Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-12-06, 06:29 AM   #109
mmartinmate

Default Re: Nvidia 6200 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities

Hi everybody,

New version 1.0-9631 in Suse 10.1 has de same problem.
glxgears freeze the system in less than 1 minute just like Goolge Earth (tested yesterday).

Has anyone a good experience with OpenSuse 10.2 and/or Xgl/Compiz ?

I am thinking to buy a Intel 945 do you know if it works with our motherboard?

It is possible to know the estate of the bug 227803 that netllama opened 05-10-06 (six month ago) for a problem with more than a year of live.
mmartinmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 10:57 AM   #110
lithiumfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartinmate
Hi everybody,

New version 1.0-9631 in Suse 10.1 has de same problem.

I am thinking to buy a Intel 945 do you know if it works with our motherboard?

It is possible to know the estate of the bug 227803 that netllama opened 05-10-06 (six month ago) for a problem with more than a year of live.
9742 BETA doesn't fix the problem either. The Intel 945 should work, as this is a software issue that Nvidia aren't taking seriously. Lonni doesn't seem to want to disclose the real status of the bug either, whenever anybody asks, the post is simply shafted with, "Being reviewed by development team".

Lonni - is this bug going to be fixed, if so, when? Is it being investigated, or has it been shelved?
Old 12-12-06, 11:04 AM   #111
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I've answered your question, honestly, the last two times you asked. Asking it repeatedly isn't going to result in a different or more favorable response.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 06:28 PM   #112
lithiumfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I've answered your question, honestly, the last two times you asked. Asking it repeatedly isn't going to result in a different or more favorable response.
I apologise for my attitude previously, I appreciate this isn't your fault. You must understand, however, my frustration at not being able to use accelerated 3D drivers. I understand that you are investigating this bug, and would like to know if we are talking about weeks or months in terms of when a fixed driver will be available. The first quarter of 2007, perhaps? Or do you have no idea yet? Again, I apologse for my hostility.
Old 12-12-06, 06:35 PM   #113
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The issue is being actively investigated by engineers from multiple groups, as its not clear whether its a graphics driver bug, an issue with the motherboard chipset, a combination of the two, or something else entirely. Assuming that it turned out to be a graphics driver bug, the earliest there could be a solution would be 2007. However, until its been root-caused, I couldn't provide an estimate.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 12-12-06, 06:38 PM   #114
lithiumfx

Quote:
The issue is being actively investigated by engineers from multiple groups, as its not clear whether its a graphics driver bug, an issue with the motherboard chipset, a combination of the two, or something else entirely. Assuming that it turned out to be a graphics driver bug, the earliest there could be a solution would be 2007. However, until its been root-caused, I couldn't provide an estimate.

Thanks,
Lonni
Alright. Could you please keep me, and others with this problem, informed of any changes to the situation. Thanks for your assistance, and I apologise again for my hostility.
Edit: It's an impressive coincidence that an ATI chipset causes the Nvidia driver to fail, considering ATI & Nvidia are rival companies.
Perhaps ATI/Nvidia are each trying to drive users away from the other group's products, hence the shelving of this bug.
Old 12-13-06, 06:06 AM   #115
mmartinmate

I think that ATI and Nvidia should take example form Intel and bring more support to OpenSource, if their drivers was OpenSoruce ( not necessarily GPL) the problem will be solved with the community work.
For next computer I will try another Chipset for Motherboard and Graphic Adapter.
I have had another problem with Real Time Clock (double speed) but the solution was quickly implemented in kernel with the support of Novell (Suse) and AMD for testing patches until the problem was solved.

Edit: I think that some of the affected users (me too) will be beta tester for proposed solutions.

Miguel Martín.
mmartinmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 04:42 AM   #116
lithiumfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartinmate
I think that ATI and Nvidia should take example form Intel and bring more support to OpenSource
I agree. It'd mean the open source community would take up development of the driver and Nvidia wouldn't need to do much, if anything, to maintain it (perhaps the project could be offloaded?).

Shouldn't this topic be made a sticky, since it's a bug pending investigation and is a widespread problem.

Old 12-15-06, 09:24 AM   #117
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Sticky posts are posts that are relevant to everyone. While it might be surprising, a relatively small percentage of people using the NVIDIA driver are running into this problem. This isn't a widespread problem, its a problem that is specific to people using GeForce 6200TC cards in systems with AT RS48x chipset motherboards.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 12-15-06, 07:44 PM   #118
lithiumfx

Quote:
Sticky posts are posts that are relevant to everyone. While it might be surprising, a relatively small percentage of people using the NVIDIA driver are running into this problem. This isn't a widespread problem, its a problem that is specific to people using GeForce 6200TC cards in systems with AT RS48x chipset motherboards.

Thanks,
Lonni
This topic is eight pages and counting, meaning it's generated a lot of interest. To prevent this topic quietly slipping away, and thus those who are affected by this issue not knowing of the status of the fix, it should be pinned. "While it might be surprising", Lonni, this topic is relevant to users experiencing a problem that's not been fixed, and if this topic isn't obvious to visitors, you may get reposts regarding the issue.
Old 12-15-06, 08:12 PM   #119
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

This topic isn't going to be pinned any more than any other thread with a known bug isn't pinned. This forum has search functionality which everyone is welcome & encouraged to use.

If you're looking for good news, I can report today that this issue will be worked around in the next driver release.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 12-15-06, 08:33 PM   #120
lithiumfx

Quote:
If you're looking for good news, I can report today that this issue will be worked around in the next driver release.
Glad to hear it. I hope the next release is worth the wait. I guess this also means that it's been a software problem all along?
Keep us posted. Thanks for your support with this problem.