Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-20-03, 01:25 PM   #1
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Default Having some serious problems.... HELP!

Hey, I originaly posted my problem at the Battlefield 1942 forums, so heres the link.
http://boards.ea.com/messages?14@44....MZc.6@.efb2c6d

OK, the BASIC idea: One minute the game(BF1942) worked fine (although I had a problem with my mouse wheel), the next, it wouldnt even start up. I just get sent back to the desktop after the monitor "clicks" twice to change resolution. I get a similar problem in Arx Fatalis when I change resolution while the game is playing (if I do it before loading a game, it works fine).

For those of you who dont want to check that link, here is what the original creator of the thread wrote (this isnt me):
------------------------------------------------------
900amd athlon - 256 mg ram - nvidia gforce II (updated drivers)- WinME - DirectX 9

Battlefield origonal store bought cd with 1.2 and coral sea patches installed.

I have played this game on my system up until 2 weeks ago (took a break) , i go to start it up last night and it starts up and then drops back to desktop when i hit play. When i check the EAinfo it tells me i have 901 to 904 AMD Thunderbird. I have only put one program on the system since this one (Wizardry 8) and have added a new mouse.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
--------------------------------------------------------
No one gave him any helpfull advice.....

When I got the problem, I searched the forums and found the above thread. here is what I responded with:
-------------------------------------------------
Did this guy ever figure out the problem? Im having the SAME thing. It worked fine for a while and now it doesnt. I reinstalled the game and it still does it.
Ive got Windows 98SE, DirectX9 and a Geforce 4 Ti4400, Gigabyte GA7VRX, TB Santa Cruz etc. etc.. I noticed the problem yesterday although it could have been there for a few weeks (hadnt played BF for a while).

Here are the changes made to my computer since the last time I *KNOW* the game worked: updated vid drivers(41.09 didnt work with Arx Fatalis so I got 41.80 then later upgraded to 42.01... just found out that 42.01 were causing other games to crash, so im back to 41.80... which make first person weapons all wierd in BF!), got directX 9 and installed a new Logitech MX500 mouse (coincidence?). Also installed some tweaking programs for the newer video drivers, Riva-Tuner (newest) and aTuner (newest). Ive since uninstalled Riva-Tuner, just for trouble-shooting purposes (it obviously wasnt the cause of the problem tho!).
UPDATE: I just found out that the crashing with the other games (not BF1942) was caused by overheating. Ive since totaly cured the problem. Battlefield is the only issue now and it is NOT caused by heat.

Important info:
*Start BF: I get the normal resolution-change flicker from the monitor, then it does it again and im back to desktop... no errors.
*Arx Fatalis does this too when I change resolution (while playing), it flickers then im at the desktop. But while playing, the game is still fairly stable: wierd!
*DX-DIAG finds no errors... ???
*I can run 3dmark on a loop for a while (I tested for about 30-40 minutes... one time heavily stressing the video and another time heavily stressing the CPU) without any crashes\lockups... perfectly stable
*NO OTHER GAMES HAVE ANY STABILITY PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW, ONLY BF1942 and ARX FATALIS. I tested Half-Life, UT2k3, Mobile Forces, Vietcong Demo and Morrowind with no problems. All my games were fudged up with 42.01 drivers (crashed constantly), but 41.80 fixed all that.
*This is WIERD: When I reinstall DirectX9 (I just run the web-setup program) BF works after playing ONCE. After that, its back to the same old crap. I REFUSE to install DirectX9 every damn time I want to play Battlefield.

BTW, I also have another problem with BF. The mouse wheel on my MX500 has some serious problems with BF1942 (no I think its the other way around... all other games work fine with this mouse). I roll the wheel up once and it keeps on scrolling in the game. I have mouseware 9.75 installed because without the software, almost all of my other games have problems with the mouse. Im not going to uninstall it. Is there a way to fix this stupid bug? I guess it doesnt matter until BF actually RUNS tho >

Please help me! Im dieing to play BF, a new version of Desert Crisis was just released AND Road to Rome is going to be out soon!!!! GRRR!! What bad timing for the game to screw up!!!!
---------------------------------------------------------

If you need any more info, please ask.

Thanks

Last edited by CaptNKILL; 01-22-03 at 09:30 PM.
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-03, 01:47 PM   #2
The Baron

Uh.

