions solo that i could not fight my way through.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
Old 01-23-06, 10:30 AM   #12
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
Aka Oblivion.
Meh...Morrowind was okay, but I don't care much for the First Person aspect. I like the third person isometric style of the BG games and NWN bettter for RPGs.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote