Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-17-03, 10:58 AM   #1
mike76

Default Linux RH8.0 newbie -- HELP!!

Hello,

I'm trying to get my nvidia card to work with my RH8.0, I have been trying for several days now and I'm at my breaking point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I have on the system:
kernel 2.4.14
kernel 2.4.18-19.8.0
Dell Inspiron 8200 - Pentium 4

When I run NVchooser it tells me to use these files: NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i386.rpm & NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.rh80up.i686.rpm

If I run a fresh install with only kernel 2.4.14, it works fine. But when I upgrade to 2.4.18-19.8.0, nothing seems to work.

I have tried several different sets of directions and all have given me trouble. When I use the install directions for building from the src.rpm or the tarball file, do I need the upgraded kernel source rpm installed before hand?

Nvidia describe one why to get around the multiple kernel problem by making the tarball this way: make install SYSINCLUDE=/path/to/kernel/headers.
How do i find the path to the header files?

Anyway, I currently have a fresh install of RH8.0 with kernel 2.4.14...completely untouched. Can someone please tell me the process to get my nvidia card working and how I should proceed with the upgrade to 2.4.18-19.8.0? Please, assume that I know very little in your explanation, because I don't.

Thank you for your time,
Mike
Old 01-17-03, 11:34 AM   #2
bwkaz

When you change kernels, your nVidia kernel-level driver (nvidia.o) won't load under the new kernel. So once you upgrade to 2.4.18-19.8.0, you'll have to reinstall the drivers (or at least the NVIDIA_kernel package) anyway.

One other thing -- RH 8, AFAIK, doesn't come with kernel 2.4.14. 2.4.14 is quite old (it's actually from before development started on 2.5, which has been going on for quite some time), much older than RH would have normally used. Are you sure this isn't supposed to be kernel 2.4.18-14? Because that is, I believe, the default RH 8 kernel.

Anyway, yes, if you are compiling a new nvidia.o module, you will need a version of kernel-source that corresponds exactly (in both version and configuration) to your running kernel. This means that if you upgrade to 2.4.18-19.8.0, you will need a kernel-source-2.4.18-19.8.0 package installed as well before the nVidia driver will compile. You probably also need to configure that kernel source -- find a config file that matches your architecture in /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-19.8.0/configs, and copy it from there to ../.config. Then cd .., edit the Makefile in there (change EXTRAVERSION from whatever it is to whatever it was minus the "custom" part), and do a make mrproper oldconfig dep to perform the configuration (this takes the settings in the .config file and applies them to the kernel source tree). Then go to wherever you unpacked the NVIDIA_kernel tarball (sometimes the errors from the .tar.gz drivers are better worded than the ones from the .src.rpm), do a make clean, and a make. If you still see errors, post them here.

Oh yeah, do all this while you're running the updated kernel.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-03, 11:37 AM   #3
DaMaxx
GeForce4ti4200

Did you install the kernel source on your initial install. This would have been the kernel Development packages. As a general rule of thumb I would always install all the source and development packages that come with a distro.

Second before installing the nvidia drivers you should update to the newest kernel, which it looks like you have.

Then download the source rpms instead of using nvchooser. source rpms will have an extension that looks like this ".src.rpm" and follow nvidia's readme file on thier site. remember though that to rebuild the source rpms you need to use the command for red hat 8:

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA-4191.......

nvidia's readme file is easy to follow and it does work.

good luck.

P.S. It's all about src.rpms, one should always try the source rpm on an rpm based distro
DaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-03, 11:37 AM   #4
junkieclown
Helium Abuser

Location: Summers in Rangoon, but mostly in my evil underground lair and Volcano laboratory. though

This may not be the answer to all your questions but at a minimum, yes, the installed kernel-source rpm must match the version number of your installed, running kernel exactly.
Since you don't really want to run any redhat kernel prior to the latest update which now is something like 2.4.18-19-8.0 there is no sense in having kernel-source 2.4.14-xxx installed or indeed any RH kernel-source package but the one matching the latest updated RH kernel. Kernel source for later stable releases like 2.4.19 and 2.4.20 that comes from kernel.org is a different matter. One thing that happens to people is that RH does not, by default, install any kernel-source rpm. So when people upgrade their kernel to keep their system secure, which is something that redhat makes easy to do through 'up2date' downloads, the kernel-source package on their installation cds no longer matches their running kernel, AND furhermore the 'up2date' and 'redhat-config-packages' utilities don't really demonstrate an understanding of the confusion this can cause. It would be nice to have a one step GUI option to install the most current kernel-source rpm despite the fact that kernel-source wasn't one the packages originally installed on your system. Instead you must locate a redhat ftp repository for updates and download the kernel source for your current kernel.

If you switch between different installed kernels occasionally, like say between 2.4.18-19.8.0 from redhat's updated packages and 2.4.20 from kernel.org, this means reinstalling/remaking the nvidia kernel module on each switch.
junkieclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-03, 12:24 PM   #5
mike76

bwkaz and others,

Thank you....thank you....thank you .

It works!!!

Mike
Old 01-18-03, 01:08 PM   #6
dporter

I am having an error after doing the above steps. After typing make in the directory where the .tar is unpacked I get the attached messages

I used the kernel-2.4.18-athlon-smp.config from /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-19.8.0/configs and put it into
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-19.8.0 as .config, so I thought that this would work, but....

Any help/advice would be appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: txt messages.txt (3.6 KB, 141 views)
dporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-03, 05:20 PM   #7
bwkaz

That one's not too hard. Change the top-level kernel-source Makefile so that EXTRAVERSION ends in smp (it will probably be -19.8.0smp). Once you've done this, do the make mrproper oldconfig dep again, make clean in the NVIDIA_kernel, and make again there.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote