Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-31-06, 03:42 AM   #1
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Thumbs down What's wrong with DOA4 ?

I mean, this game is so frustrating...

They increased the difficulty over the past series and now the "normal" mode is harder than the highest skill setting in the past titles of the franchise. And, worse, there's no "easy" mode, either.

The game can become a very annoying: a lot of battles are won just by extreme patience and luck. Enemies will block very often -too often- and counter the moves constantly, usually with elaborate throws that reduce the health bar by one third. Not to mention the massive multi-hit combos which can take a full life bar and reduce it to nothing. Plus, if your characters end up being thrown in a corner, it's almost impossible to recover and the only thing left to do is watch him(her) being beaten to pulp over and over again.

The last boss is a joke. If the instant-counter, massive combo fest isn't enough, now you've an opponent that cheats by teleporting just outside the range of the characters, start a 10+ combo that cannot be blocked or prepares for a "super move" that takes away up to 50% of the health bar in a single blow.

The best strategy for the win ? Hit randomly the up, dir, down + kick, punch buttons furiously. Sometimes you can end up a fight with the life bar full, sometimes your enemy will still reduce you to dust, but at least there's a fair 50-50 percent chance of winning.

Hell, there was a time when I called people n00bs for mashing mindlessy the buttons when playing a beat'em up!

PS: On a side note, I think I'm becoming homo I think that the males models in this game (Leon, Brad, Zack, Bass...) look better than the females. The heroines in this game still have the outdated plastic love doll look which is the trademark of this game since it's debut on the Dreamcast. On the contrary, the males looks much more lifelike and detailed both in the face and in the body.
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 04:04 AM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: What's wrong with DOA4 ?

Eurogamer seems to agree with you. I would tend to agree with it, considering how I really disliked the fighting in DOA3 (Ultimate was pretty cool, though).
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 04:52 AM   #3
|MaguS|

DOA since after the second title has gone totally down hill. The games have become seriously unbalanced and just stupid. The combat mechanics are good in theory but since the CPU Opponent is flawless about 99% of the time its just boring, Online play aswell is broken so the only option your left with is playing at home with a friend and even then good players will rely on the good characters and ignore the horribly unbalanced ones.

They need to take Itagaki off the design aspect of the game, Hes just bad at it. He doesn't know how to do any form of game balance (he stated many times that he doesn't care if poeple think the game is "too hard") and lacks any skill in forming a game with a good story.
Old 01-31-06, 07:55 AM   #4
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Yes it's very unbalanced. Blocking is almost useless, in order to win vs the CPU the only strategy is to perform multiple different attacks. In this game the ability to react is secondary to the ability to push many buttons as fast as possible. I've read a review which stated that DOA4 is "95% attack and 5% defence". Now I understand they were not kidding.

The difficulty slider is also pretty useless. From "Normal" to "Very hard" the AI does not change that much and the single player mode it's only a source of frustration. I completely share the point of view of Eurogamer
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
Old 01-31-06, 08:05 AM   #5
nrs421

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxyz

PS: On a side note, I think I'm becoming homo I think that the males models in this game (Leon, Brad, Zack, Bass...) look better than the females. The heroines in this game still have the outdated plastic love doll look which is the trademark of this game since it's debut on the Dreamcast. On the contrary, the males looks much more lifelike and detailed both in the face and in the body.

you're a guy? i'd always assumed you were a girl....you know with you nick being msxyz (Miss xyz) or that's what i thought it was
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 08:07 AM   #6
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

LOL No, msxyz has an entirely diffferent meaning.
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
Old 01-31-06, 08:19 AM   #7
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

Unfortunately I have to agree with you guys. Playing in single player mode is totally frustrating. The only redeeming value this game has is it's local multiplayer (online is a lag monster) and it's visuals. I sometimes just go to the "watch" mode and setup a tag team match with all chics and watch them beat the living crap out of eachother!!
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 03:11 PM   #8
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

If you play in sparring mode you can set up the AI level for the computer controlled opponents. Low levels (1-3) are the only ones really enjoyable because the AI does not abuse of combos or counters.

In mid february a patch will be released to adress some of the problems with online matches although I don't think we will see any major improvements in the gameplay. Team Ninja is already working on DOA volleyball 2.