Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-01-06, 10:03 PM   #13
warzer

Default Re: 6600 256MB vs. 6600GT 128MB

I want to throw another card at you. the 6800 GS. I got the 6600gt a few months back and got the 6800gs for my 2nd computer. well now i totally regret spending the money on the gt when for nearly the same price you can get the 6800gs. just from playing fear and wow and swg and few other games the GS blows the gt out of the water. my lowest frame rate on fear with the gs is nearly 2-3x higher then the gt. I also have a barton 2500 o/c to 2ghz. I think we have similar systems and i can say that the gs will definatly give you that extra yr or more. If it wasn't for the darn dual cores i wouldn't be upgrading. I also alrady purchased a 2nd gs to replace my gt.

Thanks the faith i have in this new price/preformance KING!!

Good luck on your purchase only purchase what you want and want to spend or that dreaded buyers remorse sets in. I hate that :P

War
warzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-06, 02:52 AM   #14
mwdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzer
Good luck on your purchase only purchase what you want and want to spend or that dreaded buyers remorse sets in. I hate that :P

War
Curse you, warzer! :P Just kidding...whether or not you said anything, I alway have buyers' remorse. Cause I always seem to find a cheaper deal once I make a purchase. I have to be one of the most idiotic consumers in the world.

Seriously, though, I am not at all unhappy with my purchase. I think it will give me exactly what I need.

As per Drive Cleaner...I've got a copy of that (used to use it when I would update my ATI drivers)...thanks for reminding me.

Now I'm just waiting...waiting. Got my extra gig of RAM yesterday, so now all I need is my new video card, and I'll be properly geeked out.
mwdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-06, 07:29 PM   #15
mwdowns

Well, after some problems with ordering my card online (not in stock...didn't want to wait, so canceled the order), I ended up heading to the mainland and getting an ELSA Gladiac 6600GT.

I installed it and got the latest forceware drivers working. It seems to be doing OK.

However, while at the store, I noticed an ASUS 6800GS for cheaper. Since I had contented myself on buying a GT, I bought the GT. However, I just noticed a thread saying that it would be better to get the 6800GS. I can return the card, if I want to. Would it be better to return the 6600GT for the 6800GS?

I always hate buying things at stores, cause you can't check out the interent before making your final decision. And, as I stated before, I'm a horrible consumer.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

EDITED to add a couple questions: how easy is it to unlock the extra pipelines, and overclock the card (to bring it on par with a 6800GT)? And is it worth it in regards to my stated gaming habits vs. the wear and tear on the card?

Last edited by mwdowns; 02-12-06 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 03:06 PM   #16
Gentle

If it isn't out of your budget the 6800GS is a much more capable card.

I did not suggest it because you did not mention it.

The 6800GS has 256 meg of ram or 128 meg?

If it's 256 meg of ram, snatch that up. Even if it doesn't unlock it's a better card than the 6600GT. The 6600GT isn't a bad card at all. It's just the 6800GS is better.

The 6800GS has a 256bit memory controller. The 6600GT has a 128bit memory controller.

To unlock, you load up RivaTuner, select a few menu options (might need a reboot) and it will either give you a speed increase with no degradation in graphics quality or it may glitch... Glitch is just that, you see a graphic "glitch" on the screen. If that happens, you merely unselect the options you selected (might need to reboot) and it's all good.

But, look around for a better message thread about unlocking using RivaTuner. I've never done it.

Gentle
Gentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 07:12 PM   #17
mwdowns

Hey Gentle.

Thanks for the advice. I can't remember whether or not the card had 256mb RAM. I do remember that the RAM wasn't listed as DDR3 (like it was on the GT). But, I think I might make a trip to the mainland next week. So, I'll take my card in-box and receipt along with me. If the GS is still there, I'll make the exchange.

As you said, though, the GT is a nice card...faster than anything I've ever had. So, if the GS is gone or not 256MB RAM, I won't be disappointed.

Boo on in store shopping! Boo!

EDITED to add: if I have the drivers already setup in Windows, will it be a problem just to switch out the cards?

Last edited by mwdowns; 02-13-06 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 12:29 AM   #18
jcniest5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdowns
EDITED to add: if I have the drivers already setup in Windows, will it be a problem just to switch out the cards?
Nope, in the worst case it will do a refresh for you. If it asks for a CD or driver, just point it to your CD (in which case it'll automatically find it for you anyway). If you install the driver from executing a downloaded file, just re-run that file to reinstall the driver. I've done it numerous times w/o any problem. Yeah, I also agree that if the 6800GS is actually cheaper, get it, exchange your 6600GT for it.
jcniest5 is offline   Reply With Quote