Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-03-06, 08:47 AM   #1
maddog1169

Question Strange behaviour on Debian with Kernel 2.6.13

Finally got my Linux System back up running with nv drivers and wanted to
install the new Nvidia drivers.

Compilation works fine and install as well.

On the first start from the shell (via startx)
Display manger starts up excellently.

However, after rebooting I get a black screen on the graphical login
stating there be a problem finding the module.

Switching xconf.org back to the nv system works again.

any got any idea ?
maddog1169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 02:09 PM   #2
kteague

Default Re: Strange behaviour on Debian with Kernel 2.6.13

An excellent document that covers installation of nVidia drivers on Debian systems can be found here.

Also, startx is normally used when you boot in to console mode and would like to start the X Window System. It's normally not used when a Display Manager (XDM, GDM, etc.) is used. If you're using a DM, you should restart X by using the appropriate init script. For example, if you use GDM (typical among recent Debian installations), simply type: "/etc/init.d/gdm restart" (without the quotes); no reboot required. This will start X on vt7, and you can get back to vt's 1-6 a la CTRL-ALT-F1 thru CTRL-ALT-F6.

- Ken
kteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 02:32 PM   #3
jurek

Repeat the installation and before reboot make a copy of the library /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.8178 to the /usr/lib/nvidia directory.
Shoud help forever.
jurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 02:54 PM   #4
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Please note that if you install the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver on a Debian GNU/Linux or Ubuntu system using the official .run package while the nvidia-glx package is installed, or after this package has been uninstalled without the --purge option, the /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx script will modify the NVIDIA TLS library installation when the system starts, which typically results on X server crashes when the server-side NVIDIA GLX extension module is initialized.

This problem can be avoided by uinstalling the nvidia-glx package with the --purge option or by manually deleting the script /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 02:39 PM   #5
jurek

I have to agree with zander.
Another way is just to use Debian nvidia-glx package - it seems to contain the same version of the driver. At least it works for me.
jurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 07:56 AM   #6
bedenkerij
Bedenkerij / Bert

You have to remove /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx by hand, even after doing apt-get remove nvidia-glx. The scripts removes /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.7184 and /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1 at startup.

I further removed removed all Debian nvidia packages, but I do not know if that is necessary.

For the search-engines to find this hint:

My kernel is 2.6.8 (compiled myself from Debian kernel-source).

nvidia-installer used: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7184-pkg1.run
Remark: For my Nvidia RIVA TNT I had to use the latest LEGACY-version from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html (Linux IA32); the "latest version" does NOT work. The error-message suggests the problem is with the kernels source or compiler, but that is not the case. Just get te legacy version. (If you use the wrong installation script you are notified to do so at start-up, but the installer script does not quit, so you might miss that message at first, as I did.)

Goodluck :-)
bedenkerij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 08:11 AM   #7
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedenkerij
You have to remove /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx by hand, even after doing apt-get remove nvidia-glx. The scripts removes /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.7184 and /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1 at startup.
Correct, you need to remove the script manually if you install the package such that configuration files are left intact; you needn't delete the script manually if you use the --purge option when uninstalling the nvidia-glx package, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedenkerij
nvidia-installer used: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7184-pkg1.run
Remark: For my Nvidia RIVA TNT I had to use the latest LEGACY-version from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html (Linux IA32); the "latest version" does NOT work. The error-message suggests the problem is with the kernels source or compiler, but that is not the case. Just get te legacy version. (If you use the wrong installation script you are notified to do so at start-up, but the installer script does not quit, so you might miss that message at first, as I did.)
This is the expected behavior, the TNT1 is a legacy graphics chip and supported through the Linux legacy graphics drivers. Please see http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...ppendix-a.html for a complete list of legacy GPUs (towards the bottom of the page).
zander is offline   Reply With Quote