Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-20-06, 08:03 PM   #37
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Re: Who else is excited about VANGUARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist
Wow how leet of you.

Anyway, i don't pretend to know what an MMO is. All I know is I had the blast of my gaming life playing WoW for the 6 months I did. I took my time to level my character to 60 and then I couldn't manage anymore due to the time requirements.

I still think however it is THE best MMO out there looking at the screenshots and features and leet comments by the likes of you being made about the upcoming titles such as Vanguard. All I say is 'nah', I'll wait for World of Starcraft :P
I have to ask? How many MMO's have you played other than WoW? Oh none? Your opinion is about as important as a virgin who states masterbation is better than sex.

Logornnon. Everquest was the first REAL attempt at a good MMO. Of course it had its flaws, it was the only one of its kind and was still a brilliant game. I have to ask, have you ever been to a forum of a Random MMO that isnt released yet? What game do they always compare it to? Thats right, Everquest. Everquest is the standard of MMO's. It made MMO's what they are today. WoW's sucess is due to the ease of the graphics engine, and the popularity of Blizzard. Thats about it. Any game you can solo yourself up to max lvl with relative ease is not a good MMO in my point of view. Basically what WoW did was sell out. They did whatever they could to make top dollar. They are successful with the game yes, but they altered what makes an MMORPG an MMORPG to do it. Everything done for the game was done for money. Oblivion anyone?

Vanguard "looks" to be a very very good game and in my opinion will be the next "Everquest".

Last edited by Tygerwoody; 02-20-06 at 08:15 PM.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 08:40 PM   #38
spirited1

The vision brought me orig EQ, Kunark and Velious.

Sony brought me trivialised travel, awful lore and greed, greed, greed.

I'm looking forward to Vanguard and a return to a challenging, dangerous world. And that's what's been missing from recent mmorpgs. They are games, not worlds. Though I disagree with you on one thing, |MaguS|....

Kunark > Velious

I should add, to anyone who's heard of VG and is considering it. Forget what you know, or what you think you know. If you have doubts, wait until the NDA drops and reviews start coming in. Make your decisions at that point. Don't write this one off.

Last edited by spirited1; 02-20-06 at 08:51 PM.
spirited1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 08:58 PM   #39
|MaguS|

I loved Kunark, Especially the dreadlands, but Velious had the 10th Ring War and TV which are two of my all time favorite experiances in gaming...
Old 02-20-06, 09:23 PM   #40
spirited1

Yeah, 10th Ring War was an awesome sight. Kael was pretty badass too. I never did ToV, sadly. You know the guy who designed the Ring Wars and Epic quests is working for Sigil? I bet he's designing some crazy stuff.
Old 02-20-06, 09:28 PM   #41
|MaguS|

Yup, Almost all of Verant is at Sigil. I hope he rethinks the Epic quests though... I went through hell to accomplish my clerics...
Old 02-20-06, 10:14 PM   #42
slick
Play with conviction.

A real MMO was Ultima Online. What a game, by far the greatest piece of entertainment in history. What couldn't you do in that game. It had everything. Insane quests, outrageously good PvP. No levels at all, skills individually raised based on the amount of use they got, stats too. There were no classes or races, you got to put together characters as you saw fit, making for an infinite amount of builds and playstyles. The world was huge and every part of it was an adventure every day that you played it. Houses, factions, town control, mounts, everything that you could want in a game, ever, was in there. Just talking about it brings back a flood of memories I have with that game. 4 years of my life I spent playing that game, and loved every second of it.

And then, of course, EA managed to completely **** it up and ruin it. Congratulations EA. What historically amazing gaming franchise haven't they managed to ruin yet?
Old 02-20-06, 10:37 PM   #43
|MaguS|

UOs PVP was horrible... constant ganking and uber people going after extremely weak people or noobies... housing was stupid since it basically became a city since all the areas were covered in houses. The PVE was broken as hell aswell...

