Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-19-06, 01:07 AM   #25
lognoronon

Default Re: Who else is excited about VANGUARD!

One big problem with the game though......It has the folks responsible for the stupid "vision" from eq1 that screwed up so much of the game. Those guys can take a long walk off of a short pier.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
8 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ

lognoronon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-06, 11:59 AM   #26
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by lognoronon
One big problem with the game though......It has the folks responsible for the stupid "vision" from eq1 that screwed up so much of the game. Those guys can take a long walk off of a short pier.
I think "The Vision" was the best thing... It required commitment and skill to progress to high levels. Not the BS WoW and EQ2 have that everyone can solo to lvl 60 and have great gear. MMO's are about community and teamwork, thats the reason they are online... soloing can be in the game but a person who solo's should not have the possibility to be equal or better then a person who works with others to achieve top tier ranking. Poeple who don't have much time can still find groups and raid on the weekend. I have seen many poeple who worked full-time and were parents at the top of EQ1's community because they wanted it, not because it was handed to them...

WoW and EQ2 are for people who want everything handed to them and are to lazy to work for it... The games are too easy and just require NO SKILL. I've seen raids in person and videos, they require no orginization or tactics...
Old 02-19-06, 12:53 PM   #27
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by lognoronon
Apparently you don't know what the "vision" is.

Tell me, What do you "think" it is?
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-06, 12:55 PM   #28
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
I think "The Vision" was the best thing... It required commitment and skill to progress to high levels. Not the BS WoW and EQ2 have that everyone can solo to lvl 60 and have great gear. MMO's are about community and teamwork, thats the reason they are online... soloing can be in the game but a person who solo's should not have the possibility to be equal or better then a person who works with others to achieve top tier ranking. Poeple who don't have much time can still find groups and raid on the weekend. I have seen many poeple who worked full-time and were parents at the top of EQ1's community because they wanted it, not because it was handed to them...

WoW and EQ2 are for people who want everything handed to them and are to lazy to work for it... The games are too easy and just require NO SKILL. I've seen raids in person and videos, they require no orginization or tactics...
MaguS you seem to be the only person on these forums that understand MMO's like I do. I agree with everything you just said. We should play on the same Vanguard server and own these little WoW babies who think they know what an MMO is.
Old 02-19-06, 02:20 PM   #29
slick
Play with conviction.

Quote:

You need to play Guild Wars.
Old 02-19-06, 02:32 PM   #30
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
I'm pretty sure MaguS has played Guild Wars.

I have played Guild Wars and I have to say it is a blast to play, up until you hit lvl 20 and then there really isn't much to do afterwards. The drop system and item stats system in the game is absolutely terrible. I know this will turn into an arguement of if GuildWars is a real MMO or not. Personally I don't think it is a true MMO. The entire game is one big pile of instances and I never feel like I am part of a "world". While WoW might not be a good MMO, I don't think GuildWars is an MMO at all....

My point in saying this is that Vanguard is in a completely different league of Guild Wars and really shouldn't be represented in the same thread.

Old 02-19-06, 05:32 PM   #31
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
Guild Wars is a pile of crap... Its a poor mans Diablo 2... Its not difficult in the same sense as an MMORPG. The only thing I enjoyed about the game was the ability to mix the classes...

Tygerwoody, Sure thing on Vangaurds. I will probably be picking up DDO till it releases. I like how DDO is very group centered. My Roommate and acouple of my ex Clan Mates will all be forming a Guild on it till Vangaurds.
Old 02-19-06, 06:03 PM   #32
slick
Play with conviction.

Quote:
Guild Wars is a pile of crap... Its a poor mans Diablo 2... Its not difficult in the same sense as an MMORPG. The only thing I enjoyed about the game was the ability to mix the classes...

Tygerwoody, Sure thing on Vangaurds. I will probably be picking up DDO till it releases. I like how DDO is very group centered. My Roommate and acouple of my ex Clan Mates will all be forming a Guild on it till Vangaurds.
Lol, if you say so. But all the things you're talking about, group centric, requires skills, etc, is exactly what Guild Wars is. Maybe you should give it another go.

Old 02-19-06, 07:30 PM   #33
lognoronon

Look I was playing EQ1 in summer of 99-now. The game is far better now than when brad and bunch were there trying to make things annoying rather than challenging. So many people don't understand the difference between challenging and a needless time sink. Vanguard is just going to be a bunch of needless timesinks end of story unless they learned from EQ1 which I hope they did. Remember folks kept calling WOW the second coming before it was out and look how it turned out....... They need to cater to casual players as well as hardcore and you know why? It's a freakin business! Something that so many people forget. They want as many folks as possible to play to make as much money as possible.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
8 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ

lognoronon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 05:10 AM   #34
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
MaguS you seem to be the only person on these forums that understand MMO's like I do. I agree with everything you just said. We should play on the same Vanguard server and own these little WoW babies who think they know what an MMO is.
Wow how leet of you.

Anyway, i don't pretend to know what an MMO is. All I know is I had the blast of my gaming life playing WoW for the 6 months I did. I took my time to level my character to 60 and then I couldn't manage anymore due to the time requirements.

I still think however it is THE best MMO out there looking at the screenshots and features and leet comments by the likes of you being made about the upcoming titles such as Vanguard. All I say is 'nah', I'll wait for World of Starcraft :P
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 06:53 PM   #35
mwdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist
All I say is 'nah', I'll wait for World of Starcraft :P
Are there actually plans for this? I googled it but didn't come up with anything. I've played Starcraft and liked it a lot (though I wasn't particularly good at it). I never played Warcraft, but have become interested in MMORPGs recently. I thought, maybe I need to pick up Warcraft and play that before getting into WoW. I just remember thinking, man, it would be cool if they had something like WoW for Starcraft.

Anyway, on the Vanguard topic... It looks pretty cool. But I don't really know what to expect with it (see above for my relative newness to MMORPGs). Right now the only MMORPG I play is A Tale in the Desert.
mwdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 07:01 PM   #36
|MaguS|

I like Vanguards because it brings back the feeling of exploration and travel. Too many MMOs today are making travel way to easy... its all instant and boring. Vanguards has none of that... if you want to get to a dungeon in another continent your going to have to trek there... no instant gate straight to it... If you forget to bind close to the dungeon and you die... well prepare for a corpse run... but atleast you can store extra gear on your horse's saddle bags (portable bank basically).

The game seems to be the closest thing to D&D in terms of adventure and exploration... basically what the original EQ was.

lognoronon, If you believe that EQ1 is better now then it was during the Verant days then you aren't a hardcore MMO player... you probably didn't make high level till recently... I played EQ since the start and untill planes of power... it became nothing more then a game of kill this mob, get gear and move to next mob. When Kunark and Velious expantions released we were given some original quests and factions to deal with... not just new mobs to kill.

No other MMO has had as amazing quests as the Velious Faction quests or Velious 10 Rig Quest. Velious was the greatest expantion for any MMO ever... I have said that if SOE would make a server now that was just up to velious and none of the newer crap I would return to EQ in a heart beat...