Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-21-03, 01:47 PM   #13
CaptNKILL
CUBE

ok, it appears that logging off then logging back on leaves my startup programs in RAM (although they still have to load) so it doesnt give me enough time to start the game before the offending program\instruction loads. So a restart is necisary to be able to play BF before it loads.

i just played a few quick rounds and it worked just fine! And get this:
while typing this message I tried the game again and it worked!

Then I tried again: AND IT DIDNT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I need some proffessional help..... no not a psychiatrist (yet!). Please, if anyone reads this, at least give some input. I was under the impression that these boards were fairly active.... im having my doubts :\
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-03, 02:06 PM   #14
Smokey
Team Rainbow

start, run, type: msconfig, from there you can see which programs are starting at startup. Someother things, check the general software forum and a thread about adawre. Run a scan for spyware, also do a virus scan. Theres are just some ideas, dont know if it will help.
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-03, 02:56 PM   #15
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I know all about msconfig (im no n00b! ) , and as I said above, I run adaware every few weeks (rust ran it).

However, ive NEVER done a virus scan in my life (never EVER had any trouble with viruses) so I decided to try it. I used McAfee (sp?) free scan on their website. It took a while and scanned 44900 files....... and no virus

Thanks for the tips tho, virus scanning never even crossed my mind, it was worth a try
Old 01-21-03, 09:59 PM   #16
CaptNKILL
CUBE

OK, since know one has any ideas about the problem itself. How about advice? Im not going to reinstall my OS or format my hard drive. Thats out of the question.

Anyone know where I should go about something like this? Im not going to bother emailing Microsoft because they will say its a problem with the game (when Im pretty sure its not, simply because the game works great when Windows LETS it).

Dont make me beg guys! Someone has got to have some helpfull info.

How about another forum\site\person to give this problem to? That would be the next best thing. Im stumped
Old 01-21-03, 10:41 PM   #17
zippermcfrag
measure twice cut once

If you have mouseware istalled uninstall it.
Radeon 9700 pro
Pinnacle PCTV
zippermcfrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-03, 02:19 PM   #18
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally posted by zippermcfrag
If you have mouseware istalled uninstall it.
I tried dissabling it at startup and it didnt fix the problem. Actually, I dissabled ALL of my startup items (only systray loading with windows) and nothing changed.

Is mouseware known to make games crash? Ive had plenty of trouble with it and mouse functions in games, but it seems to help more than it hurts in that aspect (I cant use my mouse wheel at all in some games without the software). Ive never had any stability problems with it before this.

Thanks for the input tho.
Old 01-22-03, 03:46 PM   #19
fastguy94416
The Shadow

It may have been mentioned before, but have you tried the 41.09 drivers? I'm using those and they work just fine with bf 1942
NEC ND-3540a Toshiba 16x DVD ROM
Dell 1905fp Windows XP Pro
fastguy94416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-03, 06:27 PM   #20
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I guess I could try them again, but I used 41.80 for a few rounds of BF (right after christmas) and never had this problem. Im using them now and it doesnt work. I really cant think what would have caused this. I installed DirectX9 and the 41.80 drivers on XMas day because I tried to run Arx Fatalis and it didnt work (41.09 doesnt work with that game). I didnt start having this problem with BF until I played the game a few days ago.

ugh, im talking in circles again

This crap is driving me nuts!!!!!!! ARRRRRHGGG!!!!!!!

Old 01-22-03, 08:25 PM   #21
CaptNKILL
CUBE

OK, heres a small update.

The problem is ONLY present in Battlefield 1942. Nothing else.

The problem I had with Arx Fatalis was caused by heat. I played Mobile Forces right after Arx crashed and it crashed too, a sure sign of overheating on the video card's core (which is "highly" overclocked). It was cured by making better air circulation in my case (CPU fan pulls air AWAY and blows it out the side fan, as the back fan pulls air away from the CPU too... this lowered my Case temps from 35 degrees C [OUCH!] to 26). I checked my other games and they also stopped crashing. So im back with 42.01 drivers (since I now know that it was heat, not the drivers that made my system unstable).

So to sum it up:
BATTLEFIELD CRASHING IS THE ONLY PROBLEM IVE GOT NOW. My PC is working great besides that. And with the new patch coming out along with Road to Rome, im getting a bit nervous

Please help.
Old 01-22-03, 08:30 PM   #22
Im0n

This is a longshot but ur new mouse is prob a USB
ur old mouse had it USB or Ps2 ?
If Ps2 didnt u get a converter with ur new mouse ? try it out.

Had problems with Diablo 2 about 2 years ago with my USB mouse snapped on the converter and used it as a Ps2 no problems .

As i said this is a longshot .
Im0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-03, 08:36 PM   #23
CaptNKILL
CUBE

hmm.... its worth a try!

Ive got a dozen converters laying around here... just have to find them...... lol
Old 01-22-03, 09:49 PM   #24
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Default YAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

It turns out that you were RIGHT Im0n. All this DAMN trouble was with the way Logitech mouseware recognized my USB mouse (MX500). When it was in the PS2 slot it worked fine (although it doesnt stay in very good, it nearly fell out... stupid converter) and I loaded the game 10 times with no trouble. Without rebooting, I switched ports (back to USB). And the game didnt load. Then I switched back and it worked another 5 times.

So i uninstalled mouseware and installed the Logitech drivers (windows ones dont work for crap with this mouse). And im still using the mouse on USB. Now, Mobile Forces can see the middle mouse button and the wheel just fine, this time WITHOUT mouseware (it even defaults the "back" button on the mouse to the same function as the middle mouse button: which was how I used it WITH the mouseware).

The only NEW problem now: Arx Fatalis only recognizes the left and right buttons. No big deal really, I have key already set for the function that I am missing now

One problem still remains with Battlefield: once I touch the damn mouse wheel, it just keeps scrolling and scrolling! Whether it be through weapons or in menus, it never stops until I reposition the wheel (if I roll up 1 it doesnt go away until I roll down 1). I guess this is a more well-known problem with newer logitech mice (MX500 and MX700 I think) so hopefully there will be some support. Until then, I'll have to reeeaaach across the keyboard and select the weapons by number

BTW, zippermcfrag's advice was correct it turns out. Too bad he didnt elaborate. I would have done it a few days ago had I known it was capable of fixing crashes but I thought he just said that "just because". Oh well, thats how it goes some times

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP PEOPLE!!!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!! Im0n, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by CaptNKILL; 01-22-03 at 09:52 PM.