glxgears - went for 7 minutes, crashed.
glxgears - went for 1 minute, crashed
glxgears - went for 10 minutes, crashed
Movie - played for 1 minute, crashed
mcduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-06, 04:48 PM   #15
mcduck

Default Re: Nvidia 6200 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities

Could it be of any help if i provided a root ssh to my box that hangs for Nvidia to look at?
mcduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 11:29 PM   #16
doctor-frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysbuild1
Hello.

Is this issue beeing tested or is there a solution in the end of the tunnel?

We just shipped over 200 computers with this configuration for linux use (HP w5150.no Athlon 64)

Kind regards
yes, please -- is there anything in the pipeline?

just installed Suse 10.0 on an HP t3345.uk -- and discovered now that I've an RS480 chipset, hence the same problems.

latest Nvidia drivers installed via YOU -- and the thing crashes quite a lot. (no problems when I use the vanilla SuSE generic drivers -- but that means jerky DVDs and annoying, weird text-cursor trails.) new linux kernel makes no difference (currently running 2.6.13-15).

FYI, I don't use intensive graphics programmes or games. In fact, freezes are far more common when I've just left the machine to idle -- though a couple have happened in the middle of work -- and one even when the drivers were loading up and all I had was the Nvidia spash-screen.

would post a bug-log; but not sure what directory it's placed in. still, with the hard crash, it's hard to see how that would help, as others have said.
doctor-frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 11:47 PM   #17
doctor-frog

incidentally, has anyone noticed whether or not it makes a difference if you turn 3D acceleration off?

I don't actually need 3D acceleration on any kind of regular basis -- so that would be a workable, if not exactly ideal, fix until a real solution is sorted.

=============
added later:

blast, blast, blast. i thought I turned off 3D, crashed again -- but discovered when I checked with SaX2 (via YAST) that it hadn't been turned off. Tried again (and again and again) -- unticked the little "activate 3D acceleration" box on the "graphics card and monitor" window -- but each time I save the settings and then re-open YAST/SaX2, the little box has been re-ticked. Looks as if the blasted changes aren't "taking".

Can anyone advise where to look in Xorg.conf so I can manually edit the file to turn 3D acceleration off?

Last edited by doctor-frog; 04-09-06 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-11-06, 06:23 AM   #18
doctor-frog

so ... errrm ... to repeat a question asked by several: Is there a fix in the works?

I've managed to get the crashes down to once-a-day by keeping KDE's OpenGL screensavers out of the loop.

But, obviously, that's far from ideal; and I'm not too thrilled at having potentially a 600 doorstop on my hands.
Old 04-11-06, 10:44 AM   #19
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I've not been able to reproduce this problem on the one ATI RS48x system that I have here. As such, no bug is currently open for this problem, and no fix is in progress.

-Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 07:44 AM   #20
doctor-frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I've not been able to reproduce this problem on the one ATI RS48x system that I have here. As such, no bug is currently open for this problem, and no fix is in progress.
Well, if you want to trade computers, I can give you my shipping address. I assure you, you'll be able to reproduce it on mine!

Seriously: what will it take to get info to you about this? If it's a hard lock-up, as others seem to suggest, I assume that it wouldn't be possible to telnet in from another machine on the home network and run a bug report? Does a bug report run after re-boot give any useful info at all?

Is there any idea amongst either users or Nvidia staff how widespread the issue is? Is it happening on most boxes with this configuration, or is it more a fluke on an unlucky few?

To be honest, I find it really dispiriting to have splashed out on this shiny new computer, only to find that I have to tread on eggshells and say 15 Hail Marys in hopes that the software that's meant to run it won't crash it in the middle of something important. If I can help, I certainly will try. But I'd definitely be minded to beg Nvidia to look into it closely. There can't be a terribly small number of people with this configuration, as certainly mine's a well-marketed mass produced box, and ATI are pretty wide-spread; it can't be good for anyone, including Nvidia.

Old 04-12-06, 02:01 PM   #21
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I can't trade you a system, however if you're willing to ship yours here, that would ensure that the problem gets reproduced, and a bug is opened for development to look at. If you'd like to ship the system, send me a private message, and I'll give you a shipping address.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 12:11 AM   #22
doctor-frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I can't trade you a system, however if you're willing to ship yours here, that would ensure that the problem gets reproduced, and a bug is opened for development to look at. If you'd like to ship the system, send me a private message, and I'll give you a shipping address.
sorry, no. it was a bit of a throw-away line. i'm afraid I need my computer for work far too much on a day-to-day basis to ship it anywhere. I can give you my specs. I suspect that Nvidia ought to be able to afford a computer of the same sort as well as a free download of SuSE Linux.

But the other matters still apply -- have you any suggestions for getting bug info off of it? I'd certainly try to help within my ability. I'm no guru; but I'm o.k. with simple instructions to the command line and straightforward networking.

also, again: how widespread is the problem thought to be?

Last edited by doctor-frog; 04-13-06 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-14-06, 11:22 AM   #23
davew69

Hello,

I'd like to report the same problem. I picked up a new 'puter last weekend. It's a HP Pavillion Athlon 64 3700 with an nvidia 6200PCI turbocache 256. Specs here:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en...-68539641.html

I put in the hardrive from the old PC which had a 32 bit Fedora Core 5. That froze when using anything 3D. So then I installed the 64 bit version of FC5 and same problem. I used the livna nvidia drivers.

I didnt really pay attention to the freezing at first as my old machine also crashed a lot using nvidia drivers but after several reboots seemed to stay stable for days on end. But this one is just freezing and the cursor doesnt even move.

Not sure what other info would be required.
davew69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 09:07 AM   #24
doctor-frog

To repeat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor-frog
have you any suggestions for getting bug info off of it? I'd certainly try to help within my ability. . . .

also, again: how widespread is the problem thought to be?
clearly there are more than a few with this issue, and decent graphics cards are not inexpensive ... . (and even with the cheapies, I'd still have spent my hard-earned money expecting one of the most basic and necessary components of my box actually to work.)

i will help if i possibly can. the daily crashes just aren't doing it for me -- nor, i suspect for the many others. but getting advice from the source is important.

==================

edit:

ALTERNATIVELY: Does anyone at Nvidia know -- or do any other posters? -- of a video card chipset (Nvidia or otherwise) in about the same price range as the 6200SE, or maybe one degree up, that does NOT produce the same kind of crashes with Linux, Nvidia drivers, and the RS480/482 motherboard chipset? -- i.e., one that works like it should do?

Recommendations, please? I really shouldn't have to switch out the video card so soon on a brand new box, but i will, if that's what it will take and a fix isn't forthcoming.

what about the GeForce 7300? any known issues with that one? how does it compare in specs with the 6200se?
what about the 6600? I don't see anything on the forum to suggest there's a problem with that.

Last edited by doctor-frog; 04-15-06 at 11:07 PM.