Did you uninstall the game, completely remove the directory, and reinstall?

If you don't completely remove the directory, all your options and such are still being saved. So... that would probably fix it.
Old 01-20-03, 01:52 PM   #3
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Here is a little more detail on what EXACTLY I was doing when the game "broke". I'll try to get it as accurate as possible, this is a very confusing problem so you'll probably need all the details to figure it out.

I had been playing some games (Arx Fatalis, Mobile Forces) and they crashed a lot. I was trying to narrow the problem down to one cause, since they worked fine last week. I switched my case fans around to get better cooling... no luck. Now I knew it wasnt cooling, so I went to try Battlefield 1942 to see if it had problems too. It ran normaly (jerky\laggy so I played for a few minutes. When I tried to change weapons with my mouse wheel, it wouldnt stop scrolling. I emediatly knew that the mouse-ware for my new Logitech MX500 was the problem. I left the game to change some mouse settings in hopes of fixing the problem (see how one thing leads to another? at this point my original problem with all games crashing was still present). This is where things are a little foggy (cant remember exactly how it went). I THINK I tried the game another time and the mouse problem was still present. So I restarted. I tried the game again.... nothing. It didnt even load. At this point I thought that the mouse problem was just a sign of the game being corrupt and now it was dead.

So I reinstalled the game. Patched, installed Coral Sea, Installed CD Crack (yes, I bought the game). Still NOTHING. At this point I was a bit uhm... "frustrated" with my computer. So, I went down the list of possible things that could cause the game to screw up. I uninstalled the vid drivers and used det-destroyer (I dont even think it did anything), then reinstalled the same drivers I had before(42.01). No change, other games still crashed too.

THEN, I reinstalled 41.80 drivers (which I had been using relyably for weeks, but gave me texture probs in BF1942, so when 42.01 came out I got those instead). ALL of my games work fine with these drivers now! BUT NOT BATTLEFIELD. I still get the same crash with Arx Fatalis and BF1942, but all my other games LOVE these drivers. At this point, im stumped. I start running system checking utils. No corrupt files

UPDATE: I just found out that the crashing with the other games (not BF1942) was caused by overheating. Ive since totaly cured the problem. Battlefield is the only issue now and it is NOT caused by heat.

So I go hunt down my DirectX9 Web-Installer. I reinstall DX9.

I try BF, AND IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I didnt get a chance to try Arx)

The gun textures\sprites are screwy because of the 41.80 drivers but the game WORKS. The mouse wheel problem was still there.

I was happy with the results here, but the game was a bit jerky because I had just done a bunch of crap before playing the game so I left the game, restarted and prepaired to play it online (smoothly!). NOPE!!!!!!! It didnt work, AGAIN. Its like the damn game or maybe DirectX breaks itself or something..... ive delt with MANY problems over the years, but its these massive DirectX-related problems that always stump me. Stupid directX >

Hope this info helps.

Last edited by CaptNKILL; 01-22-03 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-20-03, 01:54 PM   #4
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Uh.

Did you uninstall the game, completely remove the directory, and reinstall?

If you don't completely remove the directory, all your options and such are still being saved. So... that would probably fix it.
Yes, I deleted the directory right after doing this.

Please read the post I just made, it should clear things up a bit. Or make them more confusing
Old 01-20-03, 02:33 PM   #5
CaptNKILL
CUBE

If you dont want to search the text for them, here are my complete system specs:

-Windows 98SE (fully updated)
-DirectX 9 (installed from web-setup)
-Athlon XP 1800+
-Gigabyte GA-7VRX KT333 Mobo (newest BIOS and newest 4in1 drivers)
-512Mbs PC-2700 (tried at CAS2 and CAS2.5... no affect on BF1942)
-evga Geforce 4 Ti4400 (overclocked to 300\650- lowering to default clocks didnt help)
-Currently using Nvidia 42.01 drivers
-Turtle Beach Santa Cruz using 4167 WDM drivers (I wish they would update drivers!)
-60gig Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 Hard Drive (about 14gigs used)
-Logitech MX500 Optical mouse with newest mouseware (running)
-Linksys NC100 PCI Network Card
-Charter Pipeline Cable Internet
-Minimum 768Mb Swap file max 2048Mbs (hehe)

Programs running with windows:
-Cacheman -Im thinking of disabling it now that ive got 512Mbs of RAM, with 256 I used it to "free" memory before playing memory hog games
-Windows Key Killer -I hate bumping that stupid key during games
-Logitech Mouse Config (Em_Exec) -Need it for most games so I can use some of the buttons and the wheel

I regularly defrag and scandisk (every few days) and run adaware every week or so.

