Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-11-06, 06:13 PM   #1
softh

Red face KVMs & Dual Head FX5200 & Linux

Hi
I use a PowerReach KVM401PR-OSD KVM switch. I am looking at purchasing a nVidia branded GeForce5200 Dual Head card. I was wondering if anyone was using such thru a midrange KVM like mine. The dual head FX5200 cards I see have only one 15DSUB connector, is a signal spliter used? Can the signal be split past the KVM.

Is it necessary to match the two display devices resolutions, power loads, impedence, etc. I would like to use my existing SyncMaster152N as the secondary with say a new 20" wide format LCD as the primary at obviously a different resolution than the 768x1024 for the secondary Samsung 15". Is this possible? Do these cards support individual rotation of the displays output in Linux? Can the heads output from different console sessions? different desktop workspaces in the same session? extended desktops?

This would mostly be used as a 2D design and development work station. Only basic 3D rendering with a low frame rate would be required. Is there a good hardware FAQ for these issues around?
Thanks
Matthew
softh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-06, 06:06 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: KVMs & Dual Head FX5200 & Linux

In case of twinview you can use different resolutions on both outputs fine. Note that twinview won't work outside X, so having two different console sessions is not possible. You can have different desktop workspaces (use separate X screens see the driver doc for more information about it) and extended desktops should work fine too.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote