Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-30-06, 01:18 PM   #1
micko

Default System hangs with nvidia-driver

I just bought a "new" graphics card. Before I had a Geforce 2 Ti, but I wanted to get image to two screens at the same time (monitor and tv). So I bought "Geforce4 MX 4000" (NV18). That's what lspci tells me. I really didn't care about the cards capabilities as long as I can get tv-out and monitor working at the same time.

Anyways... Startx hangs the system. Screen goes black and after a few seconds monitor goes off. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace won't work, ctrl+alt+f# won't work... I still can ssh to the system. I can see Xorg.0.log stuck in loading something and top tells me xorg is taking 99% of cpu time. I'm unable to kill process of xorg. I also can't reboot or shutdown. It simply won't. That goes on... At least for 12 hours. (I was 200km away and unable to reboot the computer ).

I've tried this with Xorg-6.8.2, -6.9 and -7.0, Gentoo and Debian, nVidia drivers versions 6111 to 8178 (Ok. Not every one. But I tried several). Also tried with XFree... the version in Debian Sarge. Same thing happens every time. Except that when I try to kill XFree the system totally hangs and I really can't do anything. Not even ssh to the machine.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (80.3 KB, 124 views)
micko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-06, 04:13 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: System hangs with nvidia-driver

Are you using the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

Also, I'd like to see a bug report against 1.0-8178.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 02:54 AM   #3
Rula

Quote:
Originally Posted by micko
Anyways... Startx hangs the system. Screen goes black and after a few seconds monitor goes off. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace won't work, ctrl+alt+f# won't work... I still can ssh to the system. I can see Xorg.0.log stuck in loading something and top tells me xorg is taking 99% of cpu time. I'm unable to kill
Almost, I have the same problem. But my OS is FreeBSD 5.4. Also I try
this on FreeBSD 5.3 ang xorg-server 6.9.0 and 6.8.2 and xorg-server-snap 6.8.x and lower with
driver NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0-7174 and NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0-7676 and NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0-8178.
After startx - xorg start fine (grey screen) and mouse appear. And
nothing more. I can to connect over ssh and top tells me xorg is
taking 99% of cpu time. But with NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0-6111 I have
no problem. My video Gforce 4200Ti AGP8X. My motherboard - Soltek
75-FRV2. But I have been upgraded BIOS 1 year ago.
Rula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 06:05 AM   #4
jdehls

Default system hangs with new kernel only

I am trying to upgrade to the latest kernel (2.6.14-1.1656) from the one shipped with FC4 (2.6.11-1.1369). After booting to a shell with the kernel the first time, I ran the Nvidia driver installation. When I reboot, the system hangs when X is starting. The system ran fine and still runs fine with the same driver and the old kernel. The driver file I am using is NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8178-pkg2.run

The attached bug report was generated after hitting the reset key so I don't know how useful it is.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (87.3 KB, 123 views)
File Type: txt dmesg.txt (25.6 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by jdehls; 01-31-06 at 06:43 AM.
jdehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 12:42 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

jdehls,
I don't see anything unusual in your bug report.

If you boot with the noapic and/or acpi=off kernel parameters does that have any impact on this problem?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 02-01-06, 04:20 AM   #6
jdehls

Using acpi=off, the system won't boot completely. It hangs with the message:
irq5: nobody cared

Using noapic, or both noapic and acpi=off, the system boots, X fails to start and says so, but I can still get to a command prompt without the system freezing. However, I get serious disk errors. I was able to generate a bug report both times before rebooting. No I am back to the old kernel again.

I have attached both reports. They are gzipped to beat the 100k limit and a .txt extension added to beat the filetype rule for attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report_noapic_acpioff.log.gz.txt (22.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report_noapic.log.gz.txt (23.4 KB, 117 views)
Old 02-01-06, 10:58 AM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I don't see anything in the new bug reports that wasn't in the original. Just to confirm, the original FC4 kernel doesn't trigger this problem, just the latest?

I don't suppose you have a 2nd system and a serial cable available to setup a serial console, do you?

I'll see if I can locate this motherboard here to reproduce this problem.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 02-02-06, 03:35 AM   #8
jdehls

Yes, driver is completely stable with original FC4 kernel. I have a second pc in the room running XP pro. I have cygwin-x installed and can ssh etc to the problem machine (also vnc). I don't know anything about serial consoles. When the system crashes, however, it is really crashed and doesn't respond over the network.

Old 02-02-06, 12:09 PM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I suspect I've seen this problem as well with the more recent FC4 kernels, and after discussion with development it was determined to be a kernel bug, not a driver bug. For what its worth, the problem does not seem to occur with the latest FC5 test kernels.

If you could capture the crash output in a serial console I could confirm whether you're seeing the same problem. Without that output, I'm afraid there isn't much more that I can do.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 02-03-06, 06:11 AM   #10
jdehls

Default Problem solved: new kernel

I guess you were right about it being a kernel problem. 2.6.15-1.1830 was released yesterday. I updated and installed drivers. Everything went flawlessly. Thanks for your help.