Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-05-06, 10:20 PM   #1
Cptobvious
*BANNED*

Default High Temp on BFG 6800GS OC

I just recently bought a BFG 6800GS OC AGP card and ive been keeping close tabs on the temperature and it seems im at a constant idle temp of 58-59 degrees. I have a empty slot next to my video card which gives it plenty of space to air itself out. When im in a game on max load like BF2 I minimize and the ingame temp seems to be from what I have been reading fairly decent however like 68C or so its just the idle temp that seems high since ive been reading it normally runs at around 45-50C. Now although 59 degrees is still within safe range I dont want to lose alot of life on my card, Im planning to keep it at least one year until DX10 comes out and a buy a new one and I want to make sure it lasts at least that long. I also don't feel like investing in a expensive fan or anything really. BTW im using the 83.40 Guru3d drivers.

So basically I just want to know if this is really a problem to worry about the well being of my video card, and also if there is any way to cool it down or fix this or anything.

BTW I also unlocked the extra pipelines and vertex on it but I heard it doesn't really matter for temps plus it was pretty much the same before hand.
Cptobvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 10:27 PM   #2
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!

Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney
Default Re: High Temp on BFG 6800GS OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptobvious
I just recently bought a BFG 6800GS OC AGP card and ive been keeping close tabs on the temperature and it seems im at a constant idle temp of 58-59 degrees. I have a empty slot next to my video card which gives it plenty of space to air itself out. When im in a game on max load like BF2 I minimize and the ingame temp seems to be from what I have been reading fairly decent however like 68C or so its just the idle temp that seems high since ive been reading it normally runs at around 45-50C. Now although 59 degrees is still within safe range I dont want to lose alot of life on my card, Im planning to keep it at least one year until DX10 comes out and a buy a new one and I want to make sure it lasts at least that long. I also don't feel like investing in a expensive fan or anything really. BTW im using the 83.40 Guru3d drivers.

So basically I just want to know if this is really a problem to worry about the well being of my video card, and also if there is any way to cool it down or fix this or anything.

BTW I also unlocked the extra pipelines and vertex on it but I heard it doesn't really matter for temps plus it was pretty much the same before hand.

Check for dust on the fan etc. The idle is a little high but nothing
to worry about.
15.6 inch HD WideScreen
Nvidia 8200M-G 895mb
2Gig system ram
250Gig SATA 5400rpm HDrive
Vista Premium
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 11:13 PM   #3
golftee
Fore!!!!!!

saw your post over on guru also, bfg says anything up to 60c idle and nothing over 90c load....
Old 02-06-06, 08:26 PM   #4
j0j081

those temps are fine but if you are that worried get the cooler in my sig.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-06, 03:47 PM   #5
Loto_Bak

not sure of the 6800gs uses a simular cooler, but my 6800gt often gets clogged up with dust. Get a small screw driver and take of the aluminum cover thing and get all the dust out of there. The design causes lots of dust to get caught up at the very beginning of the gpu heatsink and causes it to recieve little to no cooling. I clean my card every 4 - 5 months but my case is left open so i have lots of dust around
Loto_Bak is offline   Reply With Quote