Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-11-06, 12:19 PM   #37
streetmagix

Default Re: Nvidia 6200 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities

hi,
the thing that is common in most of these cases? msi motherboards. i have a RS480M2 and i had this problem, i then upgraded to a 7600GS, one or two similar problems, it seems to be working perfectly now, will update you later after i have a few hours gaming with it.
thanks,
Simon 'streetmagix' Stirrat
streetmagix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 01:52 PM   #38
justinj

I have what sounds like the same issue. I purchased a cheap compaq with the hopes of making a htpc. I bought a fanless Gigabyte 6600(not the 6200), and I have the same hard lockup issue. Except, mine appears to happen without really excercising any intensive graphics. It just locks up about once everyday while sitting idle most of the time.
I don't need 3d acceleration, so my question is, how much overlay and mpeg2 acceleration would I loose if I just revert back to the nv drivers?

Also has there been any progress on this issue? any betas to try out? Is there anyway one can "subscribe" to the status of a given PR number?
Thanks,
Justin
justinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 12:35 AM   #39
justinj

Ok, so I guess I didn't realize the nv drivers don't support tv output. I must HAVE to use nvidia drivers to get tv output, but if I use them, the system locks hard. I guess I'm screwed with my configuration until someone fixes this issue or generates a workaround.
Unless anyone knows of a way to get TV output working using the nv drivers on a pcie 6600 card.
Old 07-14-06, 03:52 AM   #40
woldra

Thumbs down Re: Nvidia 6200 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities

i contacted Lonni directly and I got an impressive answer...
it basicly says nvidia prioritised the issue behind other task (which usually means "we don't care") and I should pressure the company I bought the hardware from... as if they write a working driver just for me?!?

people are reporting success when using other nvidia cards... sorry but why should I support behaviour like this and buy another card???

Last edited by woldra; 07-14-06 at 08:02 AM.
woldra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 09:22 AM   #41
justinj

So has anyone had any success with ANY PCI-E Nvidia cards with the rs480 chipset in Linux?

If I had an agp slot, I'd use my old fx5500, but I don't. And I don't have any PCI slots to give up.

If I understand things correctly, there isn't anything ATI can or should be doing about this issue is there? If not I would have assumed Nvidia would have a vested interrest in fixing this problem, since many of the recent HP/Compaq machines use this chipset.
Old 07-18-06, 04:59 AM   #42
woldra

are there any guarantees from nvidias side or does nvidia want the user to buy various cards until they find one that works??? I'm really suprised that there is no reaction from nvidia at all.
Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for any users comments on this issue but it's nvidia who are not capable and not willing to help their customers.
Old 07-19-06, 08:04 PM   #43
sniart

Hi,
I'm running dapper with all the lastest updates and i'm having this problem also. I have a GeForce 6200 and every time i try to run an OpenGL aplication (like Xgl+compiz and google earth) the computer freezes completly.
I don't beleive that nVidia will leave this issue unsolved, it would be a disrespect for all of us who bougth an nVidia card.

Does anybody have any news on this issue?
sniart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 12:33 AM   #44
woldra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniart
[...]
I don't beleive that nVidia will leave this issue unsolved, it would be a disrespect for all of us who bougth an nVidia card.
and I believe that Mr Bush will do some voluntary work in the middle east...
in ideal world you would be right... but welcome on planet earth...
the 6200 linux users is not exactly the primary source of income so they dont care about your problem at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniart
Does anybody have any news on this issue?
nvidia says:
"This bug is currently prioritized behind other issues. I'd suggest pressuring the company where you purchased the hardware, if you require a faster resolution timeframe."
think about it what you like but to me it sounds like 'get lost'

still looking for alternatives...
Regards,
Wolfgang

Old 07-28-06, 12:49 PM   #45
silentscoper

Disappointing to hear this news. Im running an eVGA Geforce 6200 TurboCache 256mb on a Compaq Presario 1750NX which also uses the RS480/ATI Xpress 200 Chipset but on the Windows Media Center Edition OS. For me, this problem does not happen every time I run a game/graphic intensive program but does so only once out of 3 times I'm playing a game. I used to only get this problem when I played specific games (America's Army and Space Cowboys) but now it happens on every program I use that can go fullscreen. I've tried disabling graphics acceleration. Strange thing was that after I installed the latest driver, the problem disappeared for 2-3 days but came back occurring more often than ever.
silentscoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 02:00 AM   #46
a.oroni

Angry Re: Nvidia 6200 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinj
So has anyone had any success with ANY PCI-E Nvidia cards with the rs480 chipset in Linux?

If I had an agp slot, I'd use my old fx5500, but I don't. And I don't have any PCI slots to give up.

If I understand things correctly, there isn't anything ATI can or should be doing about this issue is there? If not I would have assumed Nvidia would have a vested interrest in fixing this problem, since many of the recent HP/Compaq machines use this chipset.
I have a MS-7168 (RS480 chipset) and a 7300GS but 3D is unusable
a.oroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 03:48 AM   #47
woldra

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentscoper
Disappointing to hear this news. Im running an eVGA Geforce 6200 TurboCache 256mb on a Compaq Presario 1750NX which also uses the RS480/ATI Xpress 200 Chipset
it seems nvidia decided to completly ignore this issue - not a single reaction... the same with customer"we do not"care
anyway: I got hold of a 6600 PCIe and its working well under linux and freebsd.

HTH,
Wolfgang
Old 08-23-06, 06:00 AM   #48
MMRRMM@terra.es
deflagmator

Angry Re: Nvidia 6200 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I've reproduced this problem and opened bug 227803.

Thanks,
Lonni
Please can you Lonni tell us which is he status of this bug?

I have one RS480/ATI Xpress 200P Chipset (compaq presario sr1419ES) with geforce 6200 TC and I have once a day one complete hang. If I use some GLX 3d application the system hang is inmediate . (I have the last UBUNTU dapper updated).

regards.

Marcos
MMRRMM@terra.es is offline   Reply With Quote