Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-31-06, 09:27 AM   #1
cothrige

Default Performance problems with e-GeForce MX 4000

I have an evga e-GeForce MX 4000 64Mb AGP 8x card and for some time had no problems at all. I was running Gentoo and emerged the nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx packages. With that setup I could play nexuiz, alienarena and even Doom 3, though in the latter there was a little slowdown in heavy action. However, I recently returned to a Slackware setup and had to use the nvidia driver from the nvidia site, listed as Linux IA32. Things seemed to proceed alright and there were no complaints from the installer.

After starting x I was met with the standard splash screen I had with gentoo. I also ran glxinfo and confirmed direct rendering. But, glxgears is running at only 300 or so, and now all the games I used to be able to play are unplayable. I am unsure what to do now as there seem to be no alternative installation methods for the nvidia drivers, or alternative drivers themselves. Were those with gentoo different than those avaialable at the nvidia site? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Patrick
cothrige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 01:32 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Performance problems with e-GeForce MX 4000

My best guess is that this is a kernel issue, but there's not much to go on right now. Do you still have this Gentoo installation available?

Also, please generate and post a bug report.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 02:08 PM   #3
cothrige

Okay, I am posting the bug report I was able to generate. And I should probably mention that I was running the 2.4 kernel which comes standard with Slack at first, and the behaviour of the nvidia drivers and card was the same as it is now. I then upgraded to the 2.6.13 kernel in testing and reinstalled the nvidia drivers, assuming that the kernel modules would need updating for the new kernel. This seemed to proceed as expected, though in both cases I did have some trouble with automating the modprobe, but that has always been tricky for me in Slack and didn't seem connected to any nvidia issue. And I can only assume really that I am using the actual drivers as installed as I am not too up on how to make sure everything is being loaded and used properly by X. If you have any tips of things I can check I would be happy to try them.

I do not really have anything resembling my gentoo system availabe at this time as I had synced my portage tree several times since the initial installation of that OS, as it had been running for about six months at the time of the problems. I only installed the nvidia drivers about a month ago and they worked fine then. The kernel was I think a 2.6.12 and I am not sure which driver was used, though there is an NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run on the disc. I did not have to download anything to install, so this could be it, but gentoo does not use the installer, so I cannot be sure. I am considering at this point trying a reinstall with the 6629 driver just too see if there is a difference. I suppose there could be something about the 8178 driver which is not reacting well to my system. It may be worth a try.

I did try to reinstall the gentoo system but had no real luck. Since the system is so fluid one can never be sure if things are the same. And unfortunately it takes a couple of days to get it up to full speed, and I fear that I goofed something in that period and ended up with some strange cpu issues causing me to scrap it and begin again. That time I decided to go with Slack again, as I kind of missed it. But, as it is, I never got the nvidia drivers tested in that system due to the problems.

I appreciate the help and I hope that this bug report is satisfactory. If I failed to produce it correctly please let me know how to do it properly and I will get another up then.

Thanks again,

Patrick
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (91.8 KB, 126 views)
Old 01-31-06, 03:19 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm afraid that I don't see anything in your bug report that would point to the cause of performance problems. Have you tried different values for NvAGP ?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 03:31 PM   #5
cothrige

No, I didn't. But I seem to recall that my AGP is not supported by nvidia's driver, SiS 746 I think, and so I would have to go with the built in kernel module. I will look into it again to make sure. And I just tried to install the 6629 driver but it failed and would not build. So I am now rebuilding a new kernel to see if there is something hanging out in the default one which is clashing. If that fails I am not sure what I will do short of reinstalling with something like Suse and hope that it detects things itself. I would hate to do that though.

Thanks,

Patrick