Last edited by CaptNKILL; 01-22-03 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-20-03, 04:00 PM   #6
Jon

Can't promise this will work for you... but I was using the 30.82 drivers and BF1942 was working fine. When I upgraded to the 40's set of drivers, I had the same problem, when changing screen resolution the game would drop back to the desktop. I finally got it to work when I noticed that the 40's set of drivers incude a slider Application--Balanced--Aggressive. Mine was set to balanced. I set it to application and everything worked again. This slider seems only to be in more recent versions of the drivers. I think its worth a try... its also worth noting that in the readme file for the Splinter Cell demo, it also mentions this setting and says it MUST be set to Application!!! So there must be something bad about it.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-03, 05:30 PM   #7
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Nope, doesnt work

Thanks for the input though.

Please, if anyone has any ideas, im all ears (eyes?).
Old 01-20-03, 05:39 PM   #8
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I just played Arx Fatalis for about an hour and a half with only 1 crash. It happened while loading. Ive gotten the "Fatal Memory Errors" in this game, its not one of those. It just went to the desktop with no messages.
I have a feeling its being caused by whatever is making BF1942 not work.

BTW, I just did some experimenting. Whatever is causing BF to crash is not caused by resolution change. The default resolution (the one that the BF menus are set at) is 800x600x32. Sooo... you dont need to change resolution if your DESKTOP is the same res, right? I set my desktop to 800x600 and ran BF. Still no go. It doesnt have to change res to crash. It just flicks black, really fast, then im at the desktop again.

Of all these issues, the one that stumps me the most is how re-installing DX9 fixes it until I restart.... if we can figure out what would change after restarting, I think we've got this thing solved.

Last edited by CaptNKILL; 01-22-03 at 09:32 PM.

Old 01-20-03, 07:34 PM   #9
The Baron

have you used RefreshForce (see link in Det Drivers forum) to set refresh rates and then properly set it in BF1942's config file?
Old 01-20-03, 08:05 PM   #10
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
have you used RefreshForce (see link in Det Drivers forum) to set refresh rates and then properly set it in BF1942's config file?
Im using Windows 98, arent refresh rate bugs strictly Windows XP\2000 related?

Anyway, I DID try the "renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 1" command in the videodefault.con file (one of the first things I did). I read at the BF1942 forums that it fixed this kind of problem, but since its an XP\2000 only bug, it had no effect.

Im all out of ideas

Anyone know of a DirectX\3D guru that knows every possible way the API can malfuntion, and ways to fix each individual problem? Thats what I need
Old 01-21-03, 01:21 PM   #11
CaptNKILL
CUBE

ahA!! Heres some new info!!!

I just tried BF again. IT WORKED. I closed it and then it didnt work. (?)

So.,... I logged off (rather than restart). Emediatly after logging on, I ran the game, IT WORKED. Then I quit, and it didnt work. I tried a few more times: no go.

THEN, I logged off again, and this time, I waited a few seconds after everything was all loaded, then tried the game. DIDNT WORK.

Logged off again, tried the game real fast (while windows was still loading) and it WORKED.

Appearently, something is loading near the end of windows startup (something new, that wasnt there 3 weeks ago) that is causing BF to not work. There is deffinitly something wrong here.

I'll experiment a little more to see if im wrong
Old 01-21-03, 01:30 PM   #12
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Does anyone know about a "startup configuration" program that lets me edit registry entries (since thats probably the cause) I think thats what I need.

I have a program that shows me what processes are running in the background called CoralSoft Taskmanager. I just got it yesterday and it seems like it will be very usefull. BUT, I checked every program running with windows, and they are all normal windows programs (or things that I have been using for a while). So either one of those windows programs is damaged (unlikely), or its a registry entry that doesnt show up in a running-processes list.

I think im getting this, I just hope im on the right track