The best thing about UO was the Crafting... everything else was flawed... and hacker friendly...
Old 02-20-06, 10:55 PM   #44
Rakeesh

Bleh, I don't really like online RPG's. You spend entirely too much time doing repeated menial tasks in order to level up, then endless time trying to find items, and you have to always deal with people that have way too much free time on their hands and can't help but go around trying to show off their high levels and rare items as if they had some kind of a god complex.

Plus, co-operative play isn't really my thing, unless you are co-operatively fighting against other players. In multiplayer games I like to kill people, not boring ass NPC's. That is like the entire point of multiplayer to begin with.

That, and monthly fees are gay. Sometimes you just get tired of playing the same game over again, and having to manage that kind of an account for a game is annoying, especially when they still bill you for days you aren't playing, even after you cancel (because you can't cancel until the end of the billing cycle with like every online RPG out there.) Plus if they charge a monthly fee, they shouldn't charge you to buy the game initially for like $45.

I guess that is why I like NS much better than CS:S and online RPG's. Has the complexity of a mild RPG that CS:S lacks, without all of the endless leveling, item hunting, and asshats that don't have jobs.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-06, 11:03 PM   #45
|MaguS|

Then why post here? Seriously... Why post in a thread about a game that has NO INTEREST to you... Just so you can tell everyone that you don't like playing MMORPGs? Do you just like posting even if it has no purpose?

I don't mean this as an attack but this happens so often in MMORPG related threads... people coming in the thread stating how they dislike the coop gameplay or how they hate the idea of monthly fee's.
Old 02-21-06, 03:51 AM   #46
lognoronon

Quote:
lognoronon, If you believe that EQ1 is better now then it was during the Verant days then you aren't a hardcore MMO player... you probably didn't make high level till recently... I played EQ since the start and untill planes of power... it became nothing more then a game of kill this mob, get gear and move to next mob. When Kunark and Velious expantions released we were given some original quests and factions to deal with... not just new mobs to kill.
Well short answer is I was max level in EQ before the first expansion came out and of course made the max level each expansion after. So yes I consider myself a hardcore player but with a difference of opinion. Saying I'm not hardcore cause I didn't like what they did is retarded. I played the game so much it almost ruined my life but got it under control eventualy but still did 8 hour raids on the weekends.

I am not saying they didn't do anything right as velious is a good example of a good expansion but they were too hard headed with certain things that came under "the vision".

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
8 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ

lognoronon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 03:53 AM   #47
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
I have to ask? How many MMO's have you played other than WoW? Oh none? Your opinion is about as important as a virgin who states masterbation is better than sex.
Yes WoW was my first and so far only MMORPG and from what I hear about the rest (especially the older MMOs) makes me glad I was unaware enough at the time to try anything else. And I'm old enough (28 actually) to appreciate a solid and entertaining game. And no I didn't solo through WoW as I made sure to complete as many quests as possible, many of which are simply un-soloable. I'm not ashamed of my opinion that WoW is simply the best and yes, masturbation sometimes IS better than sex.

Either way, it always amuses me how these old-school MMO players and EQ veterans can't get no satisfaction in the genre as it is nowadays, always hoping for the grind and the so called "complexity" to come back.

And although I'm actually willing to give Vanguard a try once it comes out, I'm afraid I'll end up with the same sour taste I got during the 2 hours I had EQ2 Trial of the Isle installed on my HDD. What a pile of badly-coded, artless crap that game was!
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.

Last edited by glObalist; 02-21-06 at 04:55 AM.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-06, 06:28 AM   #48
|MaguS|

It's not the grind that I miss , its the thrill and danger you had to worry about. EQ1 made an adventure out of every level, there was something always fun and exciting to expoler.

Every MMO released recently makes travel boring (instant travel) and the death penalty just un threatening... I like having to do corpse runs, thats what made me afraid of dying and made me play better. There was a risk... now its just "oh no, I have to kill 2 more monsters to fix my xp debt!".