Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-19-03, 09:16 AM   #13
icmac1

Smile re-geforcve4 t1 4200+MD8.1 fault

I am not worthy, I have finally got my card to work.

I did have a file problem with my /etc/mtab missing which I fixed,
same fault with the driver, however as per bwkaz's suggestion
I removed the NVdriver, re-made and installed, same fault, I checked the driver was correct, it was, version 3123, however the loaded version reported a lower number. I found a NVdriver.o.gz under the ../drivers/char dir, I renamed this and reloaded the NVdriver and success.

However I wonder what the driver uder the char dir was, any clues?

This may be why some other folks have the same problem, prev to installing I did remove the nv drivers, however I msiised this one for soem reason.

Many, many thanks to Bwkaz
Old 01-19-03, 11:45 AM   #14
bwkaz

NVdriver.o.gz? WTF is Mandrake thinking?

Do you happen to know where that file came from? I never got that when I was using Mandrake 8.1, though I'm not sure why.

It seems to be an old driver that some package (a Mandrake-installed package, or not, I don't know) thought you needed. But why was it under kernel/drivers/char? No idea... And why was it named NVdriver.o.gz? The .o makes it sound like whoever made it thought they would "help" nVidia by making the name "properly-formed" -- which isn't necessary, it's just the way the rest of the modules are named. The .gz makes it sound like they also gzipped the driver (actually, this is almost assuredly what they did), which is usually something distros do.

But again, it never did that to me...
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-03, 12:50 PM   #15
icmac1

Cool re-geforce4 t1 4200+MD8.1 fault

I think this file must have been in the original dist as the date was 2001, ps all the files under driver/char are o.gz's plus some under vidio as well (I guess these are unzipped during loading into the kernel. Mind you I thought the default driver was nv.

I will look at my original dist cd to see If I can find it
Old 01-19-03, 01:38 PM   #16
bwkaz

The default driver is "nv", but that's a different thing altogether. That's an XFree86 driver, not a kernel module. NVdriver (and the new name for it, nvidia.o) are kernel modules; nv_drv.o and nvidia_drv.o (the first one should be under /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers, and the second will be put there by the NVIDIA_GLX package) are X drivers.

Yes, recent modutils allow modules to be gzipped on disk. They do decompress them before loading them into the kernel.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote